Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

32 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Just an FYI one of the WS board insiders seems to think the Yankees are making an aggressive push. @Chicago White Sox can probably best speak to their credibility as an insider.

All it took was Jim Duquette to drop a Cease to the Yankees trade proposal on the radio today and viola. He even said it would cost Dominguez. One can hope.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

All it took was Jim Duquette to drop a Cease to the Yankees trade proposal on the radio today and viola. He even said it would cost Dominguez. One can hope.

They’re speculating it wouldn’t include Dominguez. Talking about Pereira, Hampton, Lalane, and Arias.

23 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I will say, it seems like there’s a hell of a lot of leaking from the WS. There’s what, 5+ insiders on your board that have dropped real scoops over time? And Morosi seems like he might as well just be reading press releases directly from Getz sometimes. I don’t know if it’s beneficial or not for the WS but it couldn’t be more different than what we’ve seen for the past five years.

The board believes there are five insiders, I’d say there are really just two.  This guy is one of those two.

4 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

They’re speculating it wouldn’t include Dominguez. Talking about Pereira, Hampton, Lalane, and Arias.

Pereira, Hampton, and Arias is more value/ceiling/fit than Cowser, Ortiz, and Povich. Arias was just the #1 ranked int’l player last year.

I really wouldn’t like the deal that we’d have to do to beat that. That would be something like Mayo, Cowser, and Povich/Hall. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pereira, Hampton, and Arias is more value/ceiling/fit than Cowser, Ortiz, and Povich. Arias was just the #1 ranked int’l player last year.

I really wouldn’t like the deal that we’d have to do to beat that. That would be something like Mayo, Cowser, and Povich/Hall. 

Welcome to New York Mr Cease.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Don’t think I agree with this at all. Arias has upside, sure, but he’s a 19 year old in rookie ball.  Probably a high risk profile. Their board is indicating the Yankees have soured on Pereia and he has a limited hit tool. Hampton may be a better pitching prospect than we’re able to offer but he hasn’t pitched more than 110 innings in professional ball, quickly making it to AA in their system.

I don’t see how two top 30 prospects would be needed to beat that.

So the Yankees would be trading guys that are borderline top 100 prospects and lottery tickets?  lol.  First of all, us not beating that would be incredibly annoying although we would need to see what else we do before providing final judgment.

Secondly, that is way off what WS fans think he is worth, which is of course not surprising.

I still maintain the Yanks don’t trade Dominguez but even if they do, his prospect luster has faded and he is overrated overall. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So the Yankees would be trading guys that are borderline top 100 prospects and lottery tickets?  lol.  First of all, us not beating that would be incredibly annoying although we would need to see what else we do before providing final judgment.

Secondly, that is way off what WS fans think he is worth, which is of course not surprising.

I still maintain the Yanks don’t trade Dominguez but even if they do, his prospect luster has faded and he is overrated overall. 

It would make me think Cowser/Kjerstad have never been in play, we’re leading with Ortiz/Norby, and we’re refusing to include Povich/McDermott. 

8 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

It would make me think Cowser/Kjerstad have never been in play, we’re leading with Ortiz/Norby, and we’re refusing to include Povich/McDermott. 

Well I’m not sure it says we aren’t including those guys but it does say Cowser and Kjerstad aren’t on the board imo.

It is odd to think about it though. The Os went after Cease in July. They are going after him now.  For several months, he has been a target for them.  Clearly they value him and they like him.  Clearly they believe he is someone that upgrades our staff and you figure they believe they can “fix him” or else they wouldn’t be going after him. So, why are they not paying up to get him?

Either there interest in him has been completely overblown or they have other things in the works. 

Elias can’t be naive enough to think he has all the in house options he needs nor can he be naive enough to think this rotation sets up well for the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I’m not sure it says we aren’t including those guys but it does say Cowser and Kjerstad aren’t on the board imo.

It is odd to think about it though. The Os went after Cease in July. They are going after him now.  For several months, he has been a target for them.  Clearly they value him and they like him.  Clearly they believe he is someone that upgrades our staff and you figure they believe they can “fix him” or else they wouldn’t be going after him. So, why are they not paying up to get him?

Either there interest in him has been completely overblown or they have other things in the works. 

Elias can’t be naive enough to think he has all the in house options he needs nor can he be naive enough to think this rotation sets up well for the playoffs.

I guess it’s possible they’re only engaging on a superficial basis, similar to “checking in” on Nola or “being in play” for last year’s FAs. Also possible they’re reading the market and just playing it VERY slow to avoid overpaying above all else.

Again given what has felt like heavy leaks and negotiations through the media, maybe the WS are leaking about our casual interest just to try to drum up some sort of market.

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I guess it’s possible they’re only engaging on a superficial basis, similar to “checking in” on Nola or “being in play” for last year’s FAs. Also possible they’re reading the market and just playing it VERY slow to avoid overpaying above all else.

Again given what has felt like heavy leaks and negotiations through the media, maybe the WS are leaking about our casual interest just to try to drum up some sort of market.

And that’s possible. It is possible the Os see Cease as a guy who is what he is. Great stuff but not likely to put it all together again.

Im not sure. I tend to doubt there has been this much smoke but no fire. Too many good people are linking us to Cease and our local guys are to. I think we are definitely going after him.

But we don’t know to what level the interest is there. At this point, Elias should have a good idea of what it would take.

If the Yankees get him, it’s an upside/quantity deal with a lot of risk, which the WS fans have been saying they don’t want and that Cease is worth way more than that.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And that’s possible. It is possible the Os see Cease as a guy who is what he is. Great stuff but not likely to put it all together again.

Im not sure. I tend to doubt there has been this much smoke but no fire. Too many good people are linking us to Cease and our local guys are to. I think we are definitely going after him.

But we don’t know to what level the interest is there. At this point, Elias should have a good idea of what it would take.

If the Yankees get him, it’s an upside/quantity deal with a lot of risk, which the WS fans have been saying they don’t want and that Cease is worth way more than that.

My guess is it’s prioritizing not overpaying for Cease above all else, thus playing it very slowly, while also exploring other options with more team control first. It’s hard to argue with this strategy right now since Cease hasn’t been moved. Moment of truth will be if/when Getz calls and says he has an offer from somewhere else that he’s going to take. Obviously he hasn’t made that call yet and Cease hasn’t been moved. 

Edited by ThisIsBirdland

17 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I’ll be excited to see him throw in ST.  He could very well throw 0IP.  Elbow pain 4 starts after returning from TJ is pretty worrisome.  

I was disappointed that he experienced the elbow pain and was not able to pitch in the ALDS but by all reports, it was minor and he would have been on the ALCS roster had they made it. He will have a full and normal offseason to prepare. I am going with the fact that a high percentage of guys return to form after TJ. I think there it is a good bet that he performs well. It is not 100% of course but I don't think it is "silly" to count on him which is the comment I was responding to. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are you serious .... Jones, Dominquez, and Pereira are 73-75 respectively and Hampton is 95.

So you think #75, #95 , and a their organizational #6 is worth more than #14, #55, and Org #11? Please explain how you are calculating that. Cowser plus 2 non top 100s are more value than the above offer. Think Cowser, Norby and Povich.