Ohtani and Kremer mentioned in the same breath

Frobby

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think it’s a continual work in progress.  I imagine it’s better today than it was in April. 

I wouldn't be shocked to find the actual program is pretty close to identical and they are just feeding more information into it.

I don't think he discarded what he did with the Astros and started fresh.

I also think they still have some talented folks over there.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't be shocked to find the actual program is pretty close to identical and they are just feeding more information into it.

I agree.  I guess what I meant was they are better at putting better and pertinent info into the system therefore reaping better results.  

No doubt the Astros are still on top of this stuff.  

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed.  Start with what you know works and adjust from there.

Measuring spin, biomechanics, release point, and things like that has gotten cheaper and more ubiquitous over the last 5 years.  Not leaps and bounds better (that I’m aware of).

But what they are measuring, better understanding of inputs vs. outputs, and the analysis itself has near definitely changed/improved.

Also, AI…. I wonder how that can be/is being used in the analysis.  We focus so much on the pitcher’s metrics (ride, movement, velo…) to anticipate how good they will be and the results of batted balls (HH%, EV…) but the “dance” between the hitter and pitcher relationship is life-like.  The brain crunches so much in a flash, can AI augment or help quantify that type of miracle of life?

Regarding the Astros:  They still have it and are improving.  But the recent GM decisions make me think their priorities have shifted at the macro level.  But that’s another thread.