Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

Just now, baltfan said:

Agreed I just cited a few examples.  Do you have something more concrete?  

No.  I concede that getting strikeouts and missing bats is a bad thing and guys who do that aren’t good in October.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No im not and citing a few examples here and there doesn’t change simple math and what usually works.

Max Fried won a world series and he's got basically the same profile as 2024 Corbin Burnes - K% in the 23s, excellent xwOBA despite a middle-tier K rate, and an ERA under 3. I think you should have some faith in Burnes considering he got people out with this profile last year too; there might be a generalized best way to skin a cat but there's definitely more than one way to do it.

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

Max Fried won a world series and he's got basically the same profile as 2024 Corbin Burnes - K% in the 23s, excellent xwOBA despite a middle-tier K rate, and an ERA under 3. I think you should have some faith in Burnes considering he got people out with this profile last year too; there might be a generalized best way to skin a cat but there's definitely more than one way to do it.

The idea that I don’t have faith in Burnes is laughable. You aren’t discussing this in good faith if you think that.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No.  I concede that getting strikeouts and missing bats is a bad thing and guys who do that aren’t good in October.  

People are betting the strike out props for Burnes. That Under has come in a lot. It was Over 5.5 the last game. So when someone cries on here about Ks it’s likely because they’re 8 game parlay lost. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People are betting the strike out props for Burnes. That Under has come in a lot. It was Over 5.5 the last game. So when someone cries on here about Ks it’s likely because they’re 8 game parlay lost. 

Just so long as none of the Orioles pitching strategists are pals with Tucupita Marcano.

Burnes having had the 2000 Pedro blaze of glory I think kind of goofs up his trend lines.

Burnes on pedigree is Kyle Bradish, a ~$500k college arm.     We don't really long haul know if front offices led by Luhnow GM tree branches like Stearns and Elias can repeatably get Cy Young winners and finalists out of that demographic.     

I am curious it if comes out during recruitment if Burnes has an ax to grind with David Stearns, or if Stearns can pull off an "It wasn't me" kind of thing.    He's kind of Elias with Steve Cohen's money, and an even larger dossier on the player.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that I don’t have faith in Burnes is laughable. You aren’t discussing this in good faith if you think that.

It sure sounds like you have doubts about him in the playoffs because of his K rate.

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You should try reading better.

You should try not gaslighting us.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:22 PM, Sports Guy said:

My concern isn’t now as much as it is in the playoffs. I don’t want some pitch to contact version of Burnes out there.

Im not saying that will happen and I don’t think it will happen but there have been too many low Ks, low missed bats starts for me early on…I don’t want that to become a trend all season long and into October.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Hallas said:

You should try not gaslighting us.

Pitch to contact guys aren’t optimal in Oct.  allow the best teams and best offenses to hit and hope you catch it isn’t a good strategy.  Zero people believe that.

In not worried that Burnes will do that but he’s a guy you acquired to be your Game 1, shut down guy who carries your rotation through a postseason. He won’t be that missing less than 10 bats and striking out 4 guys.

Anyway, I’m not saying this is what Burnes will do. I’m saying if this trend continues, I don’t see him being the guy we hoped he would be.  I was very clear about that. 

So no, I’m not saying I don’t have faith in him because I don’t think he’s going to become some middling pitch to contact guy.

Edited by Sports Guy