If there's one more big move to be made this offseason, what do you want it to be?

Gofannon

If there's one more big move to be made this offseason, what do you want it to be?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. If there's one more big move to be made this offseason, what do you want it to be?

• Extend a young position player or two (Adley, Gunnar, Holliday)
    • Trade prospects, adding Dylan Cease/a different starting pitcher
    • Sign either Snell or Montgomery for the rotation
    • Give a significant extension to Burnes
    • Extend Mike Elias
    • Other (please specify)

I voted for extending a young player. But second to that for me would be adding another bullpen arm. We're counting on Tate returning to 2022 form after missing a season which is a gamble. Even assuming he's at least close to his 2022 form, the pen has Kimbrel, Cano, Tate and Wells from the right side with Perez, Coulombe, and probably Irvin from the left. That leaves an opening. Perhaps Webb or Baumann take the spot. Or one of the guys with an option like Akin, Baker, Vespi, Zimmermann, Suarez and Heasley. 

That said, I would love it if we added one more arm in the pen though the free agent market is a bit picked over. 

• Upvote 1

I would hate to have to choose one from your list. I would like the Orioles to choose all but number #3. And I think that they are all doable throughout the course of this season (if Burnes wants to extend). 

1) Burnes is the best pitcher that we could have added and is a true #1. The kind of guy I always wanted/wished for all last season. A guy who can go toe-to-toe against any ace in the game. IMO that is important going forward. And I would jump all over extending him (even if 6/7 years). Our new owners have the kind of money to do these type of contracts where the bak end may not work out so great and still have our franchise be okay. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between the capital that the franchise now has moving forward and what we had when we signed Chris Davis. To be frank, (before they sold the team) the entire Angelos family COMBINED did not have nearly the capital to even come close to being able to afford buying a baseball team in the 21st century. They may have been billionaires in terms of net-worth but they had nowhere near the capital to sustain the payroll that we have now. Look at the networth of our 2 primary owners (not including Bloomberg's 17+ billion dollar nest worth) vis-a-vis the Angelos's.

2) I would love to upgrade Kremer's spot in the rotation with a guy like Cease (if possible). We still have the prospect surplus to add a guy like Cease for a package that would include one of Mayo/Kerjstad + Norby + McDermott/Povich + (maybe) Beavers/Fabian. We would still be able to retain 4 out of our top 5 prospects including the two untouchables.

3) It's a no brainer to extend as many of your young stars/franchise cornerstone pieces as possible.

4) It's a no brainer to extend Elias and Sig as soon as possible because they are the brains behind this well oiled machine. And they are what keeps this thing running long term.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

As much as I’d like to see Henderson extended, the easily most important thing this franchise needs is to keep Mike Elias around.  That choice, IMO, was a no brainer.

It would be nice to know how long he's here for. Maybe the new owner will be less weird about divulging details like that. We don't even know how long Hyde is here for. 

I specified "Other" because I think more than one of these things can/should happen.  Personally, I'd love to see them sign Montgomery AND make a deal for an outfielder and bullpen arm.  There's also no reason why they can't pursue extensions for some of the young guys as well.

Edited by clapdiddy

I'm not interested in signing Snell or Montgomery, and I'm not trading any of our top prospects for another starting pitcher at this point.

I had a hard time deciding between extensions for our young guys or extensions for Elias.  I think I'd lock up Elias first.  If only one thing happens before the season starts, I want to know that the leadership that has been so successful these past few years is here to stay.  I think if we lock Elias up long-term, he will do those long-term extensions soon now that supportive ownership is in place.

I voted #1, but in truth the thing I want to see most right now is Elias pulling a legit setup man out of his hat. Where that would come from, I have no idea. Maybe we wait until the deadline for that, but yeah. Give me a top tier relief arm. 

If the Brewers are holding a fire sale as is reported by several outlets, I hope the O's can target Devin Williams. He was the NL reliever of the year in 2023. He is owed $7M for 2024 and has a club option at $10.5 M for 2025. He makes the bullpen much better and he is not likely to be anymore expensive than Burnes, IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

If the Brewers are holding a fire sale as is reported by several outlets, I hope the O's can target Devin Williams. He was the NL reliever of the year in 2023. He is owed $7M for 2024 and has a club option at $10.5 M for 2025. He makes the bullpen much better and he is not likely to be anymore expensive than Burnes, IMHO. 

Why wasn’t he just included in a built-out version of the Burnes deal then?