Gunnar is so confident

wildcard

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

Barring injury, truly baseball records of various kinds are at great risk from Gunnar.  And as Dizzy Dean  said  many moons ago,  IF YOU CAN DO IT, IT A'INT BRAGGIN.  He can do it IMO.   

Funny, I was just thinking about that exact quote when reading the OP.   Hope he’ll do it.

I am more excited about watching Gunnar’s career progress than I have been in a long time.  I would guess Mike Mussina would be the last player I saw the greatness coming.  I have tried to temper it a little of it because under the current ownership I know there is no way we would keep Gunnar past his arbitration years.  Now I see a light at the end of that tunnel.  Yes, Scott Boras his agent but I believe he will want to stay if he offered market money.  A new owner will want to pay a generational player like Gunnar.  

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Just listen to the WBAL Hot Stove podcast for Nov 30.

Gunnar has asked what is next for you:

As a team I would love to win a World Series.....

Honestly, just I feel like I can put the work in, allow myself to go out there and take a shot at the MVP for years to come.

https://www.wbal.com/podcast/orioles-insider/

Those 2 things are connected. If Gunnar is really an MVP candidate year after year, it strengthens the O's chances of winning a World Series.  

So what do you think 2024 looks like for Gunnar?

If you’d like to cherry-pick his season, in his final 97 games he hit .276/.323/.533, with 22 homers and 67 RBI.  Over a full year that would be something like 37 homers and 112 RBI.   

Although Gunnar clearly traded OBP for power at some point in May last year, I think he’s capable of putting his OBP back into the .350 range without sacrificing power, with a little more experience.  Maybe not this year, but eventually.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what do you think 2024 looks like for Gunnar?

If you’d like to cherry-pick his season, in his final 97 games he hit .276/.323/.533, with 22 homers and 67 RBI.  Over a full year that would be something like 37 homers and 112 RBI.   

Although Gunnar clearly traded OBP for power at some point in May last year, I think he’s capable of putting his OBP back into the .350 range without sacrificing power, with a little more experience.  Maybe not this year, but eventually.  

Something about that slash line you noted sounded very Nelson Cruz to me and sure enough, here was Nelson's one year in Baltimore: .271/.333/.525 with 40 HR and 108 RBI. I'd take that!

Edited by interloper
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

Just listen to the WBAL Hot Stove podcast for Nov 30.

Gunnar has asked what is next for you:

As a team I would love to win a World Series.....

Honestly, just I feel like I can put the work in, allow myself to go out there and take a shot at the MVP for years to come.

https://www.wbal.com/podcast/orioles-insider/

He doesn't sound like he's a guy that will sign a "reasonable" extension with the O's.  I just hope the O's can get to the World Series while he's here and win.  O's will probably have to trade him in 4 years.

If you are not the most confident athlete on the planet you will not succeed at the highest level. Self-belief is absolutely mandatory if you are going to be the best. I hope Gunnar thinks he is the best player in the league. It's the only way he will become the best player in the league. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He doesn't sound like he's a guy that will sign a "reasonable" extension with the O's.  I just hope the O's can get to the World Series while he's here and win.  O's will probably have to trade him in 4 years.

Or, and just hear me out here, they could identify one or two of the most valuable members of this winning team they've constructed and offer them fair market value to stick around. Maybe a new owner can get on that before 2027.

• Upvote 1