Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

2 for 15 so far this week which includes a home run and 3 days of 0 fer's.  

He has definitely hit some sort of barrier here at the AAA/MLB level.   He is doing well if judged for what would be considered the average minor league player.  But obviously he, the Os, and the fans don't consider him the average minor league player.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:20 PM, Sports Guy said:

I won't be surprsed if Holliday goes on some kind of insane heater soon.  This kid was #1 prospect for a reason.  He has been humbled and is no doubt working like a beaver on whatever Sig/Elias has set out for him.  This is a kid who was a 19 year old millionaire.   In the offseason, he got married, was the #1 prospect in baseball and basically took no off days in the offseason.  I don't know about you, but if I was married and a millionaire at 19, baseball would not be my #1 focus.

On 5/17/2024 at 4:58 AM, Sports Guy said:

BTW, that’s Elias in the stands to the right. You can see him look up as Holliday makes contact.

LOL, absorbed in his phone so he missed seeing the pitch until the crack of the bat woke him out of phone-trance. :)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Holliday now has 120 AB in AAA this year: .275/.429/.458/.887, 4 HR, 10 2B, 3 SB. Overall, very good, especially the OBP. But it's hard to learn much from the statline when guys like Daniel Johnson are also lighting it up down there. 

What are folks' thoughts on the following:

• If he continues roughly an .850+ pace, what is the right time to bring him back up?
  • How will Elias know when to bring him up - what is he looking for beyond the statline? Exit velo? More XBH? Some nuanced, hard-to-quantify stuff relayed by AAA coaches? 
Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Holliday now has 120 AB in AAA this year: .275/.429/.458/.887, 4 HR, 10 2B, 3 SB. Overall, very good, especially the OBP. But it's hard to learn much from the statline when guys like Daniel Johnson are also lighting it up down there. 

What are folks' thoughts on the following:

• If he continues roughly an .850+ pace, what is the right time to bring him back up?
  • How will Elias know when to bring him up - what is he looking for beyond the statline? Exit velo? More XBH? Some nuanced, hard-to-quantify stuff relayed by AAA coaches? 

If/when Mateo goes into his annual funk?

I guess I'm wondering if the criteria for him coming back up is much more heavily weighted toward something on the ML club (i.e., Mateo slump or injury) than anything Holliday does at AAA. Like is there anything he can do at AAA to force Elias' hand prior to an injury/slump/trade necessitating a move? 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I'm wondering if the criteria for him coming back up is much more heavily weighted toward something on the ML club (i.e., Mateo slump or injury) than anything Holliday does at AAA. Like is there anything he can do at AAA to force Elias' hand prior to an injury/slump/trade necessitating a move? 

Of course. If he has made the adjustments they wanted and he’s hitting at a high level.

I think they will figure service time and super 2 into things now. I expect him to be up before July but later than early June.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don’t see them bringing Holliday up for spot duty, so there would need to be a spot where they think he’d be a significant upgrade in the short term.  That’s why I made my remark about Mateo.  Now, they could jettison Urias, bring up Holliday and return Mateo to platoon status even if he’s not slumping.  But that probably prevents a Mayo call-up once he’s healthy, so the O’s may be in no hurry on that.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course. If he has made the adjustments they wanted and he’s hitting at a high level.

I think they will figure service time and super 2 into things now. I expect him to be up before July but later than early June.

I doubt the O’s will decide anything based on Super 2, but if they did, they’d probably need to wait until late June to be safe, since Holliday already earned some service time in April.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt the O’s will decide anything based on Super 2, but if they did, they’d probably need to wait until late June to be safe, since Holliday already earned some service time in April.  

25-30M is a lot of money. I wouldnt dismiss that.

Yea I was thinking sometime in the June 15-25 range.