Framber Valdez vs everyone else

Billy F-Face3

The Orioles are reportedly interested in trading for Framber Valdez from the Astros.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/orioles-reportedly-interested-in-world-series-winning-ace/ar-AA1lKEky

I approve of this 100%.  How many other pitchers still on the market would you rather get than Framber Valdez? He's a Left Handed, Top of the Rotation, World Series Champion, Ace pitcher. I would take him even over Corbin Burnes because he fits in perfectly what what our starting rotation needs. He checks all the boxes. He's got 2 years of team control and his salary is well within what Angelos has been willing to give to free agents.

I'm sure the trading might be expensive, but I also think we have enough valued prospects and the front office relationships between both Franchises to get it done. I also fully believe that he will be worth it.

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The cost in terms of prospects would be Astronomical.

No kidding. Houston would probably demand at least one (if not two) of Mayo, Holliday, and Basallo, plus at least a couple of others in our 5-10 range. I'd love to get FV, but not at what he'd likely cost us. 

He is 30 years old and has 2 more years left.  He was a super 2 guy, so he will make in the area of 30-33M the next years.

His statcast numbers are ehh. His xERA was well over 4. He doesn’t miss a lot of bats. His FIp was 3.50.

All of this to say that the Astros will likely want more for him than it will cost to get Cease and while I think Valdez has a higher floor, I think he has a lower ceiling.  

I would add him but I wouldn’t give up more for him than I would for Cease.

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

And yes, I'd take him over Blake Snell too.

Not me …

Well, he performed poorly in the post season ….his last 5 starts …. Didn’t go over 5.1 IP and only completed 5 twice …. He gave up 6, 3, 5, 4, and 3 over that span. Those performances were very Flaherty like. 

If it’s a free agent it’s Snell …. Trade Burnes and an extension. No reason not to spend now.