Roch has not posted today at 8 pm

wildcard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

@Tony-OHreported that Roch contacted him one time to complain about something I’d said about Roch and he asked Tony to delete my comment, then got all huffy when Tony wouldn’t do it.  I don’t think I ever even knew what comment I made about Roch that set him off.  Overall, I feel like I’ve given Roch plenty of credit when it was due over the years, and have never been a big critic of his.   I even started a thread where I used to post some of his funnier lines (I can’t find it right now).   But, something I said rubbed him the wrong way.  I’m not losing any sleep over it.  I read his blog most days and I’m happy to have it.   I just think there are many other people who could do his job well if he were to leave.  

Wait what?? This actually happened?  You, of all people, pissed off Roch to the point where he called Tony?  How long ago was this?

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. I have a few points to make...

1. Journalism is dead or dying. If you're not at the top, you're struggling to get by. You need to get and keep a job. Roch did that.

2. Since it's a dying industry, it helps to have some kind of schtick. The streak was Roch's schtick. Not terribly important from a content perspective, but smart from an outsider's perspective. I'm sorry he ended it.

3. I don't get how people here spew hate at Angelos AND Roch. Roch was clearly not allowed to be an actual journalist. He did his job in light of how MASN has been run by the terribly thin-skinned Angelos family for years.

I'm not saying Roch's a great reporter or a perfect human, but I do remember him from a long time ago. He has actual personality and can actually write and report. But he got stuck in a tough profession and a tougher organization. I don't hate him for that. He also seems like a good family man, which I respect. I hope he can thrive under better management.

fin

Roch is good people who gets an extremely bad rap by the fans. I have met him several times and had multiple back and forths through emails.  

I hope he stays.  Just as I was glad to see him and the announcers get to enjoy 2012-2016, as they got to cover an actual baseball team, I want him to be able to work for an adult now. 

He deserves it. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wait what?? This actually happened?  You, of all people, pissed off Roch to the point where he called Tony?  How long ago was this?

I don’t remember exactly when, but I’d say 5-10 years ago.  I doubt I said anything worse than what I’ve said in this thread, but I don’t really even know what comment I made that set Roch off.  I only knew about it because @Tony-OHmentioned it some time after it happened.  I was pretty surprised.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t remember exactly when, but I’d say 5-10 years ago.  I doubt I said anything worse than what I’ve said in this thread, but I don’t really even know what comment I made that set Roch off.  I only knew about it because @Tony-OHmentioned it some time after it happened.  I was pretty surprised.  

That’s really hilarious. Can’t imagine you of all people pissing someone off that much.  You must have not had your coffee that day! 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s really hilarious. Can’t imagine you of all people pissing someone off that much.  You must have not had your coffee that day! 

Honestly I think Roch has a bit of a hair trigger, judging from some responses I’ve seen to people who post comments on his blog.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly I think Roch has a bit of a hair trigger, judging from some responses I’ve seen to people who post comments on his blog.  

Oh, 100%. He can be pretty sensitive and huffy at any criticism. Doesn't make him a bad dude or anything, but that's always been the case over the years. 

The wife rode the bus with Roch in high school going to after school athletics. Says he is a great guy.  So I will support him.  

And he seems to have a similar snarky attitude that I do as well.  

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

The wife rode the bus with Roch in high school going to after school athletics. Says he is a great guy.  So I will support him.  

And he seems to have a similar snarky attitude that I do as well.  

You said you heard from Roch, himself.   You never expanded or explained how that occurred?   

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't remember most of what my wife tells me, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna forget a minor tiff between you and Roch from 5-10 years ago!

Edited by Mooreisbetter27
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Roch was certainly not happy about something Frobby posted here and called me while I was in Costco and "explained" that he was not happy. At the end of the day, he didn't talk to me for like 8-10 years until I ran into him at a bar and we basically put it behind us I guess. 

I think Roch takes a lot of unnecessary heat for his blog. He worked for a very difficult boss and saw what the Angelos' did to people they consider "not loyal." The man had/has a good gig for a local guy who got to cover his favorite team for a long time. 

Was it his fault that they kept Steve Melweski around and then never dictated roles between them which meant Melewski would blur into Orioles major league coverage too? Melewski always did a good job with his minor league coverage, but had they just set clear roles and responsibilities it probably would have been more seamless coverage. But that's not how any of that worked. 

So sometimes Melewski beat him to the news and he had to write about something, so we the readers ended up getting some fluff at times. 

Roch is certainly not a bad guy overall. Hopefully the new owners of MASN will keep him around.

Roch seems like a generally good guy, but to get that upset about something one of the most level-headed OH members wrote about him seems absolutely nuts to me. If you want to be in front of the public and an on air talent then you have to be able to take some negativity / criticism. It comes with the territory. And this whole "I need to take a vacation" thing also seems a bit weird to me. Like it's some sort of passive aggressive temper tantrum about the change in ownership and him not being "informed" before the story leaked. Who knows though. Either way I would never root for someone to lose their job so I hope things work out for him. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

And this whole "I need to take a vacation" thing also seems a bit weird to me. Like it's some sort of passive aggressive temper tantrum about the change in ownership and him not being "informed" before the story leaked. Who knows though. Either way I would never root for someone to lose their job so I hope things work out for him. 

Maybe, or maybe he really does need to take a vacation before the upcoming season and with all the change, just decided, "Why not?"

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I can imagine he is quite sensitive to claims that he is a captured journalist doing the bidding of the owner of the team.