Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

23 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The kid is special.  His swing is a thing of beauty.  Balance, flexibility, & violent but controlled torque.  

I have to admit, when he was struggling on his return to AAA, I thought maybe he should be the prospect of the big 3 traded for an ace.  Well of course, Elias knows best.  Elias speaks in almost reverential terms of Jackson like he's his favorite son, we're starting to see why.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I have to admit, when he was struggling on his return to AAA, I thought maybe he should be the prospect of the big 3 traded for an ace.  Well of course, Elias knows best.  Elias speaks in almost reverential terms of Jackson like he's his favorite son, we're starting to see why.

He’s a pro’s pro.  And, he’s not surprised at what he’s doing.  He expects it. 

Edited by emmett16

That is almost a Griffey-Esque swing. Griffey didn’t try to hit homers, they were just a byproduct of that swing. 

I’m surprised he’s hitting for this amount of power this soon after being called back up.  This is the type of tear I’d expect after he got his feet wet a little bit, maybe sometime next year. 

It’s not a fluke, either. The exit velocities are elite. He’s making hard contact consistently. 

I am absolutely thrilled we did not draft Druw Jones. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If Holliday is going to show this kind of power going forward are we looking at a 2nd baseman who hits like Ken Griffey Jr. ? I didn’t see that coming. 

No.  He’s on a heater.  He will even out, but the good news is the hard hit rate.  He’s pounding everything.  Historically he hasn’t consistently hit balls hard in the air pull side.  

Edited by emmett16

He’s looking very good.  The homers are partially a product of a couple of terrible pitches.  Some days you get one to hit, some days you don’t.  But he knows what to do when he gets one.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But the leg kick!  

lol yea, still there.  Thats his timing.  One thing I’ve noticed is that his head is much more still through the swing.  Sometimes a big leg kick will move your eyes up and down.  Balance is the key. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That is almost a Griffey-Esque swing. Griffey didn’t try to hit homers, they were just a byproduct of that swing. 

I’m surprised he’s hitting for this amount of power this soon after being called back up.  This is the type of tear I’d expect after he got his feet wet a little bit, maybe sometime next year. 

It’s not a fluke, either. The exit velocities are elite. He’s making hard contact consistently. 

I am absolutely thrilled we did not draft Druw Jones. 

Yep. And while Holliday isn't close to qualifying based on number of at bats his average exit velocity, barrel % and hard hit % are all elite.

image.thumb.png.b69506e50cb34d7ec250d5d33f35b7e8.png

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yep. And while Holliday isn't close to qualifying based on number of at bats his average exit velocity, barrel % and hard hit % are all elite.

image.thumb.png.b69506e50cb34d7ec250d5d33f35b7e8.png

and that’s after a 2-34 stretch….

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the leg kick!  

Ben McDonald, who I don’t always agree with, made the point that he’s not opening up too early like he was back in April.   That’s spot on.   There’s a reason he had no power, got beat consistently with fastballs, and couldn’t cover the outer half.   He needed to make changes and he did.   The leg kick itself may not have been the cause but he certainly got into some really bad habits.

As Holliday himself said, “When you open up too early, bad things tend to happen.”

Anyone who thinks this was all mental ……..   Well, it wasn’t.  😀

17 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

No.  He’s on a heater.  He will even out, but the good news is the hard hit rate.  He’s pounding everything.  Historically he hasn’t consistently hit balls hard in the air pull side.  

Is this true? I could only find one minor league spray chart and it showed most of his XBH going to right field. 
I’d be ok with 500 HR’s, not gonna get greedy with the Jr 600+ club. Maybe put one on the Warehouse in the home run derby in a few years.