Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

34 minutes ago, cravens86 said:

Seems we are back to a roadblock. Not sure how to embed tweets but Baltimore Banner reporting that a Senator raised concerns about the lease for the area around Camden and Governor has suspended the vote 

Called it. Anything deal with this and Wes Moore. Makes me questions anything. The administration so far has not had a good read on this deal and GA.

Edited by Oriolesfan1988

So back to a holdingpattern. You think  after this time they would have their ducks in a row but no.What wr have  here is a failure to communicate. 

Gov. Wes Moore pauses his long-promised lease agreement with Orioles after pushback from key lawmaker
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/08/orioles-and-state-reach-tentative-30-year-lease-deal-sources-say-pending-needed-approvals/

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

So back to a holdingpattern. You think  after this time they would have their ducks in a row but no.What wr have  here is a failure to communicate. 

Gov. Wes Moore pauses his long-promised lease agreement with Orioles after pushback from key lawmaker
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/08/orioles-and-state-reach-tentative-30-year-lease-deal-sources-say-pending-needed-approvals/

Or at least keep their mouth shut until a deal is actually final.

Not sure what the provision is but spending  $600 million or more  and Orioles could leave after 10 years doesn't seem a good deal for Maryland taxpayers. 

WBAL:

Senate President Bill Ferguson, D-District 46, objected to several portions of the deal, the source told 11 News. One of those objections was a provision that would allow the Orioles to exit the deal after just ten years.

"There were aspects of the deal that I just didn't think were in the best interests of Maryland taxpayers," Ferguson told 11 News. "I have concerns about locking us into a 99-year lease on public land. These are things that should be worked out in a broader process, not tied to the agreement for the incredible Orioles to play in in the stadium. So, let's focus on that, and then, if we want to have a conversation with the world about what happens around the stadium and even if the Orioles want to do that development, let's not link the two together."

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Not sure what the provision is but spending  $600 million or more  and Orioles could leave after 10 years doesn't seem a good deal for Maryland taxpayers. 

WBAL:

Senate President Bill Ferguson, D-District 46, objected to several portions of the deal, the source told 11 News. One of those objections was a provision that would allow the Orioles to exit the deal after just ten years.

"There were aspects of the deal that I just didn't think were in the best interests of Maryland taxpayers," Ferguson told 11 News. "I have concerns about locking us into a 99-year lease on public land. These are things that should be worked out in a broader process, not tied to the agreement for the incredible Orioles to play in in the stadium. So, let's focus on that, and then, if we want to have a conversation with the world about what happens around the stadium and even if the Orioles want to do that development, let's not link the two together."

Yeah I was troubled by the 10 year out as well. What did the Ravens need to commit to to unlock the $600m?

13 hours ago, Going Underground said:

No way I’m approving the stuff we are giving away in this deal and giving an owner an opt out in 10 years. It makes the future of the team cloudy. Either the Angelos or new owner will use it as leveraging to get more or opt out in a potential effort to move the team. Plus it also has implications in the deal with the Ravens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No way I’m approving the stuff we are giving away in this deal and giving an owner an opt out in 10 years. It makes the future of the team cloudy. Either the Angelos or new owner will use it as leveraging to get more or opt out in a potential effort to move the team. Plus it also has implications in the deal with the Ravens. 

Yes, I was talking to my friend who works for the state. He stated depending on the provision that the state would have to also put this in the Ravens lease. So both teams could have an opt out after 10 years.  Also the administration and the Orioles want this done because they have been promising a deal done by the end of the year.  So if you put in provisions that are not great and things fall apart, the current administration will be long gone and you delivered the lease deal.