Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

2 hours ago, andymax said:

Can we change the thread title to 'OnlyOneOriole: Great Life, or Greatest Life?' Actually maybe we should have a sub-forum dedicated to him and his accomplishments.

I like "OnlyOneOriole, he's just better than you."

Back on topic since I knew that post I made would send many of you off into a 10/10 conniption fit and make you lose your minds....JH was 1 out of 5 tonight with a HR.

Still didn't like the swing as it looked exactly the same as what he has done all year, but a HR is a HR. 

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

None of my gold medals or Nobel prizes mean anything to me compared to the hundreds of children I pulled out of that burning bus last week.

Coincidentally, one of them was Jackson Holliday and I told him this guy who played tennis in high school said he stinks. 

Woah, I never put it together but now those red cheeks make sense. 

4 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

None of my gold medals or Nobel prizes mean anything to me compared to the hundreds of children I pulled out of that burning bus last week.

Coincidentally, one of them was Jackson Holliday and I told him this guy who played tennis in high school said he stinks. 

Have you decided which cancer to cure yet?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Might need a name change now that there is another Luis Matos in the league and doesn’t play for us 😉

12 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Here's the thing... and please understand that I only have HO posts to go on. You talk about yourself... a lot. You talk yourself up... a lot. Why not keep all of that to yourself?

I think we should all open up a little. You can go ahead and admit you're the Prime Minister of Moldova, won the javelin Gold Medal at the '76 Olympics, and are married to Gal Gadot's hotter, younger sister. It's not really boasting if it's true.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think we should all open up a little. You can go ahead and admit you're the Prime Minister of Moldova, won the javelin Gold Medal at the '76 Olympics, and are married to Gal Gadot's hotter, younger sister. It's not really boasting if it's true.

Most people that accomplished as athletes (or whatever else it might be) don't feel the need to boast about it or constantly build themselves up to the other people.  They are too busy trying to accomplish the next thing.  

Anyway, I would question the legitimacy of his claims.  Can you imagine being all-state in two different sports that occur during the same high school season, alternating practices every other day? 

What was that movie starring Leo DiCaprio where he was claiming to be a doctor and a lawyer? I've run across these people throughout my life, and 9 times out of 10 they are just compulsive liars.  

Edited by ChuckS

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Most people that accomplished as athletes (or whatever else it might be) don't feel the need to boast about it or constantly build themselves up to the other people.  They are too busy trying to accomplish the next thing.  

Anyway, I would question the legitimacy of his claims.  Can you imagine being all-state in two different sports that occur during the same high school season, alternating practices every other day? 

What was that movie starring Leo DiCaprio where he was claiming to be a doctor and a lawyer? I've run across these people throughout my life, and 9 times out of 10 they are just compulsive liars.  

I'm not going to pass judgment on the guy, but he's just a guy on the internet. If he really did all these things he can tell us who he is and there are ways of validating that. I'm a little skeptical when he says things like his Dad was a Big 10 coach who worked with Mike Schmidt, who went to Ohio U, not Big 10 school Ohio State. But maybe he ran across Schmidt somewhere else.

I think most people here know my real name from when I was a writer on the site years ago, and it would take about five minutes of Googling to verify that I, in fact, am not the King of Liechtenstein. Everyone knows I was deposed in that coup back in '13.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Anyway, I would question the legitimacy of his claims.  Can you imagine being all-state in two different sports that occur during the same high school season, alternating practices every other day?  What was that movie starring Leo DiCaprio where he was claiming to be a doctor and a lawyer?

I've run across these people throughout my life, and 9 times out of 10 they are just compulsive liars.  

Definitely agree with you here, but it really doesn’t even matter. Being a great athlete doesn’t make you a great coach, scout, or GM. Athletic accomplishments mean very little when it comes to someone’s ability to evaluate and coach players. Cal is in the Hall of Fame and most don’t really care that much about his opinion on Holliday. Brady was a better baseball player than any of us here, but that certainly didn’t make him good for the front office. Honestly, it probably made him worse. I’m pretty sure Sig only ever played little league and I’d much rather have him in the front office than any former players. So I’m really not sure why any of us should care about anyone’s bowling averages. 

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

I am beginning to think there is a little Matt Weiters in Holliday.  Maybe he just had an outsized year in the minors.  I still think he will be good, just not insanely good. 

It's way too early to make that call. At Holliday's age, Matt Wieters was a sophomore in college.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

It's way too early to make that call. At Holliday's age, Matt Wieters was a sophomore in college.

He was 22 when he had that amazing minor league season. It’s not too crazy.  As I said, I think Holliday will be good, just maybe not great. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

He was 22 when he had that amazing minor league season. It’s not too crazy.  As I said, I think Holliday will be good, just maybe not great. 

Are you basing it off his 40 some odd plate appearances this season?

• Upvote 1

One observation that I noticed since ST.  And, hey, if it works who cares.  Holliday looks like he’s coming out of his shoes on almost every swing.  I’m sure Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo are taking max effort swings too.  But they look more in control.   He’s not a big guy compared to those three, Westburg and Henderson.  It looks like a small guy trying to keep up with the big guys.  And I know that Mookie Betts is not a big guy and you don’t have to be big to generate power but it doesn’t hurt.  

I remember once he was asked about the all-star summer circuit in HS and why he didn’t do so well.  I’ll try to find the interview.  Essentially he said he was trying to do too much.