All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

I love depth and all, but a package of Kjerstad, Norby, and Stowers, all of who are blocked, would be really nice for a SP. 

Does Kjerstad even have a spot next year?  Mountcastle will still be here. We have a team option on O’Hearn. Cowser is already in the mix and a better defender than Kjerstad. Basallo and Beavers will be in the mix next year. Plus Hays, Mullins, and EBJ.  

We have some ammo for the trade deadline. We just gotta get there. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I hope Hyde has seen enough this spring to realize that Stowers can hit lefties.   He’s always avoided using Stowers against LHP whenever Stowers was on the roster, despite solid lefty splits in the minors.  

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hope Hyde has seen enough this spring to realize that Stowers can hit lefties.   He’s always avoided using Stowers against LHP whenever Stowers was on the roster, despite solid lefty splits in the minors.  

Is it Hyde or FO analytics making that decision?  IIRC, there was an interview over the winter (Eve?) which basically said that analytics gives Hyde the daily starting lineups.

I agree that very encouraging that Stowers is showing that he is capable of handling LHPs this spring.  

4 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Is it Hyde or FO analytics making that decision?  IIRC, there was an interview over the winter (Eve?) which basically said that analytics gives Hyde the daily starting lineups.

I agree that very encouraging that Stowers is showing that he is capable of handling LHPs this spring.  

Are there sources for Hyde getting the daily line-up handed to him? I imagined a briefing or a pre-game from the FO and then he sets his line-up.

I've read and heard conflicting stuff on who makes the lineup and how much input various folks have on it.   Whoever it is is sometimes too over reliant on lefty/righty matchups IMO.  Yes,  those with real splits may need platooned and the like,  but not ALL guys suffer with that problem.  Seems at times though our decision makers act like all struggle with it,  even though actual numbers say otherwise.   It's a weird dynamic for an organization that otherwise seems very 'by the numbers'.

• Upvote 1