Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

10 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

There is no next man anything close to as good as Bautista. Obviously someone will have to close, but there is an extremely low probability that his replacement will be anywhere near as effective.

What are they supposed to do? Cry about it? I mean, every team has injuries. It is exactly next man up, or roll over and show your belly and die. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

I hate this! Not just for the Orioles but also for Bautista. He was a journeyman before coming to Baltimore and then became the best closer in baseball. He has not yet cashed in on his success and I feel awful for him. The last few days, it’s been about Ohtani potentially losing $100M on his next contract but likely still getting $400M! Bautista is making the league minimum and may have to prove himself all over. Very hard to come back from surgery (if that’s what it is) and still throw 100+ with a biting splitter. Sucks.

The Orioles - while this will impact them, we still have some dominant pieces in the pen. I’ve been cold on Fuji and he needs to step up. Maybe Wells can move back into a closer role with DL Hall helping in late innings. I think we’ll be fine but do worry about late inning playoff games.

Hoping for the best with Felix. Maybe it’s  strain. I just don’t like how he was wiggling his fingers on the right hand after he threw the pitch. It was like he lost feeling in them or something.

WTH are you talking about "Journeyman"? He's pretty much been in the O's organization from the beginning, and outside of bouts of wildness he's always had the velo. It was always a matter of getting some type of control down. I remember in Salisbury when he was closing, that little stadium would be rockin. He's no different than any other pitcher... he'll get fixed up, regardless of what this is and he'll be back.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

WTH are you talking about "Journeyman"? He's pretty much been in the O's organization from the beginning, and outside of bouts of wildness he's always had the velo. It was always a matter of getting some type of control down. I remember in Salisbury when he was closing, that little stadium would be rockin. He's no different than any other pitcher... he'll get fixed up, regardless of what this is and he'll be back.

He was with the Marlins first. I don’t know if I would call him a journeyman either. Long time minor leaguer, yes. 

I am no doctor and I know we’ll find out soon enough, but I mentioned how he was wiggling his fingers after the pitch. If you watch the video you can clearly see it. One possibility:

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome/ Ulnar Nerve Subluxation

Subluxation or compression of this nerve may lead to numbness and tingling in the small finger and outer half of the ring finger. This may occur at night when one sleeps on their arm with the elbow flexed or may occur with activities such as pitching. Subluxation is when the nerve slips part way out of its grove. This can cause a popping sensation on the inner part of the elbow. Subluxation is common and most times does not cause a problem.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

He was with the Marlins first. I don’t know if I would call him a journeyman either. Long time minor leaguer, yes. 

Journeyman is the wrong word. He spent 9 years in the minors before hitting the big leagues which is a long time. That said, he did start at a young age but his rookie year, he was age 27 which is older than most.

• Upvote 1

Anxious to get a diagnosis, but speculation is pretty worthless. While they were talking about his knee on the broadcast, what stood out to me was how little he was moving his right arm. Reminded me of when my son had nurses elbow when he was about 3 years old. My point is NOT to say he has an elbow issue, it’s that the lack of arm movement made me immediately think it wasn’t his knee. I can’t think of a similar scene that didn’t end up being a major issue. Praying it’s not, but based on his instant physical recoil after the arm came through, the chances it isn’t a lengthy absence are slim. Really unfortunate situation. 

22 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Anxious to get a diagnosis, but speculation is pretty worthless. While they were talking about his knee on the broadcast, what stood out to me was how little he was moving his right arm. Reminded me of when my son had nurses elbow when he was about 3 years old. My point is NOT to say he has an elbow issue, it’s that the lack of arm movement made me immediately think it wasn’t his knee. I can’t think of a similar scene that didn’t end up being a major issue. Praying it’s not, but based on his instant physical recoil after the arm came through, the chances it isn’t a lengthy absence are slim. Really unfortunate situation. 

Bautista’s movements after the injury look exactly like Ramon Ortiz in 2013 with the jays. Good news - Ortiz didn’t tear the UCL. Bad news - he never pitched in MLB again. 

Bautista is way younger tho so who knows?

Best case scenario, it’s a strain. Let him freshen up on the IL and be back for playoffs. He might be throwing 105 with all that rest. 😂

44 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

I am no doctor and I know we’ll find out soon enough, but I mentioned how he was wiggling his fingers after the pitch. If you watch the video you can clearly see it. One possibility:

Subluxation or compression of this nerve may lead to numbness and tingling in the small finger and outer half of the ring finger. This may occur at night when one sleeps on their arm with the elbow flexed or may occur with activities such as pitching. Subluxation is when the nerve slips part way out of its grove. This can cause a popping sensation on the inner part of the elbow. Subluxation is common and most times does not cause a problem.

He did reach up with his right hand and remove his cap when walking off the mound, so that's encouraging. 😉

45 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

What are they supposed to do? Cry about it? I mean, every team has injuries. It is exactly next man up, or roll over and show your belly and die. 

Nailed it.  Totally agree with this.

Look, even with the Rays down several quality pitchers and without their shortstop, they continue to win consistently.  They find a way.  We need to do the same.

And, before anyone says anything about how many games Bautista impacts and how we don't have anyone else nearly as good, think about the Rays being down Rasmussen, Springs AND McClanahan....yet they've been keeping up with us since their slump.   

With a really good team, this should not be the end of the world..  Disappointing?  Hell yeah, but we need to find a way....next man up.  All of the sudden, the move to get Wells ready for shorter bullpen outings looks pretty genius to me.  Actually, I thought it was smart when they initially made that move, and said it at the time in the Wells thread.   

How the O's respond to this - if Bautista is out for any period of time - will define them.  And I expect they will fight hard.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, too 🙂

4 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I understand people downplaying this alittle. That’s a common human defense mechanism. But this is really really bad news. 

I understand people overestimating the impact now to prepare for the worst. That’s a common human defense mechanism. But we really don’t know anything at this point.