ALDS Game 3: Keeping hope alive

SteveA

12 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Out of 27 Innings, we got to enjoy 11 competitive innings where it looked like we had a chance. That was a blast!

11 seems very high. We had the lead for not even one out the entire series. So I guess you count the first three innings of game one, and the first inning game two?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Here's the thing though, what do think the Astros/Braves/Dodgers would do to us with this type of pitching? I think the results would be very similar. Those teams are the big dogs and they will absolutely feast on bad pitching. These are also the types of teams that we are going to have to get through if we want a ring.

Starting pitching has to improve no doubt to play with the big boys in October. Grayson has the potential to be a true ace and hoping Means can pitch a full season in 2024. It's imperative that Elias trades for or signs a quality starting pitcher who can anchor the 2024 rotation.

Question there is what budget does Elias have to bolster the payroll because JA can't stop whining about revenues.

Just now, terpoh said:

11 seems very high. We had the lead for not even one out the entire series. So I guess you count the first three innings of game one, and the first inning game two?

I counted the entire first game cause it was close then 2 innings after that when it was never close in game 2 and 3.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Here's the thing though, what do think the Astros/Braves/Dodgers would do to us with this type of pitching? I think the results would be very similar. Those teams are the big dogs and they will absolutely feast on bad pitching. These are also the types of teams that we are going to have to get through if we want a ring.

How do you do that without adding $50 or $60 million to the payroll?

59 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Yep, and because we don't go to the playoffs often, our lives are flying by as the team we care about and love spends about 8 out of every 10 years completely irrelevant and uncompetitive. Then, when they do go to the playoffs, a team that makes it there much more often than us just makes us look like absolute buffoons on the national stage for caring about a team this consistently bad.

Rinse and repeat, all my life. I've never known any different, and I'm an old man (in the sense of being old enough to be the father of some teenagers).

I am a grandfather and saw my first Series in 1966.. i was blessed to see the dynastic Orioles .. when we dominated the others 

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Eovaldi has absolutely pitched a gem tonight. We need vets like that, like Seager/Semien to go along with our young players. Plus they have Schezer returning. IMO you need some good vets for the postseason, can't be all young/inexperienced players.

You need an experienced manager too...

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

I just disagree about “building to win in October” which fans always talk about.  
You build a team to get in the playoffs abd then it is a total crapshoot.  The Orioles of 1969 were the best team arguably of the last century.. built for the Hall of Fame.. the Mets were hot .. we lost

The hot team will always beat the “best “ team particularly in short series 

Texas relievers have not been exposed in this series or the previous one .. but they are worse than ours.  When you score 18 runs in 2 games, not much exposure to relievers. 

They are hot indeed. But I believe our pitching has surely "heated" them up.

IMO you need some good experienced vets to win in October. They have several, we have none. IMO that matters.

Conversely on the NL side the Phillies were/are "hot", but the Braves were able to steady the ship with there championship pedigree yesterday and may/probably will win that series against the "hot" team. Experience matters in the biggest games.

Eovaldi pitching a gem actually makes me feel better. So it wasn't Kremer who lost the game. Even though pitching with a big lead is easier than pitching with a small lead. SP gave the Orioles a chance in almost every game in the second half, but failed them in the postseason (facing a hot team).

Just now, Uli2001 said:

You need an experienced manager too...

I don't disagree with that necessarily. But other than allowing Brian Baker to see the field of a postseason game, I am not sure what Hyde could have done differently. For those arguing about starting Kremer, he would have had to pitch him tomorrow anyway. I don't know how much Kremer was or wasn't "distracted" tonight. I do know that he has been wildly inconsistent and up and down all year. IMO Kremer is not a postseason starter, I just don't think you can trust him like that.