Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think there is a fair chance he could average 3 wins a year over the next 4-5 seasons.

Which of Henderson, Westburg or Holliday would he beat over that time frame?  I hope Ortiz kills it, but that's not where my focus is going to be.  IMO it's hard find fault with this trade in the context of when it was made.

38 minutes ago, waroriole said:

No it wouldn’t. Maybe Holliday dazzles everyone in spring, but I still see no scenario where keeping Holliday in Norfolk for three weeks, at least, isn’t the preferred option. 

Why would we want to keep him in Norfolk for 3 weeks? What does that accomplish? … Btw, he has already dazzled climbing 4 levels in one season and being the #1 prospect in the game.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Then why would locking him into a probably very pricey extension make you feel better about it?

I love having his talent here, but I want him here for a long time. I get that everyone here sees it differently. It’s just a lot of risk for a one year contract.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I remember fantasizing last off-season about the Orioles trading for Corbin Burnes. In those discussions, someone mentioned that we might have a Corbin Burnes type pitcher already on the Orioles in Kyle Bradish. The point made was that they are similar styles of pitcher with their nasty sliders.

If that is the case, then it might be wise to separate them in the rotation rather than allow opponents to adapt to hitting them from seeing similar stuff.

And now that we've had to give up DL Hall, we need another LHP or 2. Our pitching staff is lacking in the left handed department, and we've seen how effective good Left Handed Pitchers can be at Camden Yards from watching Montgomery, Bruce Bochey, and the Rangers dismantle our lineup in the playoffs. Time to make the corrections and win it all!

Don't forget we hit Jordan Montgomery around while they were hitting Grayson around worse!

I don't know if it was me in that other thread but during Bradish's breakout, I thought Burnes with the great slider was kind of the best in class of the $500k NCAA pitcher form.

I charted recently the four best pitchers on a rolling 4-year basis hoping to watch Bradish and/or Grayson contend for that kind of distinction before the end of Adley, and tonight we got one of the guys on Present Mount Rushmore.

Like seeing the Club buy quality, not quantity.     Another data point suggesting Sigbot loves short-term pitcher commitments.     Thrilled by this news, hope there's a followup, but don't think Sigbot is in any kind of hurry for 5-7 year commitments on any pitcher, including Burnes.

When Stearns released the Kraken in Milwaukee, the Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich moves were stacked.    I think Baltimore can do what Milwaukee can before even factoring in Rubenstein inaugurating an era we can do more than Attanasio/Stearns ever could.     I've wondered after Move 1 whether a Move 2 would soon follow.

Kudos to Mike Elias for not just knowing the acquisition cost of one of the world's best pitchers, as has been his basic duty for some time, but also paying it.     Yesterday Orioles SP5 to Corbin Burnes has some of the flair of "2023 Yankees LF's" to Juan Soto for a 1-year term.

2 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Love how quick we are to make a deal once new ownership was announced. Is it safe to say we have liftoff now? 

No way to know, but really curious about the connection or not-connection to the ownership deal being announced..... would this have happened otherwise? 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think there is a fair chance he could average 3 wins a year over the next 4-5 seasons.

Agreed. Everyone thinks Hall is underrated but I honestly believe Ortiz is going to have a nice career and be a real pesky at bat.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Which of Henderson, Westburg or Holliday would he beat over that time frame?  I hope Ortiz kills it, but that's not where my focus is going to be.  IMO it's hard find fault with this trade in the context of when it was made.

I don't think he's finding fault with the trade, just saying that Ortiz has a good chance to be a good player for MIL. He had no spot here to speak of.

I know some are worried about the loss of Hall and the pen being a bit weak but we just turned a questionable number 5 starter into an ace in the rotation.  If they stay healthy we have 3 horses that will give you 6+ innings almost every start if healthy.  You don’t need a super deep pen if you have 3 great starters that consistently go deep in games.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Malike said:

I hope he kills it, I really do. He and Ortiz both. I'm very glad they are getting a shot.

Next step for Joey is Willy Adames following Burnes out of town as I think tonight we got our answer if Milwaukee is in for 2024.

5 years out we'll see if Joey Ortiz is 2nd to Jackson Chourio on the Club in 2024-2028 WAR.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I know some are worried about the loss of Hall and the pen being a bit weak but we just turned a questionable number 5 starter into an ace in the rotation.  If they stay healthy we have 3 horses that will give you 6+ innings almost every start if healthy.  You don’t need a super deep pen if you have 3 great starters that consistently go deep in games.  

I thought Hall had a real chance at being a strong pitcher out the bullpen, but you can't turn down a deal like the one Elias secured for Burnes. Hall still hasn't put in a full season of being a reliable pitcher and has had frequent arm trouble.

The whirlwind of the last couple of days has my head spinning as if the Strat-o-Matic set just arrived from UPS when I was 16.

Perfect storm of Elias not having any budget and employing a tanking strategy that pays off just has he's about ready to be handed a proper budget? Oh hell yes. (Allegedly)

Now, sign Montgomery or Snell, and trade Kremer and Cowser for Cease, damn it.

Sorry, my baseball boner has drained blood from my brain.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea BUT you need to get a real reliever now.

I can live with Wells in the bullpen. See who's available at the deadline. 

Kimbrel Cano Wells Cionel Coulombe is a solid core group. Some combination of Irvin, Tate, Baumann, Baker, and Webb for the other spots. Losing Wells hurts but we don't be needing the pen as much now that we added a legit ace to the rotation.