This team is visibly gassed

Sanfran327

7 minutes ago, Winning_Season said:

A win is a win, and a Tampa loss is a Tampa loss, it doesn't matter when they happen in relationship to each other, both bring the magic number down by one.

I'm all for being strategic about rest, but with a 1.5 game lead, the idea of actively or tacitly throwing a game is ridiculous.

I agree.  But I’d definitely give Means and Flaherty a long leash today even at the expense of maximizing our chances of winning today’s game.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Winning_Season said:

A win is a win, and a Tampa loss is a Tampa loss, it doesn't matter when they happen in relationship to each other, both bring the magic number down by one.

I'm all for being strategic about rest, but with a 1.5 game lead, the idea of actively or tacitly throwing a game is ridiculous.

Logically, this is 100% true. But if we get a win/loss result today and the magic number drops to 4 with 7 to play, that’s a huge deal.  Tampa isn’t going to win out. 

5 minutes ago, Winning_Season said:

I agree with this.  That said, would like to see Flaherty get some bulk innings one of these next two in Cleveland.  Preferably it would be after Means or Gibson gives 6+ and the O’s have a decent lead.  I’d really like Hyde to extend Means to 90-100 pitches.  He’s the one pitcher not gassed right now and he should be built up.

I was a bit worried about how the starters would pitch the first time back on “only” 4 days rest.  They needed to do it in prep for the playoffs but Rodriguez and Kremer have not been as sharp the last two days.

My brother talked with Floyd Rayford not long ago and asked his thoughts about a World Series win. 

“World Series? Whoa, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  September and October is when men step up, or they don’t.  “ 

We need one position player and one pitcher to step up and put this team on their backs. 

3 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

Why can’t we? Talk me through it. I don’t care if we lose 30-3, just gut it out. Rutsch, Gunnar, Mullins, Urias, and O’Hearn need to take a seat for a day.

The forfeit idea is good if that’s really an option. 

I’m also very close to DFAing Lopez and putting Fuji on the IL with a sneeze injury. 

I think it is more "mental fatigue" than physical. It is a pennant race. I think they are just a young team finding their way and getting great experience. However, the pitching is worrisome--but we all knew that would be the issue at the end of the season. No surprises here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ONUOsFan said:

I wouldn’t do that, but if one of our starters struggles in the next two games, I would absolutely throw Flaherty out there and let him finish the game, even if it takes him 200 pitches. 

When  I first read this I thought "nah, you're just being ridiculous" but my next thought was... hmmm 🤔 that may be a stroke of genius

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't plan to have position players pitch 4+ innings.

I don't understand why teams don't take advantage of the ability to forfeit games.  Sure you could only do it once before they'd amend the rules but as far as I know the team could just forfeit, take the 9-0 L and piss everyone else off.  Just don't do it at home.  😉

Earl Weaver would have done it until MLB put a stop to it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is a reason it takes young teams time to learn to win.

The team fading some was inevitable. The question is, can they get it back?

This is spot on - particularly this time of the year. Because, we have a team that is mostly in uncharted territory. Add in a long string of consecutive games against real good competition. A rain date would be nice but..... After last Sunday I couldn't help but think anything would be anti-climactic. Yet they nearly swept Houston.

The Orioles have given us a year we will not soon forget. I for one am still trying to figure out how we are where we are. I want them to win the division, but the world won't end if they don't. However they get to the playoffs, that experience will be a whole new story for this team as well. Justv don't assume this team can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Upvote 1