How’s the East look now?

HowAboutThat

I've been banging this drum for a while now, but here goes again:

The Rays will finish in fourth place in 2024 and miss the postseason.

I think it's going to be a dogfight all year between New York and Baltimore. I think Toronto will hang around for most of the season and then settle into third place and possibly the last wild-card spot.

I think Boston will finish last. I think most Boston fans would agree, too.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Glad to see you back! 

I don't believe Baltimore will be guaranteed anything in '24, but they certainly have one of the most complete teams in the East. It would be nice to see an under the radar BP piece before opening day.

I have hope, since Akin, Zimmerman and Tate had injuries last year that they are healthy this year that could be the jump we really need this year. I can hope McDermott can be the DL Hall comparison and possible closer sometimes. I can hope Means is pre TJ surgery healthy and Irvin can pitch like he did in Oakland and our top 3 starters pitch like last year. I hope Holliday can be a star right away.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Last posted in 2019, last visited 8/1/22.  Redskins Rick last posted 6/24/22 and last visited 12/29/22.   Both those guys had health issues.   So, I worry what happened to them.  Neither had an incident on the board that would have caused them to suddenly quit, so far as I know.  

I still have health issues but I backed away because I was living online and needed a reset. I have to ration my time carefully but I’ll be here from time to time. I did maintain my membership, though. Tony needs the support.

Jonah Heim…. Ever think where were be if we’d kept him? He’s turned into maybe a top-2 catcher.

• Thanks 1

As usual in recent years the Yankees may boom/bust depending on health. They do not have nearly the depth of the O's, but they have the best star power in the league aside from LAD. Judge/Soto/Cole is there with Betts/Freeman/Ohtani as the best "big 3"s in MLB. Signing Snell/Montgomery would certainly be big for them but I also wonder if they will sit on that $ to try to retain Soto, or even go after Burnes next winter. 

2 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

I've been banging this drum for a while now, but here goes again:

The Rays will finish in fourth place in 2024 and miss the postseason.

I think it's going to be a dogfight all year between New York and Baltimore. I think Toronto will hang around for most of the season and then settle into third place and possibly the last wild-card spot.

I think Boston will finish last. I think most Boston fans would agree, too.

Not to get too full of ourselves, but a lot did go right for us last year, and we outperformed all expectations, including how we fared in wins/losses with out record in 1-run games, as well as our not so amazing run differential.

I as much of a fan as anyone on here, but the Orioles need to prove that last year was not a fluke.....and that last week of 2023 and the playoff performance were just aberrations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

I have hope, since Akin, Zimmerman and Tate had injuries last year that they are healthy this year that could be the jump we really need this year. I can hope McDermott can be the DL Hall comparison and possible closer sometimes. I can hope Means is pre TJ surgery healthy and Irvin can pitch like he did in Oakland and our top 3 starters pitch like last year. I hope Holliday can be a star right away.

That's a lot of hope 🙂

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

These Pecota folks clearly need some orange colored lenses.  But to be serious, this could very well be our reality.....although, I feel like that is very generous for the Yankees, and assumes they have some really good pitching from their guys this year.  I wonder how this changes if they pick up Snell or Montgomery.  I wonder how ours changed when Burnes was acquired.

• Upvote 1

Not sure what to think as long as Monty and Snell are out there and the Yankees could land either one or both.

We've got as good of a shot as anyone.  I could see where people think we're the favorites, especially coming off last year. 

Ultimately, I think it's between us and the Yankees to the end of the season.  The Jays always disappoint, especially with that pinecone manager of theirs.  The Red Sox are average.

The Rays are, IMO, a wild card.  I can see them anywhere between 1st and 4th.  They traded Glasnow, Franco is done...and yet, they just continue to churn out talent like it's no problem.  They're always good...and even if they don't place first or second this year, you have to respect them.  They will be tough.

• Upvote 1

PECOTA is making a big bet on the Yankees’ offense bouncing back.  If they stay healthy, there’s a good chance it will.  They had a 113 OPS+ in 2022, 91 in 2023.   

Judge had two DL stints totaling 52 games last year, and the Yankees averaged 3.81 runs per game in those games.  The rest of the time, they averaged 4.32 runs/gsme.  So Judge’s absence was a huge factor for them.  Add Soto to the mix with a healthy Judge and that’s a really potent lineup.  

Here’s a reminder of the Yankees’ games lost to injuries last year, as previously compiled by me: 1,835 games lost to injury (521 for position players, 600 for starting pitchers, 714 for relievers)

Position players: Bader 46, Trevino 78, Rortvedt 38, Donaldson 91, Stanton 43, Judge 49, Peraza 13, Bauers 12, Allen 40, Rizzo 54, McKinney 38, Dominguez 19 = 521

Starters: Gil 162, Rodon 111, Montas 160, Severino 69, Cortes 98 = 600

Relievers: Trivino 162, Kahnle 77, Leffross 162, Loaisiga 113, Weber 103, Hamilton 28, Middleton 23, Abreu 21, Misiewicz 13, Peralta 12 = 714

By comparison, the Orioles lost 758 games to injury.