Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

7 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I have to ask.......if you had Skubal, would you REALLY give him up for what you just offered??  I wouldn't.  Why on earth would the Tigers do that deal?? 

I’m just making conversation with a framework type suggestion. Bro, I’m still on my first cup of coffee. I don’t what the heck the Tigers would want in a minor league prospect. I can look at a depth chart and see what mlb players that might fit. Look at the deadline last year… we could tell that Prieto was likely to go, but nobody was saying Showalter.

Would we really even want Skubal?  Just mentioning his name is reason to catch wrath. Facebook level stuff. Only the top dawgs are targets. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like Ed Rod was going to veto any trade at the deadline so he didn’t risk messing anything up with his FA payday in a playoff push. He tried to fly under the radar in Detroit. 

Moving onto Luzardo, Cease, Burnes, and Skubal.

The Tigers are a team that might be interested in a 3-1 quantity over quality type trade for Skubal. Irvin, Urias, Mateo/Stowers/Norby. 

Tigers are a good young team.  They aren’t trading their pitching.  They will likely be in the market to acquire pitching.  They went under the radar last year, but I think they challenge for AL Central this year. 

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Tigers are a good young team.  They aren’t trading their pitching.  They will likely be in the market to acquire pitching.  They went under the radar last year, but I think they challenge for AL Central this year. 

I hear you. lol. I’m just not at the point where I want to do a deep dive into the Tigers org. The offseason isn’t that dark yet. I know Detroit started Tyler Nevin last year at 3B and DH. When you do that, your position player group was weak. Urias also has more value than people think, he just doesn’t have the Ortiz cult following. Cowser had that following. Now people are dealing him for a bag of Doritos. 

I don't think from a process standpoint the Rays would not consider Orioles offers, or that the Orioles would not bid for Tyler Glasnow.    I do consider a core competency of Mike Elias' job until things are better balanced to know the acquisition cost and have his nose in there for any of the world's best pitchers, who are at least plausibly affordable for the market we're in.

I noticed during Nashville the Glasnow rumor scroll for whatever reason happened to say it could happen soon after Ohtani gets to a team.

Glasnow should cost less than Burnes as his year before FA salary about 50% higher.      Burnes' forecast at 1/16 is only a baby step from Kimbrel; Glasnow at 1/25 is a larger one.

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't think from a process standpoint the Rays would not consider Orioles offers, or that the Orioles would not bid for Tyler Glasnow.    I do consider a core competency of Mike Elias' job until things are better balanced to know the acquisition cost and have his nose in there for any of the world's best pitchers, who are at least plausibly affordable for the market we're in.

I noticed during Nashville the Glasnow rumor scroll for whatever reason happened to say it could happen soon after Ohtani gets to a team.

Glasnow should cost less than Burnes as his year before FA salary about 50% higher.      Burnes' forecast at 1/16 is only a baby step from Kimbrel; Glasnow at 1/25 is a larger one.

The Os arent going to pay 25M for Glasnow. No reason to even spend anymore time thinking about it.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

He becomes a free agent at the end of the year.  It’s a one year thing.  If they are really good, it will have been worthwhile, but they could just be mediocre. 

I get that, but the Yankees basically gave up two swing arms, a back-up catcher, a 23 year old who hasn't proven himself in the upper minors, and a 29 year old pither who probably can't be a full time starter because he has only thrown a combined 247 innings in the last five years.  Again, that seems like a very small price to to pay to land a 24 year old future all-star, even if it is just for one season. And who knows, maybe he'll fall in love with NY and want to resign/stay. 

And to further shed some more light on just how elite Juan Soto has been...

5 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I get that, but the Yankees basically gave up two swing arms, a back-up catcher, a 23 year old who hasn't proven himself in the upper minors, and a 29 year old pither who probably can't be a full time starter because he has only thrown a combined 247 innings in the last five years.  Again, that seems like a very small price to to pay to land a 24 year old future all-star, even if it is just for one season.

Luckily, Soto is 25.  😎

9 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I get that, but the Yankees basically gave up two swing arms, a back-up catcher, a 23 year old who hasn't proven himself in the upper minors, and a 29 year old pither who probably can't be a full time starter because he has only thrown a combined 247 innings in the last five years.  Again, that seems like a very small price to to pay to land a 24 year old future all-star, even if it is just for one season. And who knows, maybe he'll fall in love with NY and want to resign/stay. 

And to further shed some more light on just how elite Juan Soto has been...

You do also have to pay him ~33M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like Ed Rod was going to veto any trade at the deadline so he didn’t risk messing anything up with his FA payday in a playoff push. He tried to fly under the radar in Detroit. 

Moving onto Luzardo, Cease, Burnes, and Skubal.

The Tigers are a team that might be interested in a 3-1 quantity over quality type trade for Skubal. Irvin, Urias, Mateo/Stowers/Norby. 

You have to work on your trade offers.  Spare parts + Norby for Skubal.  Not close.

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You have to work on your trade offers.  Spare parts + Norby for Skubal.  Not close.

I’m not convinced that Elias is good at trading. We really haven’t seen him trade for anyone worthwhile yet. Fuji was a salary dump, Flaherty was a loser as we basically got nothing worth talking about out of him. 

6 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's still a great trade and the Yankees have deep enough pockets to replenish their pitching with FAs. It doesn't reak of desperation at all to me. Literally every team should have been calling the Padres about Soto when they put him on the market because players "that good" are rarely ever available. 

Well, I see it differently. I'm not convinced it is a great trade. I am assuming that they are confident that he will sign longterm with them because that's a lot to give away for one year. Yes, the NYY can buy whatever they want and Yes, Soto has great stats but he certainly was not a difference maker in SD.

I believe that Cashman is panicked and is trying to save his job. All those things can be true. The yankees have been an average team (most years) for a long time now. No team can trade multiple assets for single assets consistently and not get old and unatheltic like they have been for the last few years.

Edited by MCO'sFan

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os arent going to pay 25M for Glasnow. No reason to even spend anymore time thinking about it.

Its GM malpractice if Elias isn't, even if due to financial constraints he has to negotiate for Tampa to send $$$ and gain access to a better prospect.

Do you see a difference between Burnes ~1/16 and this?     I would agree Cease ~2/25 is different financially, though a bit worse on quality.

If we are lucky Adley Rutschman will earn 1/25 as an Arb3 in 2027; now is when we have a bunch of the guys on the baseball equivalent of their Lamar rookie deals, and Angelos' practices are worse than a league-wide salary cap.     

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not convinced that Elias is good at trading. We really haven’t seen him trade for anyone worthwhile yet. Fuji was a salary dump, Flaherty was a loser as we basically got nothing worth talking about out of him. 

Kyle Bradish wants to know how closely you follow the team.

• Haha 1