Is Flaherty injured or sick? Kremer starting tonight.

Sports Guy

Just now, accinfo said:

I just heard on 105.7 Flaherty said he just didn’t bounce back from his last start but didn’t sound too specific on what that meant.  It sounded like he wouldn’t be starting anytime soon.  

Only thing I can think of is maybe some kind of a dead arm or something like that. Doesn’t sound like an injury as much as just not having the velo or finish on the pitches.

But maybe there are other interpretations that make sense?

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

You don’t give someone a big overslot bonus and then ship them off for a mediocre SP, two months from free agency. Especially if the results of those first 20 IP have been positive. It was a very puzzling inclusion. 

A big overslot bonus? We gave him $440,000. 

For comparison we gave Maikol Hernández $1.2m. Every winter we give a number of Latin American talents $440,000 or more, you can name at least 10-20 in our system. 

They are lottery tickets. They have some value to the franchise in case one hits and also for the sake of trading lottery tickets to acquire other assets.  

Feels like critique just for the sake of critique, this. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I just heard on 105.7 Flaherty said he just didn’t bounce back from his last start but didn’t sound too specific on what that meant.  It sounded like he wouldn’t be starting anytime soon.  

As long as we don't here about Flaherty paying a visit to Dr. James Andrews for a consult. I was hoping he was just sick.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Montgomery is the one who got traded that I would have liked to have known what we would have needed to trade to get him here.

What I know is that it would have been more than what we gave up for Flaherty.

Montgomery has pitched well so far..facing some very bad and struggling offenses.

I wouldn't have been opposed to giving up a little more for Montgomery but I think that the O's sent fair value to the Cards for Flaherty, who I've had my eye on this entire year. We were told that they struck out on other guys and that the deal for Flaherty was consummated (I believe I read) about 15 minutes prior to the deadline. Could they have been more aggressive or forfeited more for someone better? Sure but I can't think that anyone that fits that description would have been obtainable for the package that they sent for Flaherty, who ran into a very good Padres team that has criminally unperformed this year but torched the O's twice in their house. 

Montgomery has pitched really well in his four starts with the Rangers, going exactly 6 against Miami, Oakland and the Angels (2, 2 and 1 ER in those starts) and 8 against the DBacks, giving up 0 runs. His numbers look really good but as you mention, he's not exactly faced the 1927 Yankees in these starts.

My neighbor is a big Cards fan. What we've seen from Flaherty is exactly what the Cards have gotten from him in his career - a really good outing, an OK outing and a clunker. I am not at all surprised by what he's given the O's so far but I am confident that he's going to be a piece for them over these last 37 games. Why I liked him as a target is that he is still very young, has had success and is a typical guy who the O's acquire and coach up. I'd love to see him take over the Gibson role next season as the veteran innings eater, even if Meansy is healthy and pitching well. As mentioned, Flaherty is young enough still that if healthy, the O's staff may be able to squeeze more out of him, which to me is plenty worth what was exchanged for him this season. 

I think this is more about what Kremer and Gibson have done against the Jays this year than it is about JF.

Gibson has pitched 13 innings against the Jays this year and given up only two earned runs (1.38 ERA against them) 

Kremer has pitched 11.1 innings against the Jays this year and given up only three earned runs (2.38 ERA against them)

I bet JF goes against Colorado on Friday night, when, as we should note, Meansy throws for Norfolk. With the six man rotation, it lines up for John Means to potentially make his season debut September 1 against the DBacks:

Aug 23 Toronto Kremer

Aug 24 Toronto Gibson

Aug 25 Colorado Flaherty

Aug 26 Colorado Irvin

Aug 27 Colorado Bradish

Aug 28 ChiSox GrayRod

Aug 29 ChiSox Kremer

Aug 30 ChiSox Gibson

Sept 1 Arizona Flaherty/Means

Edited by banks703
  • Upvote 1

If what Flaherty says is true and there's not more to it, then good for the organization and for him. Sure, you'd hope that your trade acquisition isn't skipping starts or getting blown up, but at least there's been a potential problem and they are trying to address it. That beats throwing him out there knowing to expect poor results.

That contrasts nicely with the Rizzo situation, less so the Mountcastle vertigo. Maybe they learned something.

How many times over the years have the Orioles pushed a starter out there just because, even though we all knew what would (probably) happen? If they identified this early, great.

2 minutes ago, tsqd said:

If what Flaherty says is true and there's not more to it, then good for the organization and for him. Sure, you'd hope that your trade acquisition isn't skipping starts or getting blown up, but at least there's been a potential problem and they are trying to address it. That beats throwing him out there knowing to expect poor results.

That contrasts nicely with the Rizzo situation, less so the Mountcastle vertigo. Maybe they learned something.

How many times over the years have the Orioles pushed a starter out there just because, even though we all knew what would (probably) happen? If they identified this early, great.

The difference now though than in past years is that they have some rotation depth that affords them the ability to maneuver in this way.

I really think that they this has more to do with the success that both Kremer and Gibson have had against the Jays this year than anything else. JF might actually feel not quite right but it helps that the combo of Gibson and Kremer have a 1.85 ERA against the Jays this year in 24 1/3 innings of work.