Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

13 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I am using the player follow feature on the At Bat app to follow Hall and Ortiz. I like the trade but I also liked both of those players and am sorry to see them go. 

Awesome!  Keep us apprised on the “Former Orioles” thread if you can.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And Ortiz has a 1.667 OPS so far. Can we send Burnes back? 

While I know this is a jest, I was one of Ortiz biggest fans and I think he was criminally undervalued.  I expect him to be a VERY good MLB player for a long time.  Wish we'd gotten to see more of him last year.  I get why we traded him, and I'm not saying it was a bad deal or anything like that.  We needed Burnes and to only give up Ortiz and Hall was a great trade.  I just hope that the guys we kept over him, mainly Westburg/Holliday I suppose, end up being at least as good or better than Ortiz long term.  

As an Orioles fan, I am hoping Corbin Burnes demonstrates himself to be every bit Gerrit Cole's equal, superior even at this point in their careers, and accordingly positions himself to command hundreds, plural, of millions of dollars for his rare and scarce talents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At what point do we start to get a little nervous?  We are about 2 weeks from opening day and our top pitching signees both have ERAs in the 9s through the spring and are getting shelled.   Anything to worry about here?

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

At what point do we start to get a little nervous?  We are about 2 weeks from opening day and our top pitching signees both have ERAs in the 9s through the spring and are getting shelled.   Anything to worry about here?

Spring Training and he's a Vet. No issue.

Was at the game. The wind was blowing out pretty hard when the 2 homers were given up. Box score says 5mph L to R but it was stronger at certain points and several balls, including the homers, seemed to travel more than they might have otherwise. 

51 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Our spring record is 17-5 how worried can be honestly. 

Burnes will be fine. Roy Halladay was notorious for having spring ERAs in the double digits. These games don’t count. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If all you ever do is Buy Low and Sell High, transactions mostly won't seem that exciting the moment they occur. That said, Corbin Burnes was not in the spirit of that "always be arbitraging" and gives me some encouragement at the end of the day Elias will pay sticker price for the good stuff. This is like when you have to pretend to not be interested in the used car you are trying to get a deal on.
    • Montas is at least another pure rental option on the market. I don’t think they’ll do Flaherty, and there’s the in-division hurdle for Kikuchi, and there wasn’t anybody else after them. The 1.5 year pitchers will be much more expensive and other than Fedde their teams may not even be motivated to deal them. Montas is clearly not the pitcher he once was, and his results this year have been bad, but he’s been healthy all season and his pitch modeling is decent. He’s bounced back closer to his pre-injury form in Stuff+ and Pitching Bot. He’s also on a pretty sizable salary and won’t get a QO, so he should be cheap. Decent chance he pitches better in the second half as he gets further removed from the injuries. Definitely not Option A or even Option B, but better than nothing as Option C. 
    • Adrian Beltre HoF weekend, I heard an anecdote during the BOS-LAD series about Rafael Devers and a specific encouragement given to him was to look at all the errors Beltre made early in his career. Mayo is about 22.6 today, and Devers is about 27.8 today, and the anecdote ran how Devers has gradually become "less bad" at errors because his bat has been special enough to keep building his life mastery of baseball 3B defense year in year out the past half decade. The trickier short term question for the Orioles is can you trust him there at all in October 2024?     I think the image Elias used describing that with Holliday as a new 2B defender went like, can you trust them in a night game at Yankee Stadium? Devers goes past 4000 PA in a couple more games, it seems like he should be more than 5.2  years older than Mayo.
    • Maybe they could get 2 starters and eventually put him in the pen. I still think Luzardo is very much in play for the Os. I could see a scenario where they get a guy like Martinez to start for a while.  Luzardo isn’t back until mid to the end of August. Eventually he gets the rotation spot and Martinez ends up in the pen.
    • Kikuchi, Tommy Pham, and a non closer reliever.  That’s not splashy, but it fills our needs. Expecting anything more is just going to lead to disappointment. 
    • BR is full of poop. I wouldn’t sign him to any contract, so yes I think that’s big money. But he’s going to get more than that if he gets 40+ homers. (Or at least his AAV is going to be higher)
    • I do think it is possible all three stay in off-season lists.     Basically right now the 2023 action I think of previewing 2024 actions with Holliday-Mayo is the one where in September you knew Kjerstad not Cowser was going to get the sip of coffee because Cowser already had 43 days of service time during July-August.     So Cowser got to be the one to anchor Norfolk's championship run and make memories in Las Vegas. Trade deadline down to 8 days.
  • Popular Contributors