Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with other money.  I just think philosophically he doesn’t want to give out FA contracts over 3 years.

At least not to pitchers.  I know he hasn't given any to position players but I would think he would consider it for the right player.  I don't see him making any homegrown player an "Oriole for life" unless the owner insists on it.

On 12/4/2023 at 10:40 AM, RZNJ said:

IMO, the Rays are looking to get that 25M off the books.  Taking back someone like Santander kind of defeats the whole purpose.  Lots of reasons why the Orioles and Rays aren’t a good match on this.

I would like the O's to pursue Glasnow.  I think for one year he's almost as good as Burnes and would cost less.  I think he's a better bet to be a true frontline starter than Dylan Cease.  

I think the Rays would be a good fit in a lot of ways.  They are a smart organization which means that they are less likely to be sentimental about trading within the division.  They are also smart enough to recognize that the O's #4 prospect is better than most team's #1 prospect.   And they value a lot of the same traits in position players that the Orioles do.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I am having trouble following what you think has been said by whom about Povich.  

It's clear what was said that I responded to.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

No offense, but if you’re getting your information from the “Povich camp” it seems that is going to put the most positive spin on Mr. Povich and his future.  

No offense, but you don't know that family nor do you know that it was shared by a member of the Orioles front office.   

Edited by HuskerFan

3 hours ago, HuskerFan said:

No offense, but you don't know that family nor do you know that it was shared by a member of the Orioles front office.   

Isn’t it possible that the Orioles like Povich a lot, expect him to be a contributor in 2024, but would still be open to trading him if that’s what it took?   If the WS asked for Joey Ortiz and Povich for Cease I suspect Elias would pull the trigger.   Are you suggesting that the Orioles are so high on Povich that he’s essentially on the “no trade” list?

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would like the O's to pursue Glasnow.  I think for one year he's almost as good as Burnes and would cost less.  I think he's a better bet to be a true frontline starter than Dylan Cease.  

I think the Rays would be a good fit in a lot of ways.  They are a smart organization which means that they are less likely to be sentimental about trading within the division.  They are also smart enough to recognize that the O's #4 prospect is better than most team's #1 prospect.   And they value a lot of the same traits in position players that the Orioles do.  

Glasnow has a $25M salary and has never pitched over 120 innings.  That doesn’t sound like the aisle Elias is shopping down.  I agree with most of your comments.  A great talent and TB is smart.

BP did a full-blown Dylan Cease piece today https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/87076/flyover-country-dra-vs-dylan-cease/

One bit I learned from it:

Here’s the unusual thing about Cease: He’s a strictly vertical guy who still walks everyone. Of the pitches he threw this season that were called balls, only 16.1% missed wide, but not high or low. That’s the third-lowest percentage, out of 147 qualifying pitchers, and most of the guys who hang out in the same range as Cease on that particular leaderboard throw a lot more strikes.

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

BP did a full-blown Dylan Cease piece today https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/87076/flyover-country-dra-vs-dylan-cease/

One bit I learned from it:

Here’s the unusual thing about Cease: He’s a strictly vertical guy who still walks everyone. Of the pitches he threw this season that were called balls, only 16.1% missed wide, but not high or low. That’s the third-lowest percentage, out of 147 qualifying pitchers, and most of the guys who hang out in the same range as Cease on that particular leaderboard throw a lot more strikes.

I just think he’s the guy you don’t overpay to get.

Edited by Roll Tide

7 hours ago, HuskerFan said:

Then maybe you shouldn’t be on here telling secrets and potentially getting the kid in trouble. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Isn’t it possible that the Orioles like Povich a lot, expect him to be a contributor in 2024, but would still be open to trading him if that’s what it took?   If the WS asked for Joey Ortiz and Povich for Cease I suspect Elias would pull the trigger.   Are you suggesting that the Orioles are so high on Povich that he’s essentially on the “no trade” list?

I will repeat what I originally stated: Sounds like everyone on here can remove Povich from their trade options this winter. 

And I stand by that.  He will be in the Orioles ST & begin the season within the Organization. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Then maybe you shouldn’t be on here telling secrets and potentially getting the kid in trouble. 

Oh, is this place only for dudes to pretend to be GM's?   If so let me know as it's easy to log off and never visit again.  

The kid didn't tell me anything.  I shared something that came from his camp, which could be from a variety of different people.  "Secrets", that's funny.  

And here I though this place would enjoy an update regarding a prospect of the Org.  My mistake, which won't happen again.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

I will repeat what I originally stated: Sounds like everyone on here can remove Povich from their trade options this winter. 

And I stand by that.  He will be in the Orioles ST & begin the season within the Organization. 

Oh, is this place only for dudes to pretend to be GM's?   If so let me know as it's easy to log off and never visit again.  

The kid didn't tell me anything.  I shared something that came from his camp, which could be from a variety of different people.  "Secrets", that's funny.  

And here I though this place would enjoy an update regarding a prospect of the Org.  My mistake, which won't happen again.  

The only thing I would say is that people tend to like to have some level of evidence behind this.

You just stating it without knowing your source, credibility, etc…only carries so much weight. 

I don’t doubt that you have heard something but there is zero chance the Os view him as an untouchable player.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The only thing I would say is that people tend to like to have some level of evidence behind this.

You just stating it without knowing your source, credibility, etc…only carries so much weight. 

I don’t doubt that you have heard something but there is zero chance the Os view him as an untouchable player.

Given how many guys are reportedly untouchable I can see them adding even more names to the list.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That isn't what I said so don't put words in my mouth.  

What I did say, for the third time:  Sounds like everyone on here can remove Povich from their trade options this winter. 

There is 0% chance he's not with the O's in ST '24.  Enjoy the next couple months, I'll be back mid February.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

That isn't what I said so don't put words in my mouth.  

What I did say, for the third time:  Sounds like everyone on here can remove Povich from their trade options this winter. 

There is 0% chance he's not with the O's in ST '24.  Enjoy the next couple months, I'll be back mid February.

If you can remove him from trade options and he is 100% going to be here, that’s another way of saying he’s untouchable….unless he is about to undergo surgery.