What's the most memorable HR you have ever seen in person?

TCAlumni9700

Here is a few:

1) Lee May while playing for Reds in WS, beet the Birds but I became a fan of his from then on. Remember the "Leee Mayy" Cheer of should I say scream? I was the one who help start that.

2) Decinces GS against Tigers, starting Orioles Majic in 1979, Off "Grand Slam" Tobik, have a ball signed by him with that. The Sunday after the game, gotten by Kirk Gibson, (he signed the ball as well) for a hot dog for Kirk and Dave Rozema, they paid. Both were hung over I think.

3) Mark Belanger off of Guidry, sliced to RF, just missed our seets. A friend at the game who didnt drink had always said he would drink a beer if Blade hit one, we were more worried about the beer then the ball.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.) I was in the center field bleachers when Tino Martinez hit his two-run home run off Kim in Game 4 of the 2001 World Series. I've never heard any sporting venue get as loud as Yankee Stadium got at that moment.

2.) You could hear a pin drop in Camden Yards when Marquis Grissom hit his three-run homer off Armando Benitez in Game 2 of the 1997 ALCS.

It's funny what you remember. Don't recall when it happened but I still remember thinking "that ball is going to hurt a fan" when Miggy laced a low line drive homer. It didn't seem to have any arc on it, just went frozen rope into left center. I don't recall ever seeing one of those like that.

Manny's 500th was pretty cool, although in a sigh about it sort of way.

But that Miggy ball came off his bat like it was shot out of a cannon.

May 17, 1996 Orioles v Mariners - Orioles down 13-10 heading into the bottom of the ninth. Bases load, 2 out and Chris Hoiles smacks a game winning grand slam off of Norm Charlton. I believe that was the game of one of Sweet Lou's famous ejections when he threw 2nd base into center field. That was an awesome game!

I was looking through this thread to see if anyone else remembered this one, I was there too, I was just a little kid but me and my dad stayed around until the end and moved right behind home plate, this game was amazing. This is how I always remembered Norm Charlton, even when we got him a couple years later.

I saw Brooks Robinson hit his last homerun.

It was the bottom of the tenth, O's were tied with Cleveland, my Dad and I both decided we should hang around to let the traffic clear out of Memorial Stadium. Two guys get on, Brooks comes in as a pinch hitter and bop, he hits a blast into left field for the 10-7 win.

I've heard Brooks on several interviews. He says people always tell him they were there to see that, but I actually was.

I have seen quite a few in my time. Eddie's 500th probably was the biggest "event" persay, but I think the most excited I ever got was Game 1 of the 96 ALDS against Cleveland:

I was working on the grounds crew at the time, and was stationed in the bullpen with one of my co-workers. Bottom of the 6th, we're up 4-3, when Bobby Bo CRUSHES a Paul Shuey fastball over the out of town scoreboard in right for a grand slam. I tell you, when he hit that thing, from the view I had, it looked like it was going to hit the warehouse. He hit it so high. You knew it was gone instantly.

Next thing I know, Arhur Rhodes is hugging me and the bullpen simply erupted. Elrod and Sammy Snider were jumping up and down, Benitez was yelling something crazy in Spanish, it was just an awesome sight to see 48,000+ on their feet in Baltimore cheering this team on. I miss that. We need to get it back.

So give me some stories y'all. :D

I was sitting about five rows behind the Orioles dugout when Hoiles hit a grand slam off Norm Charlton to beat Seattle. It was a 3-2 count, with two outs in the bottom of the ninth and the Orioles were down 13-10. It had been back and forth all game (ARod with a grand slam too). Camden Yards was off the friggin hook when that ball left the Yard.

Another one I'll never forget came in the first inning of game one of the 1979 World Series.

Doug DeCinces rocked a two-run shot to make it 5-0 Orioles with still only one out. Absolutely incredible. (Of course, the score of the game wound up 5-4 & we all know what happened the rest of the series)

I was at that game as well. Colder then a well diggers arse. The day after the only World Series snow out!

My personal favorite was the Mother's Day double header May 8th 1966 against the Indians when Frank Robinson hit it out of Memorial Stadium. I still have my general admission ticket stub!

Two that I saw years ago stick out in my mind:

1954 - Don't remember who hit it...maybe Mickey Mantle....but it was over the head of Chuck Deiring (sic) on one hop into the hedge in centerfield at Memorial Stadium. This was before they put the CF fence up.

Mid-60's - Harmon Killebrew hit one that cleared the CF fence and disappeared over the hedge....and maybe the fence behind it.

Most historically significant was Manny's 500th. I was telling all the Boston fans to sit down and shut up, Bradford doesn't give up homers to righties.....maybe I jynxed him?

My favorites:

1- Cal 2131, for sure

2- Hoiles' walk-off Grand Slam against Seattle, 3-2, 2 outs, bottom 9, bases loaded, down 3 ('96 or '95 I think)

3- I can't remember any others that really stand out.

I can still remember hearing the "Jon Miller" replay of the Hoiles blast after the game....Miller's call still gives me a high !

I saw Frank Robinson hit #499 in game 1 of a double-header against the Tigers. In game 2, the O's were getting beat pretty bad, he came up in the 7th inning and walked, I think - it was late, and we had to go to school the next day, so we left. O's rallied and he hit #500 in the 9th off of Fred Scherman.

It was Sept 13, 1971. I stayed for the second game and saw Frank hit #500. Actually, I was the 21 year old kid who "caught the ball on the fly" and then returned it to him in the lockeroom. Very cool.

Archived