Emanuel Clase as a potential target

emmett16

MLB Network radio guys suggested the O's match up well with Cleveland for an Emanuel Clase trade.  Looks like he had a pretty decent year last year and really good years in 2022 & 2021.  His k/9 #s dropped off from previous years and his h/9 #s increased a bit.  The statcast numbers look pretty good.  He has a live arm and doesn't walk a lot of people.  He's a two-pitch pitcher (cutter & slider) I wonder with a slight change in approach or another pitch to play off his two similar pitches could unlock some more Ks.  What are your thoughts?  What would it take to land him?  

Emmanuel Clase Stats: Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com)

Emmanuel Clase Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

It would take a lot. At least one very high end prospect and a couple further down the list. He's under control for a long time and very cheap.

'24=2.5M 

'25=4.5M

'26=6M

'27=10M(team option)

'28= 10M(team option)

'27 and '28 both have 2M buyouts

Fantastic pitcher.

I don't believe Elias would chase because a Clase acquisition would move a goal post on Craig Kimbrel.

It is boring for fandom, but I believe there is a little real world value when Elias pleads discretion in his dealings with agents and clubs.    I think some of his successful Kimbrel recruitment was the angle he could collect Saves to polish his Hall credentials when everyone (including Andrew Friedman 2 years ago) knows he isn't exactly someone capable of crushing October anymore.    He's Goldilocks for our Felix bridge year.

Maybe if Cleveland granted a window for Elias to confirm Clase wouldn't mind setting up for a pitcher he's better than, but that'd be a big ego check ask, plus the Braves and Dodgers can offer Clase the Saves Elias offered Kimbrel.

I think the very best teams bid reasonably strongly if Cleveland isn't just goofing around trying to see if somebody will get silly, and the minute the Guardians peel Clase off their next few rosters is the same minute I hope Jose Ramirez is telling his agent to tell the GM he needs to be traded to Baltimore!

• Upvote 3

Fangraphs published a in depth analysis on Clase a few weeks ago. Apparently he also had trouble adjusting the pitch clock last season so maybe part of his struggles can be attributed to that as well. Either way I think he's way too expensive and we don't need to overpay for another closer with Kimbrel filling in this season and Bautista taking over the reigns again next season. We just need to pay for saves, we just need another solid RP (ideally). 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-concatenated-case-of-emmanuel-clase/

• Thanks 1

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Fangraphs published a in depth analysis on Clase a few weeks ago. Apparently he also had trouble adjusting the pitch clock last season so maybe part of his struggles can be attributed to that as well. Either way I think he's way too expensive and we don't need to overpay for another closer with Kimbrel filling in this season and Bautista taking over the reigns again next season. We just need to pay for saves, we just need another solid RP (ideally). 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-concatenated-case-of-emmanuel-clase/

Whoops. That should have read we *don't* need to to pay for saves...

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Missed bats and Ks have really dropped…why?

I would be worried about that.

I thought it was kind of odd his pitch mix is cutter and slider.  I saw that as well and wondered what might be driving the dip in missed bats.  Looks the contact he gives up is consistently very week.  He doesn't walk a lot, so it might help him to throw out of the zone a tough more as well.  

We were 35-18 in one run games last year and Bautista was a huge part of that. Definitely in extra innings. Maybe the offense is better this year and we win by bigger margins. Clase would be a luxury. I don’t think saves would be an issue because Bautista is the closer when he returns. Also, Clase is locked up long term. 

This would be a hefty price. Probably similar to what we were expecting for Cease. Cowser/Kjerstad, Norby, +. I have no idea though. 

12 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Fantastic pitcher.

I don't believe Elias would chase because a Clase acquisition would move a goal post on Craig Kimbrel.

It is boring for fandom, but I believe there is a little real world value when Elias pleads discretion in his dealings with agents and clubs.    I think some of his successful Kimbrel recruitment was the angle he could collect Saves to polish his Hall credentials when everyone (including Andrew Friedman 2 years ago) knows he isn't exactly someone capable of crushing October anymore.    He's Goldilocks for our Felix bridge year.

Maybe if Cleveland granted a window for Elias to confirm Clase wouldn't mind setting up for a pitcher he's better than, but that'd be a big ego check ask, plus the Braves and Dodgers can offer Clase the Saves Elias offered Kimbrel.

I think the very best teams bid reasonably strongly if Cleveland isn't just goofing around trying to see if somebody will get silly, and the minute the Guardians peel Clase off their next few rosters is the same minute I hope Jose Ramirez is telling his agent to tell the GM he needs to be traded to Baltimore!

I mentioned it in another thread, but I think Ramirez would be a great fit here.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I mentioned it in another thread, but I think Ramirez would be a great fit here.

You do? With Henderson, Holliday and Westburg plugged in at 3B, SS, and 2B for the foreseeable future how and where exactly do you see Jose Ramirez fitting in with this team position wise? He's also 31 and his numbers have been on a steady decline for the last two seasons. I also find it interesting that in a year where just about everyone saw a spike in their SBs  due to the new rule changes Ramirez did not. It makes me think that not only is his bat slowing down, but his legs as well. Dont get me wrong I love Ramirez's fire and passion, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around why this team would want to trade for an aging third baseman who's skills are obviously declining. 

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Long history of Cleveland giving up on guys when they appeared on the downside and it turned out they were right.   Cleveland knows pitching. 

You absolutely nailed it. As soon as I saw Clase's name leaked as "maybe" being available that's immediately where my mind went. It's almost like MLB GMs need a CarFax equivalent for Cleveland pitchers. 

• Upvote 1