Wednesday, September 13: O's face former farmhand Rom on the eve of the Showdown with Tampa

SteveA

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

That is why spending money for FA's is better than trades. Trading the wrong players can kill a franchise.

Man, exactly right! Trading Rom is going to kill this whole thing. How can they survive it? There's no way. I just think back to all the posts I saw here begging them to bring Rom up but they never did. Unforgivable 🙄

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We need to do something with him. He needs to step up. We don’t need him to be some light hitting on base guy. He needs to be more than that.

I feel good with Gunnar up there. I just don’t feel that way about Adley, not this year. It’s not that he won’t have a good at bat but I just don’t trust him to come up big in big moments. 

They need to get him out of the lead off spot.

Facing 4 straight RHP. Cedric still has a .330 OBP vs RHP. 

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Said this all year.

Only true elite athlete on this team imo is GH.

Some might say that Jorge Mateo is a true athlete... He just doesn't have the hand eye coordinated specific skill to be a consistent/great hitter.

Baseball is a skill driven sport. Even Deion Sanders, who was an elite athlete in 2 sports, did not make the MLB Hall of Fame and he was a backup/platoon player when he played Major League Baseball.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

DL Hall is an elite athlHamete, as is Mateo.

Maybe Hall.  He is a guy I could see playing and excelling at sports since he was a kid.

Mateo?  I mean he is fast but I don't get elite from him in the way he could play a lot of sports and excel.

GH is elite.  The Chad in High school who was all state at everything and got all the Stacy's.

Adley is not. 

Manny was.  You can just sense it.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Maybe Hall.  He is a guy I could see playing and excelling at sports since he was a kid.

Mateo?  I mean he is fast but I don't get elite from him in the way he could play a lot of sports and excel.

GH is elite.  The Chad in High school who was all state at everything and got all the Stacy's.

Adley is not. 

Manny was.  You can just sense it.

You do know that Adley literally played D1 Football right?

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Facing 4 straight RHP. Cedric still has a .330 OBP vs RHP. 

Yes..Mullins needs to be back at lead off .

Adley can bat 2 or 4 and Gunnar the other one with AS in between them.  I almost want to bat Adley down in the 4th hole just to see if he will look to drive the ball more. His lack of power is really getting old.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They are talking about calling up Kjerstad. He isn’t even on the 40.  If called up, would he be eligible for the postseason. 

No he would not, I don't think. (I'm not sure if the IL rule would give him an exception and allow him to be eligible if Mountcastle is on IL). Plus, I think they would have to DFA someone and try to clear that player through waivers when Mountcastle returns (if he goes on IL). So I'm not necessarily seeing how they bring Kjerstad up unless they're willing to part with another player in 2 weeks or so.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yes..Mullins needs to be back at lead off .

Adley can bat 2 or 4 and Gunnar the other one with AS in between them.  I almost want to bat Adley down in the 4th hole just to see if he will look to drive the ball more. His lack of power is really getting old.

I moved the conversation to the Rays series on the main page.  I bet it’s a topic all day tomorrow. 

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

No he would not, I don't think. (I'm not sure if the IL rule would give him an exception and allow him to be eligible if Mountcastle is on IL). Plus, I think they would have to DFA someone and try to clear that player through waivers when Mountcastle returns (if he goes on IL). So I'm not necessarily seeing how they bring Kjerstad up unless they're willing to part with another player in 2 weeks or so.

The other thing about it is that Kjerstand is left handed and Mountcastle is right handed. They already have O'hearn as a left handed bat to cover 1st base. And Santander is their switch hitter who can play some first base vs left handed pitching in a pinch.