2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

What in the world is Hays here for if he's not playing against LHP?

Actually, I love the confidence and patience Hyde is showing with Cowser but it is surprising that Hays isn’t in for either Cowser or Mullins.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm wondering the same thing. Hopefully a member of the media will ask Hyde about it before the game.

3 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I'm wondering the same thing. Hopefully a member of the media will ask Hyde about it before the game.

Hays has reverse splits for career. He’s a better defensive replacement.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bad career numbers against Kikuchi, so I could see them thinking they want to ease him back in against a more favorable matchup. But we’ve got 8 RHPs in a row scheduled to start against us, including the three absolute studs from Seattle — so I’m not sure he’s got a better matchup coming in the near future.

Is this giving Mullins a ridiculously long leash a Hyde thing? Similar to the love he always showed for McKenna no matter what.

He's not only not hitting, he's not even coming close to hard contact. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe Hays isn't playing because of the wet field conditions and added risk of re-injury.  

This was my main thought as well, but like, if you can't play him on less-than-ideal conditions, he shouldn't be off the IL. 

11 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Hays has reverse splits for career. He’s a better defensive replacement.

He doesn’t have extreme platoon splits, but they’re still traditional splits. 111 wRC+ against lefties, 101 wRC+ against righties.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Provided the O's win tomorrow and even better if the Yankees lose tomorrow, the O's will be within range of the division lead. The players are focused on tomorrow's game, but I figured I would take a look ahead at the series. The good:  O's don't have to face Gil or Rodon.  Gil pitched Friday, but Gil seems to have been given extra rest or Yankees are going to 6 man rotation?  O's offense has been resurgent lately and the coldest bats in May are some of the hottest like Santander and Urias and Hays(maybe?).  Gunnar and Adley continue to dependable cogs of the offense. The bad:  Judge has just been mashing the ball since the O's/Yankees early season meeting.  Soto is healthy after the forearm soreness.  Some guy the Yankees signed as a depth move, Cody Poteet, who had a 19-39 minor league record, now has a ERA barely over 2 in limited action.  Poteet is Tuesday's starter.  Cole had 10 K's in 4 1/3 innings in his last rehab start and is likely Wednesday's starter.  Yankees barely have any injuries. The ugly:  The state of the O's bullpen compared to the teams' first meeting.  Danny Coulombe, maybe our best reliever was a huge loss.  Not having Bradish for Thursday game is huge.  Winning 2 of 3 would be great.  Realistically, I would be happy if the O's don't get swept. Tuesday:   Suarez (3-0, 1.61 ERA)  vs Poteet (3-0, 2.14 ERA) Wednesday:  Povich (0-1, 4,76 ERA) vs Undecided (Cole?) 0-0 Thursday:  Irvin (6-3, 3.03 ERA) vs Cortes (3-5, 3.59 ERA)
    • This would be a perfect time for the NYY to go on a nice losing streak...
    • 1) Jack flaherty had like 5 or 6 good starts in a row before we traded for him. His overall era wasn’t great, but the month or so before he had been pitching much better.    2) whip plays a bit better as a reliever if it’s walks and high k rate when they are less worried about managing pitch count over 5+ innings. It’s not ideal but it plays better out of the pen (see dl hall) 3) Burnes is a top 5 pitcher in baseball, and we got him for a full season. Tanner Scott is nowhere near a top 5 reliever and we’d probably get him for 2 months.    if we got Scott for a package like what we gave up for flaherty or a bit better, I’m fine with it. Norby if we are convinced that is the reliever that gets us over the hump. But I’m not sure Scott is that guy, or that we are one reliever away (especially if bradish is out). 
    • 100% There just aren’t that many foolish GMs like there used to be (Bedard trade etc). Teams have a deep brain trust they covet to prevent getting fleeced like the Chris Archer trade.
    • I’d be highly surprised if he didn’t. Can’t argue with the results though. Burnes has pitched 33 innings and given up 4 earned runs in last 5 starts. All with McCann catching him.
  • Popular Contributors