MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

I love Elias and he's done a wonderful job.  Everyone knows "they won 101 games!!" but they didn't win a single game in the playoffs.

I don’t give a damn about that playoff series when it comes to thinking about constructing the 2024 roster.  Bradish was 4th in the Cy Young voting and he lost.  Rodriguez was one of the top pitchers in the league in the second half and he got shelled.  Kremer had low 3’s ERA after April and he got shelled.   We ran into a buzz saw.  It happens.   I’m much more concerned with putting together a roster that can weather a 162 game season.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t give a damn about that playoff series when it comes to thinking about constructing the 2024 roster.  Bradish was 4th in the Cy Young voting and he lost.  Rodriguez was one of the top pitchers in the league in the second half and he got shelled.  Kremer had low 3’s ERA after April and he got shelled.   We ran into a buzz saw.  It happens.   I’m much more concerned with putting together a roster that can weather a 162 game season.

I care about it.  We lost because the pitching was really bad after Bradish.  Every starter in that series was way over his previous career high in innings.  We still don't know how many innings Rodriguez can be effective in 2024 since he's never had a full season in the majors.  I like Kremer but I didn't want him starting a playoff game last year.  What happens if any of them get hurt in 24?  The rotation is a mystery after those three right now and we were really lucky with starting pitcher health last year.  What if the O's had grabbed Eovaldi instead of the Rangers.  Maybe if the O's grab Montgomery at the deadline, the Rangers don't even make the playoffs.  He was great in 11 regular season starts for them.  No one wants some crazy trade or massive FA contract but they could certainly do more than adding Irvins and Fujis.    

Edited by Ripken

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I've been saying all along this angle of "You have to build a rapport with these kids to get them to sign" is overblown.

Overblown by who?   Do you think having a rapport with the players and their “agents” is important?   The teams seem to think so although this seems to be the 2nd time we got a higher profile player when his deal with his original team fell through.  

I’m still not totally clear how things work down there but if Koby Perez tells me having relationships down there is vitally important I tend to believe him.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I've been saying all along this angle of "You have to build a rapport with these kids to get them to sign" is overblown.

The players I see seem to enjoy playing together and by extension playing for the O's.  Maybe they secretly hate playing for the O's and that's why no extensions are signed but teams like Tampa have no problems signing guys to extensions.  The stress must be killing these guys to keep their disgust w/ the O's hidden.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Overblown by who?   Do you think having a rapport with the players and their “agents” is important?   The teams seem to think so although this seems to be the 2nd time we got a higher profile player when his deal with his original team fell through.  

I’m still not totally clear how things work down there but if Koby Perez tells me having relationships down there is vitally important I tend to believe him.

The folks that were explaining away why guys weren't getting signed despite the O's having available pool funds.  I heard a lot of "You have to build a relationship with these kids starting when they are 12 years old."  (obviously that isn't a literal quote I'm not digging up threads from 2018).

BTW I've never stated that a relationship wasn't useful.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The players I see seem to enjoy playing together and by extension playing for the O's.  Maybe they secretly hate playing for the O's and that's why no extensions are signed but teams like Tampa have no problems signing guys to extensions.  The stress must be killing these guys to keep their disgust w/ the O's hidden.

I have no clue what you think you are responding to here.

Not sure why you even quoted me.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It is a lot harder and well earned to play 162 games and win 101 than win a short playoff series. In a short series anyone can win if hot at the right time. The 4 best teams didn't win.