John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He said prior to this interview they were going to emulate the Rays.  I don’t know why anyone is surprised by any of this.  He said that they probably won’t be able to keep people here their whole careers.  After Machado, is that a surprise to anyone ?   Suppose Gunnar becomes a superstar, would you want the Orioles when he hit free agency to offer a 10-12 year deal?   Did you think they should have paid Machado?

The Rays with a hiigher  payroll

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Do you think Gunnar is going to sign an 11-year deal with an AAV of 16.5M dollars?

I don’t know what you are getting at here. All anyone can ask for is a legitimate attempt to retain a young player. If they honestly do that and the player says no thanks than so be it. 

As of now there is no evidence they even want to try. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know what you are getting at here. All anyone can ask for is a legitimate attempt to retain a young player. If they honestly do that and the player says no thanks than so be it. 

As of now there is no evidence they even want to try. 

Where is the mystery? It was suggested that because the Rays signed Franco, we should be able to sign Gunnar. Realize that 200M dollars is worth a lot more in the DR than it is in the USA. There is 0 chance that Gunnar is going to sign a 10-year deal at age 22 when in a few years he'll be a 400M dollar player. I'm sure Boras is showing him contracts like Acuna that are cautionary tales. Acuna has been worth 226M through age 25, he's on an 8-year deal with an AAV of 12.5M and 100M overall.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Do you think Gunnar is going to sign an 11-year deal with an AAV of 16.5M dollars?

I don't know what he'd sign for but he has 3 more pre-arb years after this season, followed by 3 additional arb years after that, so there's a lot of leverage for the Orioles.  Locking him and/or Adley up would mean a great deal because right now the fans have seen zero commitment to the future.  That ass won't even sign the new stadium lease and there are growing fears that the star players, and Elias, will soon leave turning the Orioles into the Pirates forever.  That's a great way to lose fans in the seats, advertisement dollars, jersey sales and everything else that generates revenue.

1 minute ago, Royle said:

I wonder if Mike Elias has seen this article and what his thoughts would be.  After all, hasn’t he assured fans repeatedly that the money will be made available when the time comes to spend ?

Elias knows who he works for, I'm sure none of this is a shock to him. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't read up on everything.  But is there is a time frame that the $600M sunsets?  That is, does a long-term lease need to be in place by date X to get the $600M?  I don't think that a bill authorizing such money can extend too far in the future.

Angelos is using an expiring lease to try further his personal wealth. If owning a team is so awful, get out of the business.

I’m sure the Orioles would benefit from more local attractions, that’s common sense. This money is earmarked for stadium upgrades. Plenty of teams in markets similar to Baltimore have signed talented young players to long term deals. As of now you are really only talking about Adley and Gunnar anyway. I certainly don’t expect them to keep all the players who are closer to FA in the next handful of years nor would I want them to anyway. 

This is a man who claims to care so much about Baltimore and yet the gates open later than years ago except for Saturday nights. I don’t want to hear about workforce issues. Are you saying you don’t have enough employees once the games start either? Anyone with a functioning brain knows it’s because he doesn’t want to pay those people an extra hour of wages. This isn’t complicated. Those jobs aren’t paid great either. Now they are trying to hire more workers for the stretch drive. How many people unless they are basically retired can would be in a position to work those kind of jobs anyway? I guess there are some people who can use the Orioles as a second job but that would be an extremely long day with a limited pool of applicants. Not like it’s a job where you would be assured of a full seasons pay. 

Everything he has done in recent years is about saving money and I’m not even talking about the club payroll. The stadium experience is not as good as it used to be. The Eddie Murray bobblehead night some team employee yelled keep the lines moving once you were handed the bobblehead. I felt like going off on the guy. You have a huge crowd and only use two entry points - the warehouse gates -to get inside. You are flipping surprised it’s a cluster? At least they have opened some more gates after the game to leave lately. The food lines are a debacle. He obviously pinched pennies not sending broadcasters on the road and then hiring inexperienced ones to replace the ones he let go. Now in that article he acts like the Kevin Brown situation should not have happened. As if he didn’t have the ability to stop it? Ditched FanFest as well.

The second he sells his family will acquire hundreds of millions of dollars. He insults people’s intelligence and puts his foot in his mouth on a routine basis. It’s ok for him apparently to benefit but for someone who cares so much about Baltimore and the community I certainly don’t see any evidence of it. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Malike said:

Where is the mystery? It was suggested that because the Rays signed Franco, we should be able to sign Gunnar. Realize that 200M dollars is worth a lot more in the DR than it is in the USA. There is 0 chance that Gunnar is going to sign a 10-year deal at age 22 when in a few years he'll be a 400M dollar player. I'm sure Boras is showing him contracts like Acuna that are cautionary tales. Acuna has been worth 226M through age 25, he's on an 8-year deal with an AAV of 12.5M and 100M overall.

The mystery is publicly saying you can’t.  The hell he can’t. 

We have no idea what any of these guys would sign for. If they don’t make them an offer it doesn’t matter anyway. 

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The mystery is publicly saying you can’t.  The hell he can’t. 

We have no idea what any of these guys would sign for. If they don’t make them an offer it doesn’t matter anyway. 

You don't hire Scott Boras and sign a team-friendly deal. If you want to look at a starting point, simply look at Devers. 11 years 331M dollars. That probably doesn't get it done.