Potential Trade Partners

Greg Pappas

The Marlins, White Sox, and Mariners are among the teams most often linked to us in regards to trade partners, as each appears open to dealing quality starting pitching. Starters like Jesus Lazardo, Garrett Braxton, Dylan Cease, Logan Gilbert and Bryce Miller get mentioned a lot.  And, understandably, we have numerous thread discussing these options.  Then there are the Brewers and Guardians with starters Corbin Burnes and Shane Bieber rumored to be available.  Yet, they are FA's at the end of '24 and IMHO don't seem like the best options because of it.  However, there are other teams that could be matches. 

So, in your estimation, which teams, besides Seattle, Chicago WS, Miami, Milwaukee and Cleveland intrigue you as potential trade partners and why?  

Edited by Greg Pappas

Seattle - I doubt they deal another SP now that they've traded Ray. 

Milwaukee - The Hoskins signing would seem to indicate they're keeping Burnes, unless they fall out of contention, then they might revisit dealing him at the trade deadline. I don' think the rumors of them shopping Peralta were ever true. 

Cleveland - I know they've been rumored to be shopping Bieber, but I really don't think they can afford to trade him. I also think he's damaged goods. 

That leaves Chicago (White Sox), Florida, and Houston as the only teams that seem deep enough to me to trade a solid starting pitcher. Houston's my sleeper trade partner. The legitimately have eight SPs slotted in their rotation. Something's gotta give...

4 minutes ago, zweem said:

Still holding hope for the Tigers and Skubal. We can really help them accelerate their rebuild.

The Tigers are past the rebuilding stage (they contended last season) and there's zero chance they're trading Skubal after how great he looked when he came back from injury. 

5 minutes ago, zweem said:

Still holding hope for the Tigers and Skubal. We can really help them accelerate their rebuild.

The Tigers are closer to the playoffs than a rebuild in that division.  Skubal is an interesting name though. Although it would feel like we’d be chasing another Cole Irvin type. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Tigers are closer to the playoffs than a rebuild in that division.  Skubal is an interesting name though. Although it would feel like we’d be chasing another Cole Irvin type. 

Did you seriously just compare Skubal to Irvin? Dude, Skubal might be a dark horse Cy Young candidate this season. Like WTF!?!

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:34 PM, Greg Pappas said:

The Marlins, White Sox, and Mariners are among the teams most often linked to us in regards to trade partners, as each appears open to dealing quality starting pitching. Starters like Jesus Lazardo, Garrett Braxton, Dylan Cease, Logan Gilbert and Bryce Miller get mentioned a lot.  And, understandably, we have numerous thread discussing these options.  Then there are the Brewers and Guardians with starters Corbin Burnes and Shane Bieber rumored to be available.  Yet, they are FA's at the end of '24 and IMHO don't seem like the best options because of it.  However, there are other teams that could be matches. 

So, in your estimation, which teams, besides Seattle, Chicago WS, Miami, Milwaukee and Cleveland intrigue you as potential trade partners and why?  

Last year this poster retired from a job of 27 years but twice snuck away from work to witness afternoon starts by Corbin Burnes (in college) and Bryce Miller (High A):

https://portlandpilots.com/documents/2016/5/20//vs_SMC_Box1.pdf

https://www.milb.com/gameday/aquasox-vs-hops/2022/06/09/675059/final/box

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2024 at 7:32 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

Did you seriously just compare Skubal to Irvin? Dude, Skubal might be a dark horse Cy Young candidate this season. Like WTF!?!

If he stays healthy, Skubal will be in the race.

Detroit could be a contender this year.

• Upvote 1

How about trading with the Nationals for Kyle Finnegan or -- dare I say -- Hunter Harvey?  Seems like the O's will need more relief help and maybe sooner rather than later.  The main problem is then the Nats would have hardly much of a bullpen if they traded either of them -- plus the animosity between the two organizations.  And there's always a risk with someone like Hunter Harvey.