MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Give it time.  He started meddling last year.

What did he do? I don't really remember. 

Just funny that signing the best reliever on the market is somehow bad. I get that these kind of things can go bad though, i.e. Chris Davis. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

What did he do? I don't really remember. 

Just funny that signing the best reliever on the market is somehow bad. I get that these kind of things can go bad though, i.e. Chris Davis. 

No one had a problem with Peter Angelos interference at first.  I remember it well.   Last year Crane was behind the Rafael Montero contract.  I forget what else.  

Edited by RZNJ

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

An enjoyable one from a Fangraphs commenter on the Astros' Hader win.      

I love how the Astros lose a high leverage reliever and immediately the GM goes out and says as loud as possible “we’re not going to panic!” And the owner panics within a day or two and gives Hader the contract he has been looking for all along. I suppose there are worse owners to work for but it’s so obvious when Dana Brown is getting overruled like that.

JA will never overrule Elias and spend more money.  I will bet $$ on that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

An enjoyable one from a Fangraphs commenter on the Astros' Hader win.      

I love how the Astros lose a high leverage reliever and immediately the GM goes out and says as loud as possible “we’re not going to panic!” And the owner panics within a day or two and gives Hader the contract he has been looking for all along. I suppose there are worse owners to work for but it’s so obvious when Dana Brown is getting overruled like that.

The Astros have some type of creep or drift going on with how they are running things.  It’s not that the owner is “terrible” as @interloper misquoted that the commenter is noting.  But the lack of org alignment at the top of the chart.  We mock when JA puts his foot in his mouth.  And we question some comments that Elias makes.  But I don’t get the sense that Elias and JA are that out of sync with each other (unless you want to interpret signing Hader as part of “non-freak out mode” and part of the plan).

There is a big picture business game (P&L statements, R&D, product development, marketing,…).  And an on the field game happening too (winning and losing).  So much of a fans focus is on the on the field W-L.  That’s our joy.  But as a business, leadership has to be aligned.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

The Astros have some type of creep or drift going on with how they are running things.  It’s not that the owner is “terrible” as @interloper misquoted that the commenter is noting.  But the lack of org alignment at the top of the chart.  We mock when JA puts his foot in his mouth.  And we question some comments that Elias makes.  But I don’t get the sense that Elias and JA are that out of sync with each other (unless you want to interpret signing Hader as part of “non-freak out mode” and part of the plan).

There is a big picture business game (P&L statements, R&D, product development, marketing,…).  And an on the field game happening too (winning and losing).  So much of a fans focus is on the on the field W-L.  That’s our joy.  But as a business, leadership has to be aligned.

My bad, reading back what I posted I'm not sure why I put "terrible owner" in quotes. Not sure if my brain decided to read something that wasn't written or what. I regret the error!

I do think it's funny though that the commenter sees this as worrisome meddling. No owner/GM is going to hit on all signings, but this one is about as bulletproof and defensible as you can get. I think Crane has a long way to go before he's seen as a lower tier owner in the sport. At least from an outside perspective.

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, interloper said:

My bad, reading back what I posted I'm not sure why I put "terrible owner" in quotes. Not sure if my brain decided to read something that wasn't written or what. I regret the error!

I do think it's funny though that the commenter sees this as worrisome meddling. No owner/GM is going to hit on all signings, but this one is about as bulletproof and defensible as you can get. I think Crane has a long way to go before he's seen as a lower tier owner in the sport. At least from an outside perspective.

The upgrade from John Angelos to Crane is a bigger upgrade than any player acquisition could be.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The upgrade from John Angelos to Crane is a bigger upgrade than any player acquisition could be.

It’s hard to imagine an ownership change being worse than what we currently have. An owner acting like he’s broke is the worst kind.

• Upvote 1

Since Adley Rutschman has quickly become a cornerstone player in Baltimore, catching prospect Samuel Basallo is often mentioned as a possible trade chip for the Orioles.  MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko writes that rival clubs are indeed “checking on the availability” of Basallo in trade talks, yet it doesn’t seem likely that the O’s would move him for anything less than a spectacular offer.  Basallo doesn’t turn 20 until August, and since he has only four games of Double-A experience, the Orioles can take their time with his development as both a catcher and as a hitter.  Basallo has a strong throwing arm but evaluators are somewhat mixed on his future behind the plate, so if he ends up becoming more of a catcher/first base hybrid, Kubatko notes that there might be room for both Basallo and Rutschman to co-exist on Baltimore’s roster.  One of many gems from the Orioles’ deep farm system, Basallo is ranked by MLB Pipeline as the 46th-best prospect in all of baseball, while Baseball America puts Basallo behind only Jackson Holliday as Baltimore’s top minor leaguer.

MLB rumors 

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s hard to imagine an ownership change being worse than what we currently have. An owner acting like he’s broke is the worst kind.

JA only gets away with it because it's a small city.  The Red Sox owner John Henry is getting savaged because he dares to spend less than the luxury tax.  Compare that to Baltimore where not a word is said by the media about Angelos' unwillingness to spend money.  Praying for a new owner before JA minimizes the O's winning chances thru their best time to win the World Series at least since the mid 1990's.

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

JA only gets away with it because it's a small city.  The Red Sox owner John Henry is getting savaged because he dares to spend less than the luxury tax.  Compare that to Baltimore where not a word is said by the media about Angelos' unwillingness to spend money.  Praying for a new owner before JA minimizes the O's winning chances thru their best time to win the World Series at least since the mid 1990's.

It’s been speculated that they are trying to retain ownership after Peter’s passing. The only way they can afford the tax implications is to hoard money. I don’t claim to understand how it works but it’s a big check. 

MLBTR Chat Tonight.  No real news but thought this was funny.  Not sure if it’s our SG but …….. hmmm.

Sportsguy

8:15

What do you think the coolest MLB logo is?

Answer.  The Brewers. 

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s been speculated that they are trying to retain ownership after Peter’s passing. The only way they can afford the tax implications is to hoard money. I don’t claim to understand how it works but it’s a big check. 

Doesn't the new ownership group have to be approved by MLB?  There needs to be a grassroots group to let MLB know what a terrible owner JA is if that ever happens.

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Doesn't the new ownership group have to be approved by MLB?  There needs to be a grassroots group to let MLB know what a terrible owner JA is if that ever happens.

Not that I think it would make the slightest bit of difference but if you wanted to do something of the sort you wouldn't target MLB you'd target the individual owners.

You need a 75% vote to get approved.

Any thoughts on trying to scoop Adam Ottavino? He'd old, but he had a nice season last year and I wouldn't hate him living in the 6th inning zone. Here's an interesting article on why he declined the Mets option:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/adam-ottavino-free-agent-mets-player-option.html

I'm sure he'll hold out as long as possible to try and beat that $6.75 option, which he probably will. 

Edited by interloper

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Any thoughts on trying to scoop Adam Ottavino? He'd old, but he had a nice season last year and I wouldn't hate him living in the 6th inning zone. Here's an interesting article on why he declined the Mets option:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/adam-ottavino-free-agent-mets-player-option.html

I'm sure he'll hold out as long as possible to try and beat that $6.75 option, which he probably will. 

I’d take a flier on him.