Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...and how many were MLB pitchers who regularly and strenuously use their UCL ligaments? Sure if I'm just sitting on my couch drinking beer I might be able to avoid surgery, but to avoid it as a pitcher seems very unrealistic. 

I think the NIH study was for players. It mentions "return to play" and "sport". Don't know if it's ML players or what. 

5 minutes ago, G54377 said:

The comparison was only about the clubhouse being comfortable bringing him in. That's why I specifically mentioned that in my post. They are obviously not the same thing. 

Nelson Cruz was known to be  great clubhouse guy. Trevor Bauer is an egocentric narcissist who only cares about himself. I'm still not making the connection. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Nelson Cruz was known to be  great clubhouse guy. Trevor Bauer is an egocentric narcissist who only cares about himself. I'm still not making the connection. 

The connection is that our organization asked our team if they were comfortable brining him in. I'm not sure how I can make this any more clear. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

How long have you personally known Trevor?

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Then name some (MLB pitchers) other than Tanaka who avoided surgery. I can name two, Ohtani and deGrom, who didn't avoid it in 2023. 

Off the top of my head, Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke. Granted, they both when on to suffer different injuries, but not Tommy John.

I feel like "1/3rd" of 2021 MLB pitchers doesn't exactly get at the heart of it - the Clubs stream Driveline students of the week and many have very insubstantial careers but on a simple headcount they are the same as Strasburg or deGrom.    And Seth Johnsons get millions from Clubs in hopes they become MLB stalwarts but some never enter that count.

Last 10 Years, here are 107 pitchers who have cleared 800 innings.    These days 100 IP/season is all some length pitchers clear, and 800 in 10 allows them 2 years down for a TJ.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&type=8&month=0&ind=0&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2014&season=2023&qual=800

If anyone better at coding can cross-reference this with the TJ database, I'd take the Over on more than 1/3rd of those names showing up.     Just doing Top 10 by fWAR by hand:

No - Scherzer, Kershaw, Gerrit, Kluber, Nola, Greinke

Yes - deGrom, Verlander, Sale, Wheeler

I'd guess if you have enough MLB talent to sustain a career through Age ~33 such that Clubs actually want to use you a bunch, its more like 50/50.    Those first 10 best of the best become the best of the best in part because their bodies hold together long.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gQujXQQGOVNaiuwSN680Hq-FDVsCwvN-3AazykOBON0/edit#gid=0

• Upvote 2