What's the most memorable HR you have ever seen in person?

TCAlumni9700

I can't recall exact dates or a few of the names on these, but other memories are vivid.

First was in July of 1985 at Memorial Stadium. O's were playing the CWS and were behind by 3 in the bottom of the 9th. Chicago brings in their closer and he's mowing down the final O's batters. First to go down was a pinch hitter for Rick Dempsey, can't recall who it was, in the #9 slot. Then he gets Alan Wiggins on a grounder. Up next is Lee Lacy, but Chicago's closer suffers an injury and can no longer continue. The game stops while the White Sox hurriedly warm up another reliever to get the last out. Most of what remained of the crowd at that point left. But a strange feeling came over me and I convinced the others with me (they were family visiting from Califirornia) to stay. Time to play ball. Lee Lacy gets a base hit. Then Cal follows with a walk......runners on 1st and 2nd, two out. Eddie comes up and rips a single to right field......Lacy scores, Cal to 2nd, Eddie on first, O's down by two with Fred Lynn coming up. Wouldn't you know, Lynn hits one out! O's win. The couple thousand who stayed went ballistic, knowing they'd seen a finish they may never forget.

The second was in the summer of the 1989 Why Not? season. The AL East leading O's faced the AL West leading California Angels (who eventually finished 3rd). It was a back-and-forth slugfest, with California leading most of the game, but the O's kept it close and gave themselves a chance down by two in the bottom of the 9th. The events leading up to the HR are a little fuzzier on this one, but I remember Mickey Tettleton getting a BB and advancing to 3rd on two wild pitches. With two runners on (I think Milligan was the other) Larry Sheets hits a single to RF scoring Tettleton and Milligan. Tie game. With Brady Anderson pinch-running for Sheets, Mike Devereaux comes up and lines a shot down the left field line. From my seat in the Terrace Level on the 3rd base side the ball appears to be just foul, but I look at the 3rd base ump and he signals home run! Replays later show the ball just barely grazed the "foul pole", thus making it a HR. Unlike my first game, Memorial Stadium was packed on this night. But just like the first game, the place goes ballistic.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2 most memorable home runs I saw live happened in the same game. One for the good guys, one the other way.

10/9/97 - ALCS Game 2 - Cal goes deep for the first time (only time) in his post season career. The place was going bananas. The Orioles take a 2 run lead and look to go up 2-0 in the series.

About an hour later, Armando hangs a splitter at the belt for Marquis Grissom. 2 outs, 2 strikes and a guy that throws about 100 mph pitching to the number 9 hitter and he hangs a splitter. Grissom goes deep to center to give Cleveland the lead. I still curse under my breath when I hear either name.

MASN Needs to get the tape of my boy Hoiles' ultimate grand slam in 96.

Luke's bomb in 08 against the Tigers was sweet.

Javy Lopez taking Pedro deep in his first pitch seen as an O was cool. Everyone was chanting "Pedro sucks!" Strangely, this was before all that "Red Sox Nation" garbage. There were probably 2 Sox fans per section.

My favorite was Nick's first in 06. It was freezing and at the time, the least attended game in OPaCY history.

He walked the first three AB's and then one routine fly to left, then Crawford made a diving catch on a sinking liner (happened right in front of me) in his next AB. With the game out of hand, Kakes pounded Dan Micelli's 7th pitch into the seats in right center. The ball stayed in the air what felt like forever. :eektf:

Those heavy fleece blankets kept people warm though! also Gibby hit one at nearly the same spot...a section over from where Me and the wife were freezing.

Guest baltimore34

I have never seen one in person, but the best one i have ever seen on tv was the Chris Hoiles grand slam to beat the Yankees.

Guest rochester

Jim Fuller. Rochester Red Wings. early 70's. Silver Stadium. Blasted one over the scoreboard in center fiedl. IIRC they estimated it at 500'+

The first one that popped into my head was John Lowenstein's pinch-hit walk-off 3-run blast into the left field corner (where I was sitting!) at Memorial Stadium, in Game One of the '79 ALCS. The place went NUTS! Orioles Magic at its finest...

Cal's HR at 2131 was awesome, also... That whole night was amazing.

The most memorable one was the fifth game of the the 1983 World Series when Eddie hit his second home run of the night and I swear it hit his name on the scoreboard. After that, you could hear a pin drop in the Vet.

The most unique home run I ever saw was on 8/26/73 when Paul Blair hit an Inside-The-Park Grand Slam against the Royals.

Man the most exciting homerun that I saw at the Yard would be i want to say 3 years ago against the yankees.. it was in the later innings and the yanks brought in the Lefty Mike Stanton to force BRob to hit righthanded.. he crushes it to left and it landed 1 row in front of my friends and I and it won the game.. It was awesome..

The most histotiv homerun i saw was Eddie's 500th which was awesome to be a part of it..

Thats #1 for me as well. I still remember my seats. Section 344, Row BB, seast 5 and 6, lol. That game last 4 hours 20 min and almost broke the record for longest nine inning game. Most of the crowd had left by the 9th after a very very young A Rod hit a grand slam of his own in the 8th inning for Seattle. The greatest thing about that homer for me is that I called it. With one runner on and one out, I told my friend that Chris Hoiles would come up and hit a grand slam with the bases loaded, 2 outs and on a 3-2 pitch. When the ball landed in the first row of the left field seats, I lost it. Almost threw my friend off the top of the upper deck out of excitement. A usher had to come over and calm me down.

Another memorable one for me was when an O's game got canceled because the "lights wouldn't work", or as urban legends say that the O's purposely caused the lights to fail because Cal was sitting down at the jailhouse after beating up Kevin Costner(or a pool boy) for sleeping with his wife, lol. They made up the game the next day and let us sit anywhere in the park. So we got great box seats and when Reboulet came up to bat against Randy Johnson, my friend called the home run. I've never been so stunned in my life.

You know, I called it too. My buddy and I were actually in the flag court standing room only area. One guy went nuts and tried to jump up on the wall and a cop grabbed him by the belt and yanked him down violently. He was wasted and didn't feel a thing. I forgot that it was 4 1/2 hours. I wasn't feeling pain,either!

Archived