Let's dream a little bit and look into the future....

TradeAngelos

4 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

I obviously haven't followed this team closely recently, but know enough that basically all we are missing is TOR starters (plural). Could you just imagine this team as currently constructed, adding 2 pieces like that?? We would be unstoppable. Legit World Series threat for next 3-4 years easily. This team has so much young talent there is no reason we couldn't spend 50-60m on not one but two of them in the offseason. Maybe get one at the trade deadline if that opportunity presents itself. So what is next year's FA looking like in that regard? Are there even 2 that will be out there and available? I would buy season tickets INSTANTLY if this were to happen. Already planning on a package this season now. But is it even possible with what could be out there for the 2025 season? If not who are some trade targets? We have the money, and an owner who is probably going to be willing to spend it. That wouldn't even put the total payroll into the average, just below it so there is no excuse for the "we can't afford it" nonsense anymore. 

So you didn't pay much attention to the 2023 season, when the Orioles won 101 games? And now you are going to fly in with really obvious advice, which is to spend money on pitching? Who are you spending it on? How long of a contract are you going to give to a pitcher? Have you seen Kyle Bradish pitch? How about Grayson Rodriguez? What are your thoughts on Tyler Wells? Do you think DL Hall can be made into a starting pitcher? Oh wait you haven't watched so you'd have no idea. Cool. 

Still don't understand the people advocating for Snell. Dude is going to get ~30M a year at 31 years old and has averaged 124 IP per year. I'd be cooking in a durability bonus that kicks in if he pitches 170 innings, which he's done twice in his career. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Still don't understand the people advocating for Snell. Dude is going to get ~30M a year at 31 years old and has averaged 124 IP per year. I'd be cooking in a durability bonus that kicks in if he pitches 170 innings, which he's done twice in his career. 

He also seems like a d-bag. 

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Agree, no thanks.

I would entertain Montgomery but he seems destined to go back to the Rangers if they can move some money around. 

Thing is, plenty of teams have spent money in stupid or shortsighted ways that got them nowhere.   So I don’t want a “throw money at problems” approach.  Just spend intelligently when Elias feels it’s warranted.   That’s all I ask.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thing is, plenty of teams have spent money in stupid or shortsighted ways that got them nowhere.   So I don’t want a “throw money at problems” approach.  Just spend intelligently when Elias feels it’s warranted.   That’s all I ask.

100%.

It will be awhile before we get a feel for him as owner. I remember liking John early in the rebuild until he went full weirdo over the last couple years.

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

So you didn't pay much attention to the 2023 season, when the Orioles won 101 games? And now you are going to fly in with really obvious advice, which is to spend money on pitching? Who are you spending it on? How long of a contract are you going to give to a pitcher? Have you seen Kyle Bradish pitch? How about Grayson Rodriguez? What are your thoughts on Tyler Wells? Do you think DL Hall can be made into a starting pitcher? Oh wait you haven't watched so you'd have no idea. Cool. 

How did the postseason go? Did they win the World Series and I missed the parade? What did 101 wins do for them when the playoffs came around against better competition? What was their downfall? Do tell. 

What are YOU spending the money on? Or are we just going to toil around with the 29th payroll for the foreseeable future?

The 2023 was clearly flawed roster despite the regular season wins. So again, what is the plan to actually win something outside of participation trophies? Oh right Angelos has brainwashed you enough that you will never entertain a premium free agent again. You are stuck thinking.....but WHAT IF THE CONTRACT GOES BAD? We won't spend for another decade! Fear! Panic! We are sorry Angelos it won't happen again! Well guess what there is a new sheriff in town. You can calm down now.  We could actually sign players to get this team over the top! CRAZY thinking I know!

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

How did the postseason go? Did they win the World Series and I missed the parade? What did 101 wins do for them when the playoffs came around against better competition? What was their downfall? Do tell. 

What are YOU spending the money on? Or are we just going to toil around with the 29th payroll for the foreseeable future?

The 2023 was clearly flawed roster despite the regular season wins. So again, what is the plan to actually win something outside of participation trophies? Oh right Angelos has brainwashed you enough that you will never entertain a premium free agent again. You are stuck thinking.....but WHAT IF THE CONTRACT GOES BAD? We won't spend for another decade! Fear! Panic! We are sorry Angelos it won't happen again! Well guess what there is a new sheriff in town. You can calm down now.  We could actually sign players to get this team over the top! CRAZY thinking I know!

There is so much wrong with this post. The team that got hot won the World Series, you know, pretty much like every other year. Getting into the tournament is what is important, then the dice get rolled.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

And Cease >>> Kremer, Means, Irvin and Wells. Just because we have a better pitcher doesn't mean we should just not try

Im fine with getting Cease for the right price. I just don’t see him as a TOR pitcher. I’m not even sure he’s better than Means. 

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

There is so much wrong with this post. The team that got hot won the World Series, you know, pretty much like every other year. Getting into the tournament is what is important, then the dice get rolled.

So you are cool with the 29th payroll and you think that is gonna take them to the promised land? 

You know how Texas "got hot" THEY SPENT ALMOST 200M ON PAYROLL. Bet that warmed the seat up for them a little bit you think? 

You people are truly delusional. You are actually arguing with me to NOT make the team better! No DON'T you dare spend any money! No no no! Didn't you see how the 200m payroll just "got hot"? All you have to do is get in!! Even the other team that didn't win had DOUBLE the payroll of the Orioles. What a coincidence! 

Never seen such a complete losers mentality. Look at this guy wanting to sign some great reliable pitchers!! Who does he think he is!

• Downvote 2

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Given the new ownership and where the team core currently sits, I think this position (which I previously held) is now potentially too cautious, once the resources are actually available. No one is advocating for a Tejada like signing to supplement a bad team. But I’m absolutely eyeing up the 2025 SP market and even allowing myself to speculate on an unlikely attempt at Montgomery if the sale process will allow for it this offseason. Same with trading for someone like Cease too now that Elias shouldn’t have to completely rely on our current prospects 3+ years down the road.

If they are financially able to compete in new, more established player markets, they should do so. Rangers are honestly a pretty good example.

36 minutes ago, Malike said:

May have gotten lost in the emotion but his overall point is valid: we should be trying to improve the team, either through trades or signing FAs. We're not signing Snell though, obviously. If he thinks new ownership means we're going to go out and give out a bunch of stupid contracts to the game's best players then he's setting himself up for disappointment. 

55 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

So you are cool with the 29th payroll and you think that is gonna take them to the promised land? 

You know how Texas "got hot" THEY SPENT ALMOST 200M ON PAYROLL. Bet that warmed the seat up for them a little bit you think? 

You people are truly delusional. You are actually arguing with me to NOT make the team better! No DON'T you dare spend any money! No no no! Didn't you see how the 200m payroll just "got hot"? All you have to do is get in!! Even the other team that didn't win had DOUBLE the payroll of the Orioles. What a coincidence! 

Never seen such a complete losers mentality. Look at this guy wanting to sign some great reliable pitchers!! Who does he think he is!

If only we had Scherzer and DeGrom, maybe we could have gotten hot.