Just Baseball Top 100

Frobby

Just Baseball is a site that covers the minors pretty closely and produces podcasts.  They came out with their top 100 about 3 weeks ago, but I just saw it today.   They are high on a lot of Orioles.  I’ve posted little snippets from the write-ups below, but the full write-ups are very encouraging and worth a read.

1. Holliday: “How much power he taps into will be a determinant in just how great of a player Holliday can become.”

12. Mayo: “There’s big-time power to dream on with Mayo along with the approach and bat-to-ball skills that should allow him to get on base at a strong clip.”

20. Basallo: “He moves well to continue to get looks at catcher, but his blocking and receiving has a ways to go.”

31. Kjerstad: “Kjerstad is a high probability big league regular with the potential to be a middle-of-the-order threat.”

36. Cowser: “The uptick in power and comfort in center field pushes Cowser’s ceiling higher, but Orioles fans should feel really confident in the fact that they have at least an above average regular who is capable of playing all three outfield spots.”

43. Ortiz: “a high probability regular with enough value on both sides of the ball to be an above average big league shortstop if the bat translates. It seems like some improvements to his approach could be the final piece to making that happen.”

76. Norby: “Norby brings above average speed to the table and excellent footwork/actions at second base. He has good hands and an average arm. He should be an above average defender at the position.”

https://www.justbaseball.com/prospects/mlb-top-100-prospects-2023/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

They seem more optimistic on Cowser overall and on Norby’s defense than I expected.   I doubt @Tony-OHagrees with the Norby assessment.   

After reading the write ups I don’t want to trade any of them.  Lol

Lets remember.  Basallo is 19.   Not surprising there is some refinement needed defensively.

Edited by RZNJ

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They seem more optimistic on Cowser overall and on Norby’s defense than I expected.   I doubt @Tony-OHagrees with the Norby assessment.   

After reading the write ups I don’t want to trade any of them.  Lol

Lets remember.  Basallo is 19.   Not surprising there is some refinement needed defensively.

Yeah, I excerpted that quote about Norby’s defense because it doesn’t seem to conform to the opinions we usually hear from Tony and others.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are others ranking him higher, or lower?  

BA had Salas at #6 mid season.  Basallo #42.   Basallo finished really good though.   I suspect Basallo might be close to #20 on the pre-season list.  MLB has Salas #5 and Basallo #46.   Age and defense.  Funny to use age as a pro for any prospect compared to Basallo.

Some interesting tidbits on Salas.  10 PB in 22 games and 22% CS at low A.  Good offensive numbers in a hitters league.  Didn’t do much offensively in 9 games in A+ and 9 games in AA.  Of course, he doesn’t even turn 18 until next June.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

BA had Salas at #6 mid season.  Basallo #42.   Basallo finished really good though.   I suspect Basallo might be close to #20 on the pre-season list.  MLB has Salas #5 and Basallo #46.   Age and defense.  Funny to use age as a pro for any prospect compared to Basallo.

Yeah, not too many guys comp as well with Basallo's age.  My main point was that Basallo would close the ratings gap pretty significantly.  

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Some interesting tidbits on Salas.  10 PB in 22 games and 22% CS at low A.  Good offensive numbers in a hitters league.  Didn’t do much offensively in 9 games in A+ and 9 games in AA.  Of course, he doesn’t even turn 18 until next June.

That was part of my reasoning too.  Salas in a hitters league vs. Basallo's 1st half.  Salas really struggled with the quick shuffle up the chain too.  Basallo kept producing.  Both are top-shelf talent.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just Baseball is a site that covers the minors pretty closely and produces podcasts.  They came out with their top 100 about 3 weeks ago, but I just saw it today.   They are high on a lot of Orioles.  I’ve posted little snippets from the write-ups below, but the full write-ups are very encouraging and worth a read.

1. Holliday: “How much power he taps into will be a determinant in just how great of a player Holliday can become.”

12. Mayo: “There’s big-time power to dream on with Mayo along with the approach and bat-to-ball skills that should allow him to get on base at a strong clip.”

20. Basallo: “He moves well to continue to get looks at catcher, but his blocking and receiving has a ways to go.”

31. Kjerstad: “Kjerstad is a high probability big league regular with the potential to be a middle-of-the-order threat.”

36. Cowser: “The uptick in power and comfort in center field pushes Cowser’s ceiling higher, but Orioles fans should feel really confident in the fact that they have at least an above average regular who is capable of playing all three outfield spots.”

43. Ortiz: “a high probability regular with enough value on both sides of the ball to be an above average big league shortstop if the bat translates. It seems like some improvements to his approach could be the final piece to making that happen.”

76. Norby: “Norby brings above average speed to the table and excellent footwork/actions at second base. He has good hands and an average arm. He should be an above average defender at the position.”

https://www.justbaseball.com/prospects/mlb-top-100-prospects-2023/

After reading the writeups  it seem to me that Cowser and Ortiz are ready for the majors.  Cowser appears to be ready to take over the 4th  OFer spot including backup up Mullins according the writeup.

The others have things to work on and should start the year in the minors except Norby.

The writeup says Norby has above average speed and an average arm but they rate his speed 50 which is average.

Norby still seem behind the other infielders in defense and probably needs to be traded for pitching.   He probably has a good major league career ahead of him but not with the O's.  Although he is young keeping him in the minors behind these other prospects seems counter productive for him and the O's organization if they can get good pitching in return.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

After reading the writeups  it seem to me that Cowser and Ortiz are ready for the majors. 

Sure, if you believe this particular writer. But honestly, both players have more than 500 PA in AAA Abe and OPS around .900 there.  They’re as ready as they’re going to be.  It’s just a matter of whether there’s room for them. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, if you believe this particular writer. But honestly, both players have more than 500 PA in AAA Abe and OPS around .900 there.  They’re as ready as they’re going to be.  It’s just a matter of whether there’s room for them. 

There is room for both to start  the season.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is room for both to start  the season.

Agreed.  And if not then make room by freeing up the roster spots of Mateo, Urias and McKenna.  Not to mention the Hicks and Frazier spots that are already open now. 

Edited by forphase1