Great day to be an O’s fan

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, I guess you just came to tap dance on the recently deceased's grave.  

I hope you feel better about yourself.  

truth aint always pretty but it is still the truth, Pete sucked as an owner, his death doesn’t change that. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We did win 101 games last year and traded for a pitcher that is favored to win the AL CYA. With the #1 farm system in baseball. 

Who was having not “great” days recently as O’s fans?  

I don't know how it felt for you, but when we got swept by the Rangers and our pitching staff got bombed the last 2 games, that didn't feel like a "great day day" at all.

Also, the #1 farm system is great. But the talent has to be deployed properly in order to maximize value. The fact is we have no pitcher amongst the talent of that #1 farm system and redundant position players. We have a log jam forming at AAA where legit Major League ready players are being parked at AAA.

It didn't/doesn't feel great watching the talent to begin the season in Norfolk's infield while Tony Kemp occupies a spot on the Orioles. JBH

3 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

Yes, and I still think we are in a better place today than when PA purchased the franchise. I genuinely don't see a contradiction there.

Yes, we are in a better spot now than in ‘93, though that wasn’t a bad spot either.   But it’s not PA who put us in a better spot.   He didn’t hire Elias, John did.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well you said it was the biggest Angelos fan club, then you get upset when people take you literally after you point out that there was a smattering of positive posts about his ownership.  

Sorry for taking you literally, won't let it happen again.

Thank you. It was an awful take because a few people in a thread about his death, didn't dance on his grave. 

"Can" actually hit it on the head with Peter Angelos as owner. He was not a good owner, and his son was an obnoxious self-important know it all who sought the lime light despite doing one thing right, and that was hiring Elias. 

This board has been 95% or more negative towards the Angelos family owning this team and saying THE BOARD is the biggest Angelos fan club is ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

Yes, and I still think we are in a better place today than when PA purchased the franchise. I genuinely don't see a contradiction there.

They were drawing 3.5M a year, they could afford the highest payroll in the league, had a winning record.  They were in fine shape when he bought the team.

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I'll take the ban over apologizing for something so ridiculous. This board takes itself way too seriously. If you think that's worthy of a ban, so be it, I don't care. Judging by the fact that my post got 4 upvotes, it seems plenty of people were not offended by what was obviously a light-hearted, hyperbolic remark. 

It was not an "obviously a light-hearted, hyperbolic remark." And yes I do take things seriously when people generalize the board as something it's not. I actually agree with your take that the Angelos family were terrible owners, but I'm not going to sit around and watch your dog out our community with BS.

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Let’s all take a sec and enjoy the moment for a minute. We’ve been waiting a long time for something like this.

It looks like he's as big a fanboy as the rest of us.  Exciting.

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Let’s all take a sec and enjoy the moment for a minute. We’ve been waiting a long time for something like this.

Beat me to it. Just awesome.  Now, let’s get these kids extended and just be willing to take the payroll into the 150M range or so, stay out of Elias’ way and we will all be happy.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

But like, I do think that. I think that if you look at where we are today, the positives over PA's tenure outweigh the negatives. It's not an unreasonable take.

Would you be willing to say more about this?

By my count under the 30 years of Angelos ownership, 10 ended with a winning record and 1 we went .500. During that time how many organization have had a worse record than us?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, we are in a better spot now than in ‘93, though that wasn’t a bad spot either.   But it’s not PA who put us in a better spot.   He didn’t hire Elias, John did.  

I never said otherwise...

The one thing I will say about Peter vs his son is that I think Peter did care. He just didn’t have a clue as to how to run a team and didn’t want to trust anyone else to do it.

But he gave a damn about the team, city and most of the players.

I don’t think John cares about anything but money.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Would you be willing to say more about this?

By my count under the 30 years of Angelos ownership, 10 ended with a winning record and 1 we went .500. During that time how many organization have had a worse record than us?

I am not using on-field results to judge, I'm saying the position the team is in now, with Elias, the farm system, etc. There were definitely bad times, lots of them, and I would never claim otherwise.

And I do give PA credit specifically for MASN, he did foresee the whole Gnats thing and secured us something in exchange for losing such a huge chunk of our potential fan base.

Edited by elextrano8

4 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

I never said otherwise...

This is the post in the Angelos death thread I was referring to. He explicitly credits Angelos for being a positive impact on the franchise.