Cowser-Norby platoon in left in 2024?

orioles22

Thinking of possible ways to get some of these Norfolk guys in the mix next year. I hope they sign Adley, Gunnar and some others long term, but my guess is the best we can hope for in the outfield is extending one of them - perhaps Mullins in center for the next 3-4 years.

29 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Thinking of possible ways to get some of these Norfolk guys in the mix next year. I hope they sign Adley, Gunnar and some others long term, but my guess is the best we can hope for in the outfield is extending one of them - perhaps Mullins in center for the next 3-4 years.

Do you really want to pay Cedric Mullins FA rates for his age 31+ seasons? I don't, and that's not a knock on him or what he's done. Just the simple reality that it's hard to play good CF defense in your thirties and Cedric probably lacks the bat to be especially valuable in left field.

Hopefully Bradfield Jr. or Fabian is knocking on the door in two years.

We really need to see who is traded before figuring how the prospects fit. The immediate need would be to replace Frazier. Cowser could replace his spot in the lineup but we'd need to move people around to make it work defensively. 

How is Norby's OF defense? He could replace some of Hicks' AB's maybe. 

I'm not sure O'Hearn is here next year so Santander could move to 1B/DH with Mounty. OF could be Hays, Mullins, Kjerstead, and Cowser, no 5th OF. Santander could fill in. They need someone able to play credible CF other than McKenna (no options) or Hicks (np wheels, FA), I don't think there is a ready backup in AAA so probably some offseason pickup or maybe they were serious about Mateo being an option there. We just need someone to spell Mullins a bit.

20 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I'm not sure O'Hearn is here next year so Santander could move to 1B/DH with Mounty. OF could be Hays, Mullins, Kjerstead, and Cowser, no 5th OF. Santander could fill in. They need someone able to play credible CF other than McKenna (no options) or Hicks (np wheels, FA), I don't think there is a ready backup in AAA so probably some offseason pickup or maybe they were serious about Mateo being an option there. We just need someone to spell Mullins a bit.

McKenna doesn't need to be optionable to be the backup CF. There are some scouts that think Cowser could play a credible CF, but I haven't seen it.

If O'Hearn is traded, I would prefer Kjerstad backing up first rather than Santander.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• In a nonsave situation, Mike Baumann was tagged with an unearned run Sunday in 26-pitch ninth inning to seal Seattle's 5-1 win in a three-game sweep of the Angels. https://www.mlb.com/gameday/angels-vs-mariners/2024/06/02/745252/final
    • So would Kjerstad, Norby or Mayo man center?
    • Are we really sure that Vieira would be claimed.  I remember the O's have hung on to guys for dear life and then when they are DFA'ed, no one wants them.
    • Maybe he’s throwing shade at somebody who hijacks every game thread.
    • And hader, with the second biggest contract in reliever history, is 19th in average annual value just in current contracts (Diaz is 17th). There are 4 relief pitchers in the top 50 pitchers in annual salary (and that’s if you go by spotrac calling Kyle Hendricks a reliever, which he hasn’t been). Which tells you how mlb values starters vs relievers. If you have a chance to get even a  mid rotation starter, chances are it’s more valuable than very good high leverage relievers. They pitch a ton more innings that impacts the team more.  Relievers are volatile, and don’t exactly have longer shelf lives despite the lower inning workload.    if you get a pitcher with good enough stuff that can be a starter, you can always fall back on them being relievers if they don’t make it as starters. Taking someone with no starter potential limits their upside. That’s not what I want with an early pick. I’ll take all the sharkey types in later rounds, but if I get Brecht, I want him in the minors trying to be a starter as long as they think he can be one. 
    • All right I'll pull that back, he does only have a decent shot at his best year. the rest of the season has not happened yet, hell tomorrow could be his last game. I dont like sewing together partial seasons either. Last year half season started with July and August being a scorch fest followed by a cold September which featured shoulder problems and an IL stint. he does have one constant though, the defense is turning Elite. Yes bad AB today, but the more I look at him the more I see what his supporters see. I'm starting to come around to him.  
    • Hey everyone! I’m so sorry that I’m late in getting the results accumulated and a winner announced. I haven’t had time to login to the Hangout in probably 10 days or so due to life and work.  I’ll tally up the entries and post the winner this week, hopefully within the next day or two. Thanks for all the interest!
  • Popular Contributors