UMD-UNC Thread...

Lucky Jim

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great win for Maryland.

They need to build on this though. Nobody's gonna care that they beat Carolina if they get knocked out of the NIT in the second round.

Whatever you want to say about Gary's recruiting, the guy can turn chicken **** into chicken salad on the court.

It's amazing how the Gary haters vanish after a win but hoot and holler after a loss. :rolleyes:

Still don't like Gary. Talk to me when he can get his team up for not only the UNCs but also the Morgan State's. And I don't think you were very visible after the Duke game.

I like the guys on the team. I love Vasquez's fire, Hayes' pure shooting ability, Gregory's hustle, DAVE NEAL's everything, Bowie's skillset and mentality, Tucker's offensive game...I just don't think the coach has assembled enough talent for them to be nearly as consistent as they should be. Win 3 of these last 4 and I'll give Gary my endorsement. Heck, maybe I'll even go to MD. Let's see if they can do it first though before we start the parade. This team has a tendency to get so up on themselves (Dino Gregory's already bragging about his #8 top play on his FB...now I know that's nitpicky and I'm not gonna make a serious deal out of it but let's see you put together two straight impactual games) that they suck it up against the teams they should beat. If they can get rid of that trend, maybe there will be a winning culture at MD again.

I'll give credit when credit is due. Gary is great at coaching up the team for a great game like today, but where was all the support when Duke or Clemson was beating our brains in? I'll say it again........ great win. But there's still always room to be discouraged everytime we see Dave Neal try to take Hansbrough on the court.

Neal actually isn't a bad matchup for Hansborough. Hansborough uses his upper body strength more than his hops/athleticism to dominate his opponents so Neal can do better against a guy like that than someone with more explosive athletic ability. It's the 6'9, 220 pound PF that Hansborough runs over.

Still don't like Gary. Talk to me when he can get his team up for not only the UNCs but also the Morgan State's. And I don't think you were very visible after the Duke game.

I like the guys on the team. I love Vasquez's fire, Hayes' pure shooting ability, Gregory's hustle, DAVE NEAL's everything, Bowie's skillset and mentality, Tucker's offensive game...I just don't think the coach has assembled enough talent for them to be nearly as consistent as they should be. Win 3 of these last 4 and I'll give Gary my endorsement. Heck, maybe I'll even go to MD. Let's see if they can do it first though before we start the parade. This team has a tendency to get so up on themselves (Dino Gregory's already bragging about his #8 top play on his FB...now I know that's nitpicky and I'm not gonna make a serious deal out of it but let's see you put together two straight impactual games) that they suck it up against the teams they should beat. If they can get rid of that trend, maybe there will be a winning culture at MD again.

I think most agree with you however, the point here is that his in game coaching ability ranks with the best in the game. There aren't many teams who can beat Duke and UNC year in and year out with less than thrilling players

I'll give credit when credit is due. Gary is great at coaching up the team for a great game like today, but where was all the support when Duke or Clemson was beating our brains in? I'll say it again........ great win. But there's still always room to be discouraged everytime we see Dave Neal try to take Hansbrough on the court.

The Duke game is one where you tip your hat because that can happen to ANY team at CIS.

The Clemson game I had no problem with. I thought they played their hearts out but got rolled by a hot team at the wrong time.

Did you see Hansbrough play yesterday? He did not over match any of our bigs, and most of the time we were able to go one on one with him.

Has Gary come and sat in your living room to recruit you? You know he doesn't do that for just anyone.:clap3:

It's amazing how the Gary haters vanish after a win but hoot and holler after a loss. :rolleyes:

I'll bite.

I, personally, have never said that Gary isn't a great coach, or that he's only considered a great coach because of Juan Dixon. All that is nonsense. He's a HOF coach, without a doubt.

He just needs to recruit better, so that a win over Carolina is merely satisfying, not a court-rushing achievement.

Is that fair? I think so.

It's equally amazing how all the Gary lovers come out after a win. One good win shouldn't hide 5 years of inept recruiting, should it?

The Terps got a lot of calls their way. UNC went through one of their funks where they can't score at all (like they did against KU and Gtown in tourney games). Tucker was absolutely on fire in the second half. GV had the game of his life. It was sort of like the perfect storm for the Terps.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good win...and they made big plays down the stretch when they needed to. But I don't think this win should erase the problems with the state of this program. If the Wizards beat the Spurs last night, would we be declaring them a reborn team who is suddenly headed in the right direction?

Now the Gary lovers can all bash me. :D

Maybe he should try coaching them up for Morgan St next time around.;)

This happens all the freaking time on this board. The Gary haters get called out whenever the team plays a good/great game.

Not only is it stupid to rake a guy across the coals after a good game but for every UNC win, there are two Morgan State/American U losses.

But thanks for changing the tenor of an otherwise great thread, DanielOs and BTerp!

Geesh, the day we can't just enjoy a win over UNC when they're arguably the best team in the country... and we still have to dwell on negatives... dudes...

I'll admit it...I'm a hopeless Gary hater and I can't hide it. I apologize for ruining your fun...

But they were askin' for it...:D

Archived