2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

4 minutes ago, banks703 said:

You wrote that Adley doesn’t hit lead off anymore because it’s too hard for him to take off the gear between innings. So I’m asking what he does in the games games when his turn in the order comes up to start the O’s half of the inning..?

I’m poking fun because your claim isn’t remotely accurate or sensible. There are lots of games that he’s catching and he’s first to hit in their half of the inning. 

If Adley doesn't like having to do it, wouldn't it make sense not to have him do it when possible?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Adley doesn't like having to do it, wouldn't it make sense not to have him do it when possible?

Who says he doesn’t like doing it? I’ve never read that claim.

Again, I’ll ask; if this is true then what does he do when he’s catching and hitting first in their half of the inning?

25 minutes ago, banks703 said:

You wrote that Adley doesn’t hit lead off anymore because it’s too hard for him to take off the gear between innings. So I’m asking what he does in the games games when his turn in the order comes up to start the O’s half of the inning..?

I’m poking fun because your claim isn’t remotely accurate or sensible. There are lots of games that he’s catching and he’s first to hit in their half of the inning. 

I didn't make this up. Hyde said it at one point, I'm almost certain. 

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Who says he doesn’t like doing it? I’ve never read that claim.

Again, I’ll ask; if this is true then what does he do when he’s catching and hitting first in their half of the inning?

You've never read the claim?

I've read the claim, it's basically what you just said.

It's too hard for him to do it so he doesn't like to do it.  I've seen it here for weeks.

If it's hard for him to do it, why wouldn't he dislike doing it?

As for "what he does?"  He does it, he just would rather not DO IT MORE OFTEN.

I don't like to stay late at work.  Sometimes I have to do it, but I'd rather not.  I don't ask to do it.

Lineup order isn't important, the comfort of the players probably makes more of an impact.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has he said he doesn’t like it?  

A non-leadoff hitter like Santander ends up leading off an inning about 19% of the time.  A pure leadoff hitter like Mullins in 2022 leads off about 39% of the time.  So, batting in the no. 1 spot means maybe one extra time per game getting out of the equipment quickly at the end of an inning.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has he said he doesn’t like it?  

A non-leadoff hitter like Santander ends up leading off an inning about 19% of the time.  A pure leadoff hitter like Mullins in 2022 leads off about 39% of the time.  So, batting in the no. 1 spot means maybe one extra time per game getting out of the equipment quickly at the end of an inning.  

Supposedly he has mentioned it to Hyde.

I read about it here.

Seems reasonable to me but I haven't discussed it with him.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read about it here.

It’s reasonable to me, I just haven’t heard it.  

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read about it here.

Would love the quote.

I don’t know AR personally but I find it extremely hard to believe that he would say this to the manager, especially given that it’s maybe an equally extreme possibility that he could leave off an inning any game that he is catching.

”Yeah. I don’t feel like rushing the extra 20 seconds to take off the gear to lead off the inning. Please hit for me.”

This is a wild claim. Please cite your source. 

• Confused 1

Just now, banks703 said:

Would love the quote.

I don’t know AR personally but I find it extremely hard to believe that he would say this to the manager, especially given that it’s maybe an equally extreme possibility that he could leave off an inning any game that he is catching.

”Yeah. I don’t feel like rushing the extra 20 seconds to take off the gear to lead off the inning. Please hit for me.”

This is a wild claim. Please cite your source. 

What?

I said I read it here.

Can't you read?

As for me I can totally see Adley or any other player going, Hey Skip, it's kind of a pain to do this and I'd rather hit second if it's OK with you.

I'm not suggesting he would flat out refuse to bat leadoff but yea, communication is important and if he isn't comfortable doing it, I would expect him to say something.  Why wouldn't he? 

Once again, lineup order doesn't much effect scoring so player comfort is a good a reason as any.

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read about it here.

You can give me the googly eyes all you want but unless you have a quote you’re just regurgitating nonsense.

See @Frobbycited numbers for how often a non leadoff hitter ends up leading off an inning. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What?

I said I read it here.

Can't you read?

As for me I can totally see Adley or any other player going, Hey Skip, it's kind of a pain to do this and I'd rather hit second if it's OK with you.

I'm not suggesting he would flat out refuse to bat leadoff but yea, communication is important and if he isn't comfortable doing it, I would expect him to say something.  Why wouldn't he? 

Once again, lineup order doesn't much effect scoring so player comfort is a good a reason as any.

Not feeling comfortable leading off and not wanting to lead off because of the 20 seconds it takes to take off the gear are not the same thing. 

Just now, banks703 said:

You can give me the googly eyes all you want but unless you have a quote you’re just regurgitating nonsense.

See @Frobbycited numbers for how often a non leadoff hitter ends up leading off an inning. 

Like I said, can you read?

Of course I'm regurgitating what I saw here I SAID AS MUCH.

Geez.

Part of being a good manager, in baseball or anywhere else, is to put your people in a position to succeed.  If Adley would rather not deal with the hassle any more than he has to, OK, how is that a problem?

1 minute ago, banks703 said:

Not feeling comfortable leading off and not wanting to lead off because of the 20 seconds it takes to take off the gear are not the same thing. 

Once again, lineup order is mostly meaningless.

So if it makes a player happier, why not do it?