Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

One organization has an owner who is an adult. The other is being run by a toddler looking to screw as many people over as possible. 

Are you saying tht JA can use the $600m to develop the additional sites he is getting and not as improvements to OPACY itself?  

24 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

To a degree.... this is called "negotiating." 

I get asked to do all kinds of unspeakable things in my daily job as part of figuring out a deal. I giggle, say no, and remove those things from the list. 

He's just having to do it in plain sight of the taxpayer. Not easy.

But the negotiations started sometime in 2020 when the  original lease expired in 2021. Of course they didn't have the $600 million at that time and also now a new governor  

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But the negotiations started sometime in 2020 when the  original lease expired in 2021. Of course they didn't have the $600 million at that time and also now a new governor  

JA has been quoted by sources as to not negotiating with the last administration because he didn't want to give Hogan the PR of renewing the lease. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

JA has been quoted by sources as to not negotiating with the last administration because he didn't want to give Hogan the PR of renewing the lease. 

But he was term limited ,so it would not have made much of a difference. Maybe if he seemed higher office. Would voters reallyl care about this?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Show me where he was quoted.  What sources are you talking about?

Orioles CEO John Angelos paused lease negotiations until new governor took office, planned 2-year extension, document says – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/08/10/orioles-ceo-john-angelos-paused-lease-negotiations-until-new-governor-took-office-planned-2-year-extension-document-says/

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles CEO John Angelos paused lease negotiations until new governor took office, planned 2-year extension, document says – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/08/10/orioles-ceo-john-angelos-paused-lease-negotiations-until-new-governor-took-office-planned-2-year-extension-document-says/

After the 2022 general election, I made the decision to pause our ongoing discussions with the Maryland Stadium Authority out of deference to your incoming Administration and my belief that you should have input into the finalized vision for Camden Yards,” Angelos told the governor in the Jan. 31 letter. 

It was only for a short time  but still those two months or longer made the negotiations go even longer  

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It would be ridiculous for Camden area development rights to stay with the Angelos family if they sold the team or if the team moved locations.  

I’m also skeptical that this characterization accurately reflects the latest state of the draft agreement.  In addition to being a political poison pill, it wouldn’t provide much upside for the Angelos family since value is likely maximized with common control of baseball ops and the adjacent entertainment/mixed-use district.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

After the 2022 general election, I made the decision to pause our ongoing discussions with the Maryland Stadium Authority out of deference to your incoming Administration and my belief that you should have input into the finalized vision for Camden Yards,” Angelos told the governor in the Jan. 31 letter. 

It was only for a short time  but still those two months or longer made the negotiations go even longer  

Thanks.  Even so, it’s taken all year.  So, it’s not like Angelos was on the verge of a deal with Hogan and then stalled so that Moore could get the credit.  He wasn’t through haggling by a long shot.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

It would be ridiculous for Camden area development rights to stay with the Angelos family if they sold the team or if the team moved locations.  

I’m also skeptical that this characterization accurately reflects the latest state of the draft agreement.  In addition to being a political poison pill, it wouldn’t provide much upside for the Angelos family since value is likely maximized with common control of baseball ops and the adjacent entertainment/mixed-use district.

I didn’t see anything in the MOU that gave the Angelos family any rights to do anything.  It refers throughout to the Orioles, not the Angeloses, who are not personally parties to the MOU.  John Angelos signed it on behalf of Baltimore Orioles LLC.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No im saying that’s what he’s trying to do

It’s messed up that JA is going for some gravy deal and he has done nothing to earn that land, but… I just want to see that land developed for my own personal enjoyment. 50% of my paycheck goes away anyway. At least with this, I’ll be able to enjoy it during the 15-20 games that I attend each year. If it’s not this rich dude, then it will just be another rich dude. 

Lesser of two evils. 

Edited by sportsfan8703