What's the most memorable HR you have ever seen in person?

TCAlumni9700

I think it was 1989 in the LF bleachers. Cal hit a shot into LC gap and Brad Komminsk leaps and catches it but his momentum takes him over the wall and he drops it. The O's bullpen walked over to make sure he didn't pick it up and try to fool the ump.

I was at that game too. Can't believe that one slipped my mind. Guess I'm getting geezerly.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the yard when Manny hit his 500th a couple years ago. So I wish the biggest HR I ever saw in person was an O's memory, but it just so happen it was Manny's. Still pretty cool to witness history. And we had great seats. 3 rows off 1st base. Got some great pics!

The first one that comes to mind for me is a Will Clark grand slam against the Red Sox back in, I believe, 2000. He hit it during a make up game after a rain out. Cleared the right field scoreboard and landed on the flag court. My friend and my family and I were sitting down next to the ball girl on the right field side because the person that owned the seats didn't show up for the make up game. It was an amazing experience!

I was at the yard when Manny hit his 500th a couple years ago. So I wish the biggest HR I ever saw in person was an O's memory, but it just so happen it was Manny's. Still pretty cool to witness history. And we had great seats. 3 rows off 1st base. Got some great pics!

I remember Manny's quote after that game: "It was great to do it in front of our fans." :angryfire:

My most memorable was easy: Cal's HR in the 4th inning of the 2131 game.

May 17, 1996 Orioles v Mariners - Orioles down 13-10 heading into the bottom of the ninth. Bases load, 2 out and Chris Hoiles smacks a game winning grand slam off of Norm Charlton. I believe that was the game of one of Sweet Lou's famous ejections when he threw 2nd base into center field. That was an awesome game!

Easily number 1 for me as well.

It's one of two reasons why Chris Hoiles is my favorite retired Oriole.

Of the top of my head it has to be Bonds hitting 713 at Citizen's Bank Park. He got booed the entire game, all through warm ups and when he got into the batter's box. As soon as the ball left his bat the entire place popped and cheered him. Next at-bat he got booed again. The atmosphere was electric for that brief period.

Recently, two seasons back right after Luke Scott made his video games statement responding to fan's criticism he hit a bomb into right field. It was a hell of a shot.

I didn't see this one in person, but I still remember it.

We were playing the Tigers in old Tiger Stadium. Late innings. Detroit brought in some young fireballer reliever. Throwing 100, 101. Eric Davis swung thru (and late) to go down two strikes. Next pitch he timed and hit probably the hardest ball I've ever seen. Line drive ROPE to the second deck in left. And you remember, Tiger Stadium was huge. Took like 1 1/2 seconds to get out.

I don't get out to a ton of games, but it would have to be the following three:

Mike Piazza's game winning home run off Trevor Hoffman

Wieters' first home run

Harold Baines' solo shot as the Orioles' only hit in a 1-0 win (Mussina pitched a gem)

I was there when Brooks hit his last home run, a 3 run shot in the 10th to beat the Indians.

I was there for Eddies 500th, and I was there when Cal homered in the game he tied

Gehrig's record, and the next night I was there when he homered in the record breaking game.

I'm sure there are more, but those stick out.

1. My personal favorite was seeing Cal take one out to right-center in game 2129...only one I ever saw him hit in person.

2. I went to a game in the last season at Memorial Stadium as a kid and saw Kirk Gibson (one of my favorite non-Orioles) hit a ball that I'm not sure has landed yet.

3. In April '95 I saw Andy Van Slyke hit a towering home run to right...from our vantage point in the Left field club section, my friend and I thought it might have hit the warehouse. Turns out it bounced off the top of one of the brick pillars behind the flag court. I remember thinking that Van Slyke was going to have a big year for the O's after that...heh, not so much.

I didn't see this one in person, but I still remember it.

We were playing the Tigers in old Tiger Stadium. Late innings. Detroit brought in some young fireballer reliever. Throwing 100, 101. Eric Davis swung thru (and late) to go down two strikes. Next pitch he timed and hit probably the hardest ball I've ever seen. Line drive ROPE to the second deck in left. And you remember, Tiger Stadium was huge. Took like 1 1/2 seconds to get out.

Jorge Julio called to say that Matt Anderson's fastball was straighter than his.;)

Archived