Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

I just don't get the notion that he can't learn anything in AAA, as if he's graduated after dominating for 10 games this year (and not really more than much of the rest of the team at the time), and having a solid 18 AAA games last year. He's had barely more than a month in AAA.

I do think he would eventually right the ship here in MLB, but he can also make the needed adjustments in AAA without hurting the big league team, and get the O's that extra year of control. His odds of winning ROY have gotten a lot lower so I don't think that is much of a factor anymore either.

Not only this but the odds on favorite for ROTY might be on his team. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Elias is not going to say publicly that Holliday has lost his confidence.  And that’s not h how  I’d put it anyway.  It’s more  that he’s just ovethinking things.  And rookies get sent to the minors all the time to get things reset.  You’re acting like that’s an unusual thing, but you are well aware it happens every day.  Whether Holliday gets another couple of days or another couple of weeks to turn things around is a matter of judgment, but he doesn’t get months at this level.  

So then you think Elias is lying publicly?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So then you think Elias is lying publicly?

Who in the world would ever accuse him of lying publicly?

Maybe it’s just as simple as Elias realizing he made a dumb decision and that’s that. I would guess we hear him speak on it today and he probably mentions how the SSS was important but that’s just bs.

Guess who said that?  

This one seems appropriate regarding Hollidays confidence.

Ezoic
The comment about Ortiz is GM  speak  and exactly what he should say. 

Hmmm. Guess who said that?

Edited by RZNJ

IMO, neither Elias or Hyde would put a player in a position that would damage them long term. And, they will verbally support their players as opposed to adding to their struggles. They are giving Holliday chances to succeed.  The rest is on him. If Holliday can't handle this or any potential future reset like GRod or Cowser, then he isn't the player we all think he is. I was in the camp that wanted him up. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it to the Yankee series if things don't make a very positive change. Hyde talks about professional at bats. I'm not seeing many with Holliday. That has got to change - soon.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Who had the OH turning on Jackson Holliday in less than 10 days?

I took the over, but I am an optimist. 

Turning on Holliday would be saying he’s never going to be any good.  Questioning if he’s ready after one single in 32 PA with 16 strikeouts seems pretty fair to me.

Edited by RZNJ

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Turning on Holliday would be saying he’s never going to be any good.  Questioning if he’s ready after one single in 32 PA with 16 strikeouts seems pretty fair to me.

His K rate is improving

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do believe I've seen people say that he needs to go down. 

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Some people were saying that after about the 3rd game.

If you are still arguing with anyone now it was over 10 pages ago. SG and baltfan were arguing like they were on polar opposites sides, then realized they both thought he should be given 1-2 weeks.

Within the first three days the main questions were whether he should be married at age 20 and whether the parents should keep going to the games.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's semantics obviously.  I agree that questioning if he's ready is fair.  I think saying anything definitively after 32 PA is not.

He did hit one yesterday right on the screws in a big spot.  If that ball goes 2-3 feet in either direction the conversation today is probably a little different.  He looked bad against the lefty reliever, but I expect him to look bad against pretty much all lefty relievers at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

IMO, neither Elias or Hyde would put a player in a position that would damage them long term. And, they will verbally support their players as opposed to adding to their struggles. They are giving Holliday chances to succeed.  The rest is on him. If Holliday can't handle this or any potential future reset like GRod or Cowser, then he isn't the player we all think he is. I was in the camp that wanted him up. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it to the Yankee series if things don't make a very positive change. Hyde talks about professional at bats. I'm not seeing many with Holliday. That has got to change - soon.

I agree with the professional ABs part. And have thought about him being given a chance against Tuesday’s starter for the Angels and the A’s pitching this weekend. If he cannot build some positive momentum facing “weaker” pitching, then it may be time for a reset?

However, I very much believe in his talent and am very confident that he will become a star. I know many don’t want to accept/believe it (because we live in a very instantaneous society) but most often these things take time.

What is surprising to me is to see vet/extremely knowledgeable posters speak so harshly about the kid, as if we didn’t just watch so many of our budding stars struggle out of the gate. Yes, his struggles have been worse, but he is also the youngest/most inexperienced prospect that we have had (certainly amongst the current crop).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

It's semantics obviously.  I agree that questioning if he's ready is fair.  I think saying anything definitively after 32 PA is not.

He did hit one yesterday right on the screws in a big spot.  If that ball goes 2-3 feet in either direction the conversation today is probably a little different.  He looked bad against the lefty reliever, but I expect him to look bad against pretty much all lefty relievers at this point in his career.

It was hard hit. 96 mph, I think.  I think it was a breaking ball that stayed up a little.   He seems to have trouble with anything hard, especially up.  He looked like he could handle the hard stuff in ST so I don’t know what the problem is now.