Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

14 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's unbelievably naive to think that Bauer's on field performance is the only thing that matters. If he's a clubhouse cancer, that matters. If signing him will alienate a portion of the fanbase, that also matters. And his on field peformance is far from a given. He publicly admitted to cheating to increase his spin rate and was demoted to the minor leagues at one point in the NPB  last season because he was so bad. There are just as many red flags in Bauer's pitching profile as there are in his character, but his defenders tend to ignore and/or dismiss them when they defend their patron saint of a$$holedom.

If the players on the team are cool with it, I don’t care. 

There is absolutely zero risk for any player if they are signed to a league minimum deal.

You can find any reason you want for Bauer to not sign him but for the league minimum, the risk is fine.

Again, I’m not saying to sign him or not sign him. Just saying that I keep seeing this thought about how risky he is but that’s just not true. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is absolutely zero risk for any player if they are signed to a league minimum deal.

You can find any reason you want for Bauer to not sign him but for the league minimum, the risk is fine.

Again, I’m not saying to sign him or not sign him. Just saying that I keep seeing this thought about how risky he is but that’s just not true. 

There's brand risk not just to customers, but key stakeholders.    The basic outline of success for Elias in the next 10 years is to spend a billion or so efficiently on ~8 special players.    If Elias even went to the Clubhouse, what does he do if Adley is like Austin Powers "yeah, baby" and young husband Jackson Holliday seems bothered?

Bauer did post about the same numbers as Shota Imanaga his teammate last year, but he's older and peripherals were worse.    I do feel sure the Orioles have examined the 2023 pitch metrics considering the decision.     They'll never say a peep if the decision is pass.     

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

There's brand risk not just to customers, but key stakeholders.    The basic outline of success for Elias in the next 10 years is to spend a billion or so efficiently on ~8 special players.    If Elias even went to the Clubhouse, what does he do if Adley is like Austin Powers "yeah, baby" and young husband Jackson Holliday seems bothered?

Bauer did post about the same numbers as Shota Imanaga his teammate last year, but he's older and peripherals were worse.    I do feel sure the Orioles have examined the 2023 pitch metrics considering the decision.     They'll never say a peep if the decision is pass.     

And that brand risk goes away if he pitches well, the team wins and his teammates embrace him.

Now, while I did say that there is no risk involved, I would want to talk to the team (especially the team leaders) and make sure they are ok with it. I wouldn’t bring him in without finding that out.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

And that brand risk goes away if he pitches well, the team wins and his teammates embrace him.

Now, while I did say that there is no risk involved, I would want to talk to the team (especially the team leaders) and make sure they are ok with it. I wouldn’t bring him in without finding that out.

I think its an interesting exercise in information control and organization building who Elias would pick if he did this.    Let's say this morning Sig and Eve wake up and they don't even know because that's how Elias works, but he was texting with Mr. Rubenstein last night and has some new clarity.    Sig's team has given him various decision aids the last few weeks on this Bradish scenario.

Level 1 - Elias talks to Sig and Eve

Level 2 - they gather input from Brandon Hyde

Level 3 - decision still fuzzy, and needs more data.    Who makes the player invite list?    Corbin Burnes, or does he not matter?    Do Anthony Santander and Cedric Mullins' voices count for more than Gunnar Henderson or Jackson Holliday?    I guess if a clubbie interrupted the fourth human conversation between Adley Rutschman and Corbin Burnes with a "Skip needs to see both of you in his office for a minute", that could be a quick bonding moment for them as they work on 2024 together.    Maybe the best Bat and best Arm are all you need.

Certainly for Trevor Bauer hoping to rejoin MLB, these couple weeks are a very high leverage moment.    Will he love baseball enough to find another league in 2024 if its 30 No's?

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Brand risk comes back if “Baltimore Orioles’ Bauer stands trial for rape in Arizona” is a midsummer headline 

18 hours ago, sylvester said:

Trevor Bauer did nothing wrong.  He had relations with a female who tried to extort him.  Bauer fought and paid heavily to prove his innocence.  Bauer has been blackballed by MLB for possibly his political beliefs.  If the Orioles sign him we win AL East hands down.  And would be the favorites for the World Series if we are able to get a real closer.  Bauer said on the PBD broadcast he is willing to sign an incentive based contract where performance is rewarded.  It's a no lose situation.

LOL while I agree with you that the charges and fallout there-of mostly stem from social dynamics relating from the sexes.....the idea he is being blackballed for political beliefs is absurd. 

Mike Elias donated to a GOP political campaign and a number of players tend to be more on the conservative side of the spectrum. Some of our heroes wear red, some of them wear blue, it doesn't matter to me. Hell, I had a friend who ran fundraisers/events for a GOP senate leadership Super PAC that took place at a nationals players house in northern Virginia. 

The comments in this thread and others regarding Bauer's regression in Japan combined with a so-called toxic attitude seem to be the driving factor for why he remains un-signed. That being said, I'd kick the tires on him.

16 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's unbelievably naive to think that Bauer's on field performance is the only thing that matters. If he's a clubhouse cancer, that matters. If signing him will alienate a portion of the fanbase, that also matters. And his on field peformance is far from a given. He publicly admitted to cheating to increase his spin rate and was demoted to the minor leagues at one point in the NPB  last season because he was so bad. There are just as many red flags in Bauer's pitching profile as there are in his character, but his defenders tend to ignore and/or dismiss them when they defend their patron saint of a$$holedom.

He “cheated” to prove a point.  And that was that other pitchers were using sticky stuff.  He did it for one inning of one game to show that spin rate increased significantly by design .  Inning 1 he was normal, inning 2 used the sticky stuff to prove he could artificially increase spin rate mid game, inning three back to normal.  And guess what, that finally got MLBs attention (after his consistent clamoring people were doing it) because he was able to prove that adding 200rpm + by simply using sticky stuff was so easy. 

He’d a disruptor who has been ahead of the curve and pushed teammates that don’t hold themselves accountable and give max effort.  That is why he was unpopular.  You put him with a group of overachievers and he will fit right in. 

2 minutes ago, MDS29 said:

LOL while I agree with you that the charges and fallout there-of mostly stem from social dynamics relating from the sexes.....the idea he is being blackballed for political beliefs is absurd. 

Mike Elias donated to a GOP political campaign and a number of players tend to be more on the conservative side of the spectrum. Some of our heroes wear red, some of them wear blue, it doesn't matter to me. Hell, I had a friend who ran fundraisers/events for a GOP senate leadership Super PAC that took place at a nationals players house in northern Virginia. 

The comments in this thread and others regarding Bauer's regression in Japan combined with a so-called toxic attitude seem to be the driving factor for why he remains un-signed. That being said, I'd kick the tires on him.

I would go further and say that it’s likely most American baseball players are fairly right wing - hell, Machado is a MAGA dude and a guy who was repeatedly called out for on field behavior, yet got another $150 million on top of his $300 million deal. The only people who get dinged for it are the ones who keep having public meltdowns like Huff and Bauer

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

He “cheated” to prove a point.  And that was that other pitchers were using sticky stuff.  He did it for one inning of one game to show that spin rate increased significantly by design .  Inning 1 he was normal, inning 2 used the sticky stuff to prove he could artificially increase spin rate mid game, inning three back to normal.  And guess what, that finally got MLBs attention (after his consistent clamoring people were doing it) because he was able to prove that adding 200rpm + by simply using sticky stuff was so easy. 

He’d a disruptor who has been ahead of the curve and pushed teammates that don’t hold themselves accountable and give max effort.  That is why he was unpopular.  You put him with a group of overachievers and he will fit right in. 

Lmao at all of this. He won the cy young with spider tack to prove a point? He pushed teammates (he was called out by Gerrit Cole in college for having zero work ethic)? Bauer is a textbook dumb guy’s idea of a smart person. 

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If you truely believe that Trevor Bauer only cheated for one inning then there's really no point in continuing this back and forth because your reality and my reality are too far apart to ever reach a middle ground. 

2 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

I would go further and say that it’s likely most American baseball players are fairly right wing - hell, Machado is a MAGA dude and a guy who was repeatedly called out for on field behavior, yet got another $150 million on top of his $300 million deal. The only people who get dinged for it are the ones who keep having public meltdowns like Huff and Bauer

And Curt Schilling, good lord his brain has melted. But yes, I would imagine in most industries where merit and competition are valued, the participants will skew politically towards the right on average, it sort of selects for it.

A lot of these foreign players come from places with less than ideal politics, always an emotionally satisfying moment when you see guys like Melvin Mora become naturalized citizens and how much it means to them.

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If you truely believe that Trevor Bauer only cheated for one inning then there's really no point in continuing this back and forth because your reality and my reality are too far apart to ever reach a middle ground. 

Don't know what to tell you.  It's well documented.  You can go to his game logs and look at his spins rates and see that the aberration was only one inning and done so on purpose to prove a point.  Which is why he told the commissioner's office about it in an attempt to get spider tack banned from baseball.  But if you want to let your emotion cloud your judgement and grab a pitchfork, have at it.  I'm not going to try and stop you.  Seems about par for the course these days. 

• Upvote 1