MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

21 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Right on cue.  It won't be long to where this is a realistic question for O's fans.

The small and mid market teams know that if they want to keep an successful organization, they need to spend early on their franchise player to stay successful.  Teams pay more later if teams think they want to be cheap now. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I wonder if Jackson, Gunnar or Adley would be interested in a similar deal.

Hopefully this works out better then the Rays extension with Wander Franco.   Though i am sure they will get contract voided at some point. 

I’d like to see us claim/work out a small trade for Moises Gomez that’s currently in DFA land with STL. Big power RH RF. Lots of game power. Lots of K’s. 39 HR in 22’. 30 HR in 23’.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=gomez-003moi

Could he be the next Arozarena or Aroldis Garcia?  STL has a history of just giving way OF for some reason.

Our 40 man roster is at 38 right now. He could be a platoon RH COF for us with all of our LHH.  He has a two options remaining. Currently ranked #24 by MLB pipeline with STL.  If anything it would be fun just to see what Norfolk’s lineup could put up on a nightly basis.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's not exactly surprising or earth shattering news, but the Dodgers officially resigned Kershaw. 

Incoming trade to the Yankees. The Dodgers could’ve waited till ST started to make this official so they could just put him straight on the 60 day IL and not make a 40 man move. 

They have some RH optionable arms that might interest us in AAA. Since we missed out, or chose not to spend, on a reliever. 

17 minutes ago, Keygans said:

The more days that pass, the more I’d love JD Martinez in our lineup… of course we’d need to create room 

Yup. Nelson Cruz vibes for sure. Lots of playoff experience too. Carlos Beltran vibes from when Houston brought him in. 

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I keep seeing people talk up JD Martinez but either I haven't been paying enough attention to him or in the last 2 years he hasn't done much. Why is he so well regarded around here? He seems like he's over the hill. 

If a 125 OPS+ over the last 2 years is considered not doing much then your expectations must be pretty high. 

1 hour ago, Keygans said:

The more days that pass, the more I’d love JD Martinez in our lineup… of course we’d need to create room 

So you want bring on a DH when we basically already have two semi DHs on the roster, in Santander and Kjerstad, and a catcher who we'll need to DH on occasion to keep his bat in the lineup? How exactly is that going to work out? 

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

A year away from FA, Astros extend Altuve for 2025-2029, 5/125.

Bregman and Altuve both playing 2024 at ~$30M, in what is now a walk year for Bregman alone.

With so many teams extending their franchise players, this is good for baseball. It gives each franchise a real identity and allows for some interesting rivalries and match-ups around the league.

9 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So you want bring on a DH when we basically already have two semi DHs on the roster, in Santander and Kjerstad, and a catcher who we'll need to DH on occasion to keep his bat in the lineup? How exactly is that going to work out? 

Don't forget O'Hearn.