100 wins: it’s a big deal

Frobby

26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's only a big deal because we have 10 fingers and count in decimal. In octal 100 is just 64 wins.

I like binary better.  If you take 100 decimal wins and convert it to binary, you get to add a lot more to the front of the 100.   It is 110100 wins.  But if you go the other way binary 100 is only 4 wins.  That doesn't look as nice.

Edited by harp6
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Last night, in addition to winning the AL East, the O’s won their 100th game.  It was the 6th time in Orioles history, and the first time an Orioles team had done it in 43 years.  

Despite that long drought, very few major league teams have won 100 games six times.  In fact, only 7 other teams have won 100 six times or more, and of those, only 3 teams have won 100 more than six times since 1954, the year the Orioles began playing in Baltimore.  Here’s a list of the seven teams:

1.  New York Yankees, 19 times, including 12 times since 1954.   God I loathe them.

2.  Atlanta Braves, 9 times, 8 times since 1954.

3.  Los Angeles Dodgers, 9 times, 7 times since 1954.  They may add to that total this year: they’re at 98 wins with 3 games to play.   

4.  St. Louis Cardinals, 9 times, but only 5 times since 1954.

5.  Oakland Athletics, 9 times, but only 4 times since 1954

6.  San Francisco Giants, 8 times, but only 4 times since 1954.

7.  Chicago Cubs, 6 times, but only once since 1954.   

By reaching their 6th 100 win season, the O’s surpassed the Detroit Tigers and Houston Astros, each of whom did it 5 times.

In total, only 113 AL or NL teams have ever won 100 games, less than one a season.  Seven franchises have never had a 100 win team: the Milwaukee Brewers, Texas Rangers, Toronto Blue Jays, Colorado Rockies, Miami Marlins, San Diego Padres and Washington Nationals.

So, 100 wins is a heck of an accomplishment for the 2023 Orioles.

Great stuff!!!!
Brooklyn Dodgers won 2 so LA Dodgers only 7.  Philadelphia Athletics won 5, Oakland As 4, Las Vegas As TBD, 

New York Giants 4, SF Giants 4 

Boston Braves 1 , Atlanta Braves 8 lol 

I am a “leave the legacy to the city”  kind of guy lol .. Indianapolis has no claim to Johnny U. 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

2.  Atlanta Braves, 9 times, 8 times since 1954.

The franchise we now call the Atlanta Braves has won 100+ 10 times, but their only World Series win among those wasn't really a World Series win.

They won 100 in 1998, 1993, 2023, 1999, 1898, 1892, 2022, 2003, 2002, and 1997. The only time they won the Series among those years was 1892, and that was really a proto-World Series between the 1st and 2nd half winners of the National League in the only split season prior to the 1981 strike. It was odd to modern eyes, in that the Braves (Beaneaters at the time) won the Series 5-0-1, as it was best-of-nine, including a game one tie due to darkness. None of the games drew more than 7500 fans, and the 13 players on winning side split $1000 in prize money, taking home $76.92 each.

The best record of any modern World Series-winning Braves team was 95-59-1 for the '57 Milwaukee Braves. And the 2021ers won despite being just 88-73 in the regular season.

12 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

This is the best Orioles team of my life time, I think. Maybe '97 was a better team at optimal health, but I'm not sure.

Based on run differential the best O's team of my life was probably '71, but I don't remember a whole lot because they won their 100th when I was 102 days old and was still trying to catch up on the 1800s Orioles history.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What’s interesting to me is that this may be the only 100 win team we see for a while…and I also think this could be the worst team we field for the next 5 or so years.

Well, by Pythag they’re “only” a 93-win team, so yeah, they could drop under 100 even if the talent level is a little better.   At the same time, the AL East may not be this strong every year.  That’s less important with the new balanced schedule though.