MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would have been alright with Wacha. 25-6 over the past two years, 3.27 ERA with a 4.01 FIP, 1.139 WHIP. I get that he doesn’t have electric stuff and he’s more of a command guy but as a 4th or 5th (I still don’t believe we’re going after elite rotation talent) he’d be an upgrade over Gibson and Lyles. 

But whatever, it’s cool that the Royals are spending money. 

I'm sayin... He would have been alright. At least in a scenario where we don't do better than him. So... I hope we do better than him.

If Valdez is really being put on the trade market to prepare some finances in order to resign long time Astros franchise players like Bregman and Turner, I would go all in on Framber Valdez if I was Mike Elias or Sig Meijdal. He checks all the boxes. He's a left handed Ace that will get a salary within the Orioles budget and still has 2 years of team control. And we have the relationships with the Astros front office to negotiate something to get it done, plus a gluttony of prospects who are blocking each other from each getting a respectable opportunity in the Majors.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If Valdez is really being put on the trade market to prepare some finances in order to resign long time Astros franchise players like Bregman and Turner, I would go all in on Framber Valdez if I was Mike Elias or Sig Meijdal. He checks all the boxes. He's a left handed Ace that will get a salary within the Orioles budget and still has 2 years of team control. And we have the relationships with the Astros front office to negotiate something to get it done, plus a gluttony of prospects who are blocking each other from each getting a respectable opportunity in the Majors.

Relationships are all fine and dandy but there are certain guys around a sport that anyone could make a deal with. Dipoto in Seattle is one of those guys who would deal anything not nailed down. I’m wondering if it’s the not wanting to part with your prospects or a combination of the resources being made available to him. But, Elias doesn’t seem to be strong at trading. I am not talking about the selling off your assets side as I think his team is great at evaluating others prospects for a potential deal. I think it’s stuff in the other direction. The Flaherty deal was a bust even if the guys we gave up end up being nothing. He made no positive impact on the team outside of one start. Fuji was probably what you’d expect in hindsight since he was hot and cold before he got here. 

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would have been alright with Wacha. 25-6 over the past two years, 3.27 ERA with a 4.01 FIP, 1.139 WHIP. I get that he doesn’t have electric stuff and he’s more of a command guy but as a 4th or 5th (I still don’t believe we’re going after elite rotation talent) he’d be an upgrade over Gibson and Lyles. 

But whatever, it’s cool that the Royals are spending money. 

The Royals are doing what we did for many years not rebuild but also not improve their farm system basically moving deck chairs around.  Nothing they have done will make them a playoff type team but also should put them at 70s wins which hurts your draft position and lowers your draft pool amount.  They have a big advantage over us at least in the fact the other teams in their division are also small to mid market teams where we are in with big spenders.  I don’t like anything they are really doing except making their team a more competitive team that may get close to .500. Now they could be getting these guys to then unload at deadline to try and speed up their rebuild some which might work but we will have to see.  I feel like they are just wasting Bobby Witt Jr’s years while not giving team a chance to win.  
Now I am also not been a fan of our off season but it not over yet and I hope that we see some moves to release the glut of major leaguers and major league ready players we have.  The biggest complaint I have had is the lack of moves made and not talking about big moves or spending 50 million.  I love what the Braves have done with making some moves to free up roster spots take on some bad contracts as well to add more young cheap talent.  They took on some of Matt Carpenter’s contract in salary dump by Padres so they could get Ray Kerr a hard throwing strikeout guy with 5 years of control.  They then plan to move Carpenter and eat a little of the contract to move him.  They probably got a late inning guy with 5 years of control for 2 million dollars and low level prospect.   The Braves have made decent amount of moves but kept there same main core.  That is what I would like to see if we don’t have the money for a front line starter.  

AL East offseason score card,

-Ohtani didn’t go to Toronto.

- Soto did.

- Glasnow left. And Margot.

- Yankees lost some good, young, power arms.

If…Yamamota to LAD. Bellinger to Cubs. Stephenson to outside the division. Mets get two of Imangana, Snell, Gray, and Montgomery… then that is a huge win for us. 

Pretty much the dream scenario for Offseason AL East defense. 

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We really should be rooting for Yamamota to go to the Dodgers. Once he goes there then it takes the Dodgers out of the SP market and eliminates them as trade partners for Cease/Luzardo/Burnes. 

The dodgers would represent the combo of craziness and prospects that it would take to outbid us in a trade. 

I think the guy would have to have a screw loose not to go to the Dodgers.  Get top dollar and play on a world class team that is trying to win the WS every year and putting every single potential resource into doing so.  Impressive organization from top to bottom.  

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

AL East offseason score card,

-Ohtani didn’t go to Toronto.

- Soto did.

- Glasnow left. And Margot.

- Yankees lost some good, young, power arms.

If…Yamamota to LAD. Bellinger to Cubs. Stephenson to outside the division. Mets get two of Imangana, Snell, Gray, and Montgomery… then that is a huge win for us. 

Pretty much the dream scenario for Offseason AL East defense. 

Decent chance that Pepiot contributes more to Tampa than Glasnow did last year.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We really should be rooting for Yamamota to go to the Dodgers. Once he goes there then it takes the Dodgers out of the SP market and eliminates them as trade partners for Cease/Luzardo/Burnes. 

The dodgers would represent the combo of craziness and prospects that it would take to outbid us in a trade. 

There-s 20+ means that can outbid the O's if you exclydw the top 5 prospects.