Jorge Lopez is Back

Orioles Jim

a lot of overthinking this, the guy likely will barely pitch this season, probably sent to the pitching lab in offseason where Elias' crew probably thinks they can fix him and he be an effective reliever next year. at least i think he has another year of ARB

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

I think they changed that rule a few years ago and now the waiver order is just based on record and it doesn't matter what league a team is in. 

Correct it just goes straight record so Braves didn’t get a chance, not sure on Dodgers because we are tied with them so not sure who got first crack at him.  

Also, could be a good chemistry guy that they want (even if he can’t pitch) to be in the bullpen as a leader of sorts during the postseason?

I don’t know, I think it’s clear they place some level of importance on team chemistry and maybe they see a fit here as a guy they like to be hanging around the pen in October?

17 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Also, could be a good chemistry guy that they want (even if he can’t pitch) to be in the bullpen as a leader of sorts during the postseason?

I don’t know, I think it’s clear they place some level of importance on team chemistry and maybe they see a fit here as a guy they like to be hanging around the pen in October?

But Lopez isn't eligible to be on the post-season roster, so he won't be hanging around past Oct 1st.

1 hour ago, Winter said:

a lot of overthinking this, the guy likely will barely pitch this season, probably sent to the pitching lab in offseason where Elias' crew probably thinks they can fix him and he be an effective reliever next year. at least i think he has another year of ARB

But this could have happened anyway because no one was going to claim him and pay him his arb number.  He likely would have gone unclaimed and we could have signed in the offseason for a MiL deal.

So, there is something more to it than that.

5 minutes ago, dedwretched said:

Jorge was on the 15 day restricted list earlier this year with "mental health" issues. No word on what they were, but I wish the best for him! I know the struggle.

Many posters here understand the struggle.  Just read the game threads. 😆

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dale said:

I think they changed that rule a few years ago and now the waiver order is just based on record and it doesn't matter what league a team is in. 

When a player is on waivers, other teams can submit a claim. If more than one team does, those in the same league as that player's team get first priority, starting with the club with the worst record on the day of the claim. Then, the priority moves to the other league, starting with the worst record. For example, if a National League team puts a player on waivers, the NL team with the worst record gets the first shot at him, and the last-place American League club would be right behind the top NL club.

https://www.mlb.com/news/guide-to-baseball-s-waiver-trade-system-c140073380

This is the article I saw when I made my post. I did just notice it was from 2017 however, so does anyone know for sure if it's been changed since then?

Edited by hutchead

14 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

Yeah, I don't believe this has anything to do with team "chemistry."