Bowden: Burnes potential suitors including Os

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s make a deal: The Orioles certainly have a deep enough farm system to make a trade of this magnitude without having to deal their very best prospects. A package consisting of corner infielder Coby Mayo, left-hander DL Hall, right-hander Chayce McDermottand outfielder Dylan Beavers would probably be close to what it would take to land Burnes. A steep price for a one-year rental, but probably worth it for a strong shot to win it all.

Just to be clear - Mayo, Hall, McDermott and Beavers is Bowden's suggestion?  Athletic is now behind a paywall for me.

Not interested at that price regardless.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s make a deal: The Orioles certainly have a deep enough farm system to make a trade of this magnitude without having to deal their very best prospects. A package consisting of corner infielder Coby Mayo, left-hander DL Hall, right-hander Chayce McDermottand outfielder Dylan Beavers would probably be close to what it would take to land Burnes. A steep price for a one-year rental, but probably worth it for a strong shot to win it all.

The Orioles need pitching...so they should trade one of their only two young pitching talents? Yeah, that makes perfect. Jim Bowden really doing his due diligence as always (hard eye roll). 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Orioles need pitching...so they should trade one of their only two young pitching talents? Yeah, that makes perfect. Jim Bowden really doing his due diligence as always (hard eye roll). 

It is reality that oftentimes teams want....gasp...pitching.

It's one of the issues I have with the hitters first, second and third approach Elias has been taking.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's one of the issues I have with the hitters first, second and third approach Elias has been taking.

If we are just talking about the draft then yes but overall no.  He got Bradish, Peek, Brnovich, McDermott, Povich, Johnson, and Irvin back in trades.   His trades have been heavily tilted towards acquiring pitching, most of it young.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If we are just talking about the draft then yes but overall no.  He got Bradish, Peek, Brnovich, McDermott, Povich, Johnson, and Irvin back in trades.   His trades have been heavily tilted towards acquiring pitching, most of it young.  

Yes, draft and international pool.

Edited by Can_of_corn

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Just Mayo would be way too much.  I would consider a package centered around Ortiz.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, draft and international pool.

Ok.  I think they’re on the Astros model for Latin American pitching.   I don’t believe Framber Valdez, Luis Valdez, or Christian Javier were signed at 16/17 or got big bonuses.   I think they have a strategy on pitching down there that doesn’t involve 1M or even 500k+ bonuses to pitchers but I could be wrong.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  I think they’re on the Astros model for Latin American pitching.   I don’t believe Framber Valdez, Luis Valdez, or Christian Javier were signed at 16/17 or got big bonuses.   I think they have a strategy on pitching down there that doesn’t involve 1M or even 500k+ bonuses to pitchers but I could be wrong.   

Hopefully.  Not sure the O's have the people down there to replicate that type of success.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

GEEZ!  Let's just throw in Jackson Holliday and Sammy Basallo as sweeteners while we're at it!!!!

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully.  Not sure the O's have the people down there to replicate that type of success.

Maybe the whole industry is weary of projecting 16 year old pitchers.  Kind of interesting that only two pitchers are listed on mlb among the top 50 international prospects.

I don’t think either one of us knows anything about our scouting down there besides the results we see.  The program started in 2020 and some say not fully up to speed until 2022.  We’ll see.

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The root reality is that teams want pitching because pitching gets hurt.  TINSTAAPP is a thing.  TINSTAAHP or a cleverer equivalent isn't.