Matt Holliday not happy

Sports Guy

Just now, dystopia said:

Is there any indication Holliday wants an extension? There is not much precedent for Boras clients getting extensions. Players do not hire Boras to get extensions. 

Hiring Boras is kind of an FU to the organization you’re playing for. 

Maybe that sounds harsh but… it’s hard not to see it that way. 

I don't see it that way.

i see it as players wanting to maximize their earnings.

I work for a company, I'd rather make more than make less.

Some fans have this expectation that players should be loyal to the teams when teams are very rarely loyal to the players.

It's a job.  If I could get a 30% raise by switching to one of my employer's competitors I'm gone.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see it that way.

i see it as players wanting to maximize their earnings.

I work for a company, I'd rather make more than make less.

Some fans have this expectation that players should be loyal to the teams when teams are very rarely loyal to the players.

It's a job.  If I could get a 30% raise by switching to one of my employer's competitors I'm gone.

When you make as much money as athletes do, it looks bad. 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Wot?

Where do you put the line?  Five bucks more than you make?

Rubenstien is worth 4.6B.

It looks bad when his ( very soon to be) team wants to save a few bucks at the expense of a 20 year old.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Holding this against them is completely wrong.

It never looks bad to do what’s best for you and your family. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wot?

Where do you put the line?  Five bucks more than you make?

Rubenstien is worth 4.6B.

It looks bad when his ( very soon to be) team wants to save a few bucks at the expense of a 20 year old.

My point is you can't complain that much about service time manipulation as a player when you hire Boras as your agent. 

As fans we can complain because we want to see the best team on the field, and giving the Kemps and Wongs of the world spots on the roster over Holliday is not doing that. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

My point is you can't complain that much about service time manipulation as a player when you hire Boras as your agent. 

As fans we can complain because we want to see the best team on the field, and giving the Kemps and Wongs of the world spots on the roster over Holliday is not doing that. 

Boras has zero to do with it.

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Sure you can.

They didn't hold him back because his agent was Boras. 

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Matt Holliday was pretty big in the players union. Why didn’t the players vote for a salary cap, and franchise tag?  They voted for these rules. The vets in the player’s union screw over the young guys. Now his son is one of the young guys. 

Something tells me his son will come out just fine under the existing system.  

26 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Really? They are human beings just like the rest of us. They have a very small window to capitalize on the earning potential.

Why should the player be loyal to the org if the org (who has much more money than the player could ever dream of making) is not loyal to them? (won't extend them or offer fair market contract)

So say it looks bad for the athletes, but I would argue it's MUCH worse for the owners to "pinch pennies" and haggle the players of a few million when they have BILLIONS.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What’s your evidence?  Are Boras clients the only ones who get held back because of service time? 

I wouldn't say the only ones but it definitely happens way  more often with his clients.