Is Flaherty injured or sick? Kremer starting tonight.

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well it's a trade you can only lose, because the O's would have made the playoffs without Flaherty, and he won't pitch in the playoffs (even if he somehow is on the roster).

It's just a matter of how bad you lose the trade when you look back in a couple of years.

Sure they might make the playoffs without him, but their SP and RP could be in tatters at that point without another quality SP without innings limits to help take the load off guys. 

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well it's a trade you can only lose, because the O's would have made the playoffs without Flaherty, and he won't pitch in the playoffs (even if he somehow is on the roster).

It's just a matter of how bad you lose the trade when you look back in a couple of years.

Why do you say Flaherty won’t pitch in the playoffs? I’m pretty sure he and Gibson are the only pitchers we have on the roster with playoff experience. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure they might make the playoffs without him, but their SP and RP could be in tatters at that point without another quality SP without innings limits to help take the load off guys. 

I wanted Jordan Hicks or Jordan Montgomery or ideally both. It is clear that this franchise will never go for it, and we will regret letting this opportunity pass. Jack Flaherty eating innings could have been Austin Voth or a host of other AAAA pitchers eating innings. It was a low risk shot in the dark by a financially strapped organization, that probably no one will remember in a year. It did nothing to improve the chances in the playoffs, and for me that is the only goal so the trade wasn't worth the ink on the contracts.

The division title is worth approximately double, and Flaherty contributes in a Kyle Gibson protecting the last tiny fractions of the Bradish and Grayson and Wells 2023 gas tanks kind of way.

Flaherty's hot and cold I feel gives him a puncher's chance against top competition.

It is a bad look to miss a turn if some of your value is Gibson style though.

• Upvote 1

Geesh. One crappy outing for Flaherty and the sky is falling.

Let’s see where he is six weeks from now.

I liked the trade then and I like it now. We know they made overtures on several pitchers (at least that’s what we were told) and that the Flaherty deal materialized in the 11th hour. They got the best they could get with the resources that they were willing to part with to make a deal. They weren’t getting anyone ‘better’ than JF for what they dealt. Period. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Geesh. One crappy outing for Flaherty and the sky is falling.

Let’s see where he is six weeks from now.

I liked the trade then and I like it now. We know they made overtures on several pitchers (at least that’s what we were told) and that the Flaherty deal materialized in the 11th hour. They got the best they could get with the resources that they were willing to part with to make a deal. They weren’t getting anyone ‘better’ than JF for what they dealt. Period. 

Montgomery is the one who got traded that I would have liked to have known what we would have needed to trade to get him here.

What I know is that it would have been more than what we gave up for Flaherty.

Montgomery has pitched well so far..facing some very bad and struggling offenses.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I wanted Jordan Hicks or Jordan Montgomery or ideally both. It is clear that this franchise will never go for it, and we will regret letting this opportunity pass. Jack Flaherty eating innings could have been Austin Voth or a host of other AAAA pitchers eating innings. It was a low risk shot in the dark by a financially strapped organization, that probably no one will remember in a year. It did nothing to improve the chances in the playoffs, and for me that is the only goal so the trade wasn't worth the ink on the contracts.

Hicks is terrible, what would you want with him?

Sorry, but Showalter is not “all that.” Some promise, sure, but not a future TOR or anything. They paid him what, $400,000, I believe. That is not a huge bonus. He was an asset, and he was used to obtain an asset that can better help us in this season. The chances of Showalter even ever being a ML pitcher are not at all good. We are not going to miss him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

I mean we don’t know what the Cards red line was, or what other teams were offering. But, the value we included felt a lot higher than what we got back. Even if a lottery ticket was traded for a known quantity.

It just feels like the Norris/Hader trade. Or the guy we got for Davies. I think we’ll regret it. 

Hader for Norris and Davies for Parra had quite different outcomes on our end (Norris a key part of the wire-to-wire 2014 rotation, Parra a bust). Which goes to show, not even the "known quantity" is a sure thing. But if Norris and A. Miller enhance your playoff chances at the expense of the less-known outcomes of the prospects you deal, it's usually a prudent gamble. That is, depending on what the goal is. It's basically just trading lower long-term odds for higher short-term odds.

Edited by now