Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

21 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Framber Valdez?

He’s not a FA.  I think he was discussed at length in the Cease thread’s early goings.  I think I’d be down, but would question why a data savy org like the Astros would have him on the block.  I think he’d cost a mint in prospects. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

They could pay Snell with the stockpiled money from the last few years. It would affect other moves. If we had good owners they want threaten to raise prices to sign/extend  guys. They would be honorable about the $200 million from revenue sharing, national tv contracts, plus luxury tax money we are receiving and stop acting like they’re broke. I think this guy might actually be worse than Peter

So you call Paxton and Ryu "crap" for not throwing a lot if innings lately and then call the Orioles cheap for not signing Snell who's thrown more than 130 innings twice in the last eight seasons? Explain that logic to me. Why are innings thrown important (to you) for some, but not others? 

Would I like the Orioles to make a splash and sign a big name free agent? Sure, but I'm also old enough to remember that giving long term deals to the wrong player scrippled this franchise for years. So I'm certainly not going to criticize them for possibly making that same mistake on a player as inconsistent and volatile as Snell. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

So you call Paxton and Ryu "crap" for not throwing a lot if innings lately and then call the Orioles cheap for not signing Snell who's thrown more than 130 innings twice in the last eight seasons? Explain that logic to me. Why are innings thrown important (to you) for some, but not others? 

Would I like the Orioles to make a splash and sign a big name free agent? Sure, but I'm also old enough to remember that giving long term deals to the wrong players scrippled this franchise for years. So I'm certainly not going to criticize them for possibly making that same mistake on a player as inconsistent and volatile as Snell. 

*crippled*

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Would I like the Orioles to make a splash and sign a big name free agent? Sure, but I'm also old enough to remember that giving long term deals to the wrong player scrippled this franchise for years. So I'm certainly not going to criticize them for possibly making that same mistake on a player as inconsistent and volatile as Snell. 

He’s thrown 3 X the innings that Ryu or Paxton has in the last 3 years. The other poster brought up Snell who I wouldn’t mind getting. The guys I wanted since the offseason started were Burnes and Gray.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s thrown 3 X the innings that Ryu or Paxton has in the last 3 years. The other poster brought up Snell who I wouldn’t mind getting. The guys I wanted since the offseason started were Burnes and Gray.

My point is John Angelos has down many things to merit criticism, but not signing Blake Snell to a long term deal is not one of them. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Right.  They win 101 games, with some luck, and all the sudden it’s WS or bust.  ME gets it, if you build a solid system that produces quality players year after year, the on field product is good, enjoyable to watch, and you give yourself a gamblers chance to win the trophy.  Going “all in” for a tiny % chance one year while reducing your chances the next year or multiple following years is a fools errand.   It’s not sexy, it’s pretty boring, but I applaud them for sticking to their guns and operating in a manner that will make Watching 162 games every year for the foreseeable future quite enjoyable.  

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Snell & Burnes, for me, were the only 2 true difference making SPs available this off-season.  Question is, at what cost do they come? And how does that effect how we operate moving forward?  If owners threw in a massive cash infusion and we could absorb the worst case scenario, give me Snell and I hold on to my prized prospects.  

Edited by emmett16

Just now, emmett16 said:

Right.  They win 101 games, with some luck, and all the sudden it’s WS or bust.  ME gets it, if you build a solid system that produces quality players year after year, the on field product is good, enjoyable to watch, and you give yourself a gamblers chance to win the trophy.  Going “all in” for a tiny % chance one year while reducing your chances the next year or multiple following years is a fools errand.   It’s not sexy, it’s pretty boring, but I applaud them for sticking to their guns and operating in a manner that will make Watching 162 games every year for the foreseeable future quite enjoyable.  

How is trading a reasonable package for Cease "going all in for a tiny % chance one year"?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is trading a reasonable package for Cease "going all in for a tiny % chance one year"?

You're in the wrong thread. This is a FA discussion.

Also, by all reports the White Sox are unwilling to accept a "reasonable package".

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I personally don’t think he’s a difference maker and he would cost a ton (reportedly) in prospects which would reduced our chances in the future.  

If reasonable is Ortiz or Norby as a headliner, sure, he’d be a good Gibson innings eater upgrade.  Having him start a playoff game would give me heartburn.  This is, of course, assuming he rights the ship and isnt truly a one year wonder.  I don’t see anything to indicate that his 2022 is repeatable. 

Edited by emmett16

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Fine …I don’t argue your point, but, we have a log jam right now. Ortiz and Norby need to be on a big league roster. We have have guys that need to be moved along if we are promoting  then Mateo and  Urias need to go. You could probably argue we need to think about clearing Mounty and O’Hearn to make room for Mayo, Kjerstad, etc at 1B.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Fine …I don’t argue your point, but, we have a log jam right now. Ortiz and Norby need to be on a big league roster. We have have guys that need to be moved along if we are promoting  then Mateo and  Urias need to go. You could probably argue we need to think about clearing Mounty and O’Hearn to make room for Mayo, Kjerstad, etc at 1B.

I won’t argue that either and am in agreement some pieces (mainly Mateo & Urias ) need to be moved.  There is also a lot to be said for high-end depth that pushes the people ahead of them and leaves no room for complacency.  Iron sharpens iron as they say.  I’d trade Urias, Mateo, Mountcastle, and O’Hearn in a heartbeat.  I also think we have enough depth, with even more talent in the low minors, that Ortiz & Norby could be moved.  Elias is in a fortunate position to where he can really do anything he wants….except spend big on FA 😂

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I personally don’t think he’s a difference maker and he would cost a ton (reportedly) in prospects which would reduced our chances in the future.  

If reasonable is Ortiz or Norby as a headliner, sure, he’d be a good Gibson innings eater upgrade.  Having him start a playoff game would give me heartburn.  This is, of course, assuming he rights the ship and isnt truly a one year wonder.  I don’t see anything to indicate that his 2022 is repeatable. 

He's also under control (at a very reasonable price) for two years.

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I won’t argue that either and am in agreement some pieces (mainly Mateo & Urias ) need to be moved.  There is also a lot to be said for high-end depth that pushes the people ahead of them and leaves no room for complacency.  Iron sharpens iron as they say.  I’d trade Urias, Mateo, Mountcastle, and O’Hearn in a heartbeat.  I also think we have enough depth, with even more talent in the low minors, that Ortiz & Norby could be moved.  Elias is in a fortunate position to where he can really do anything he wants….except spend big on FA 😂

Except doing nothing….BTW … I hate the Kimbrel signing. So imo we’ve done nothing.