Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

7 minutes ago, csgordos said:

If you invest in the team, you can draw 2.5-3 million per year.  Add all the ancillary revenue and if they can develop the surrounding area.  Easily can spend to keep the team competitive and bring back the glory years of sustainable winning.  The “new Oriole way”.  🤞🙏

Haven't hit 3m in 23 years and that was when population of city was 20% higher. Last run we only topped out at 2.5m. That might be just where we are at these days with all the other factors that were not present in the heydays of the 90's. 

• Like 1

Great time to sell for the Angelos family, GREAT time for new ownership for the team and fans.   David Rubenstein, Baltimore guy, I'm sure he's thrilled, he seems like a real person.   I bet Elias and Sig are the happiest guys in the organization to have an extremely intellegent guy like him to work for.  John Angelos...is not on that level    

50 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Everyone double and triple checking this news like they might wake up and find out it was a dream.

Unless something completely off the rails happens before the ownership committee approves the Angelos reign over Orioles land really is coming to an end.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

I'm sure the Washington Post will have a full obituary that will answer that question to some degree.  Probably the Baltimore Banner too.  Not at all sure about the Sun these days.

It’s interesting you should say this. Tonight I canceled my online subscription to the Sun and started a trial subscription to the banner

40 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Haven't hit 3m in 23 years and that was when population of city was 20% higher. Last run we only topped out at 2.5m. That might be just where we are at these days with all the other factors that were not present in the heydays of the 90's. 

The Baltimore metro area as a whole as increased in size by about 200,000 since around 2000 and ticket prices are much higher.  The bigger issue is the future of TV revenue and the loss of fans from the DC area.  But the Baltimore/DC greater area as a whole is huge now -- the third largest in the country.  I think O's success will bring back a lot of fans from further south and attract many new ones too.

3 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

This news means a rare mid week bourbon night. Some of the good stuff. 🤣

Scotch for me. The news broke as the sun was setting at my place, so I went to the back yard, put down a lawn chair and savored all the goodness of the day and how it was sweetened with this news. 

oA7wwHV.jpeg

Edited by NashLumber
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Private equity always give me pause. They can be vultures. Hope they don’t run the team like they do their PE firms.

He's also a major philanthropist.  Fingers crossed he treats the O's more as a charity than a business.  Most owners are rich enough that they don't treat their sports teams as a true business -- which is helped by the fact that the value of these franchises has always gone up regardless.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

For sure.  It would make me want to pay more money.

I know when I'm giddy with excitement of a new purchase, sometimes I go overboard or splurge. You know, like springing for the undercoat. 

macy_fargo.jpg

Edited by NashLumber

2 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

Cal Jr onboard???

Yes. :)

15 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

The Baltimore metro area as a whole as increased in size by about 200,000 since around 2000 and ticket prices are much higher.  The bigger issue is the future of TV revenue and the loss of fans from the DC area.  But the Baltimore/DC greater area as a whole is huge now -- the third largest in the country.  I think O's success will bring back a lot of fans from further south and attract many new ones too.

Charlotte/North Carolina also provides the Orioles with a significant fan base and some revenue. The franchise can appreciate them now, because who knows how long until MLB might take that away via an expansion team.

Definitely a great day for Baltimore. I really do have to wonder if Peter Angelo's condition is maybe getting worse.

I think we're overthinking it though about payroll. They don't really need to go crazy in order to try and put the team in a best case scenario for a WS shot. I don't know anything about the new group, but I hope they are willing to give Elias the chance to finish this.